PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk boots

eco
10-22-2005, 07:14
I should probably start by saying that I'm a boot guy. I like big, burly go anywhere, do anything boots. Even out for just a day hike I where a hearty backpacking boot. Heck, late spring/summer excluded, I spend most of my time in my boots. Just always have.

My favorite pair ever were my Vasque Montanas, which after a considerable break-in period served me well through many years and multiple resoles. Unfortunately, they didn't make the trip back with me from ME one year and I never saw them again and by this time they were no longer on store shelves. I ended up with a pair of LaSportiva Makalus, that while excellent all purpose boots, just never fit me quite right. Even after 2 years I don't look forward to lacing them up. This was not the case with the Montanas. They were like gloves, heavy gloves, but gloves nonetheless.

So, I recently was introduced to Limmer. After trying on multiple sizes of lightweights, I couldn't find a size/width combination that worked for me until I tried the midweights. Perfection. They fit incredibly well right out of the box. I expect a similar break-in to the montanas but I also expect years of glove-like fit to follow.

I guess I am looking for your thoughts on footwear for the trail, specifically in regard to limmer. People I have talked to either love 'em or hate 'em. I have read a number of posts from people touting trail runners and lowcut light hikers. Those just aren't for me. Don't get me wrong, I have a very nice pair of trail runners but they serve a different purpose altogether than my boots do.

Oh yea, I am particularly interested in what the big guys/gals are wearing. I'm run about 6'1" 225lbs.

DLFrost
10-23-2005, 17:17
I guess I am looking for your thoughts on footwear for the trail, specifically in regard to limmer. People I have talked to either love 'em or hate 'em. I have read a number of posts from people touting trail runners and lowcut light hikers. Those just aren't for me. Don't get me wrong, I have a very nice pair of trail runners but they serve a different purpose altogether than my boots do.

Oh yea, I am particularly interested in what the big guys/gals are wearing. I'm run about 6'1" 225lbs.
I'm suspicious, but I'll give the New Balance thing a try and we'll see. But really I'm a boot guy also.

I want a boot that is waterproof right up to my ankle because experience has taught me that anything less means wet feet. Problem is, I have an unusually long, narrow foot which most boot/shoe makers can't be bothered to design for... I think that's one of the reasons why people have gravitated to the runners: an almost-fits runner is more forgiving on the foot than an almost-fits boot.

I usually end up buying a cleaper boot at the required size and padding the hell out of it. Bah.

Doug Frost

Almost There
10-23-2005, 17:25
Asolo 520s. I need a deep heel cup and these were the deepest I could find. Full leather. I too am a fan of the boot. 6ft, 245lbs.

TooTall
10-23-2005, 17:39

At 6'7" and 307lbs I'm cruising the AT in size 14 Merrell Chameleon XCRs.

TooTall
10-23-2005, 17:42
I want a boot that is waterproof right up to my ankle because experience has taught me that anything less means wet feet.

Your feet are going to get wet no matter what you do. Get a shoe that will let your feet dry out quickly (nylon/fabric uppers).

SGT Rock
10-23-2005, 17:55
Funny you mention that. This last weekend I was hiking with my boys and my Aunt. She has nice leather boots, the standard cushion sock and liners, while we all just wear trail runners and light running socks. Slickrock Creek and lots of trail crossings where we just plowed right through it and kept on hiking while she is hopping from rock to rock trying not to get her boots wet on the inside and soak her socks. Finally she asks me how we can do that without a care in the world - the explanation is easy and now she said she is looking for some hiking sandals.

After all, there is a rule of physics somewhere that show how the more waterproof a pair of boots are, the longer it takes to dry them out. I just gotta find it ;)

rickb
10-23-2005, 18:05
Merrel Wilderness, leather lined when lugging a pack, NB 704 when not. Sorrels when in the snow. Size 13. 6'-3" 220#.

DLFrost
10-26-2005, 03:07
Your feet are going to get wet no matter what you do. Get a shoe that will let your feet dry out quickly (nylon/fabric uppers).
This ain't sellin.... There's a big difference between dampness trapped in the socks and water actually having run into your boot/shoe--at least to me anyway. I'd rather rotate socks for drying two or three times a day. But like I said, I'll give the NB shoes a go and we'll see.

Doug Frost

MedicineMan
10-26-2005, 04:08
all no good for me, never could get the heel to lock, they are in the storage room with many other pairs of boots

kyhipo
10-26-2005, 08:41
a couple of months ago a came across 'Gaerne Boots' Italian made and very comfy for being all leather ,vibram soles,good ankle support I would check them out on the Web;) ky

stupe
10-26-2005, 10:26
I like boots, too, but stopped with the whole GoreTex thing a while ago. I just get plain leather boots, they get wet, they dry out, they get wet. I bring lots of socks, two pair of dry wool socks make wet boots seem almost dry for about half a day or so.

the goat
10-26-2005, 10:34
in '01, i wore the same pair of montrail morraine a.t.'s from katahdin, all the way to n.o.c.
could've worn 'em further, but i had kicked holes at the bottom of each toe and they were taking in too much water.