PDA

View Full Version : Early-Mid February Hike - Foothills Trail?

Coffee
11-19-2014, 18:36
I'm interested in spending a week or so backpacking in the early-mid February timeframe next year. This will also be a final gear shakedown for the PCT. My reading so far leads me to believe that the Foothills Trail might be a good option for that time of year, although I am open to suggestions. I also have looked at the Florida Trail, specifically Ocala National Forest which seems to have reasonable access from Orlando. But I can easily drive to either Foothills Trail terminus in about 8 hours while going to Florida would more likely than not involve catching a flight.

I'm looking for something that doesn't have a huge amount of logistical issues and has low probability of below freezing and/or snowy winter weather. Of course, I can get to many parts of the AT with much less driving but the weather is more likely to be cold and snowy.

I'm thinking that the Foothills Trail could be comfortably hiked in 3-4 days.

The Solemates
11-19-2014, 18:45
I've done the foothills in 4 days, but for me that is humping it and I would consider myself a strong hiker. As long as you are comfortable with hiking 20-25 mpd, 3-4 days is doable. I'd personally take 5 days for a more enjoyable hike. Thats still over 15 mpd, and with the shorter days in February that's still a good pace.

Regarding weather, its a crapshoot. Its still the appalachians and it can get nasty. I've certainly hiked in plenty of snow in this area. It WILL BE below freezing at night. Days may never get above freezing or it may be 60 degrees.

Between the foothills and Florida trails, I'd do the foothills.

Coffee
11-19-2014, 19:02
Good point on the shorter February days. Based on the elevation profile and trail description, I think that four days could be reasonable but an extra day of food could make it more flexible while on trail. I have been meaning to hike the Foothills trail for a while so maybe this is a good opportunity.

Rain Man
11-20-2014, 10:24
I've hiked the FT, and in my own opinion, there's no way to hike the FT "comfortably" in 3-4 days mid-winter. Of course, YMMV.

Also, I would not say there is a "low probability" of below freezing weather in the SC/NC mountains in early-mid February over the course of a week, having grown up in the area.

Perhaps the Pinhoti Trail further south in Alabama?

Rain Man

Mobius
11-20-2014, 11:02
I hiked it between Christmas and New Years last year. I happened upon a nice weather spell and only had one night below freezing and only a little rain at night. I did it in 5 days "door to door" (4 full hiking days + about 2 hours of hiking the last day) and was hiking dawn to dusk each day. Three days sounds unreasonable.

AO2134
11-20-2014, 13:04
Can it be done in 3 days? I think so. In perfect weather with longer days. Sure.

I'd plan for 5, and shoot for 4 days.

I recently section hiked this trail over 3 weekends, 5 days. I know I could have been done in 4 days. 3 days would have been pushing it.

Coffee
11-20-2014, 13:46
So I think that I'll plan on a short first day, allowing for the drive down and a shuttle plus four additional days to get back to my car. Speaking of shuttles does anyone know the going rate for getting from one terminus to the other?

Mountain Dog
11-20-2014, 15:35
I prefer the Pinhoti over the FT but for that time of year, I'd do the FT. You'll need to prepare for sub freezing weather regardless of the trail you pick. The advantage of the FT is it has shuttle support and the Pinhoti does not. Also, you can park your car at the mid point. Parking at the mid point will require two shuttles but you can minimize weight (food) while still being able to readjust your gear based on weather changes. If this is a shake down for the PCT then the FT would be a better match than the flatter and warmer Florida Trail.

Mountain Dog
11-20-2014, 15:38
So I think that I'll plan on a short first day, allowing for the drive down and a shuttle plus four additional days to get back to my car. Speaking of shuttles does anyone know the going rate for getting from one terminus to the other?The Foothills Trail web site has a list of shuttle drivers and they can answer your question about price. They are a friendly bunch and might not even charge.

Mountain Dog
11-20-2014, 15:50
Here( http://www.foothillstrail.org/shuttle-service )is the link to FT shuttle people, both volunteers and commercial.

AO2134
11-20-2014, 15:51
I paid 40$ for bad creek to Oconee.

meat803
12-05-2014, 03:17
I just thru hiked this trail in November. I have section hiked this trail half a dozen times or so. My 2 cents-

Nicholson Ford rd. to Burrell's Ford are long miles. I have hiked that section twice and both times I had a serious case of the "are we there yet, jeez" Not hard miles. Just seem to be understated. This is where it it joined with the Chatooga River Trail.

4 days is going to push it for a thru. I wouldn't plan on doing any side trails. No big loss as the trail itself is beautiful enough and you can save things like lower whitewater falls for another day.

There are heated bathrooms at upper white water falls area. You can lock it from the inside as well. Good spot to get out of the rain, clean up, and even stealth camp.

Speaking of rain, I have never hiked the foothills and didn't get some rain. Plan on it. Jocassee Gorge is a rain forest.

Burrell's Ford always has loud obnoxious campers in the campground. I recommend staying away.

On my thru I saw half a dozen piles of bear scat on trail. Never saw any bears but they are definitely there.

I recommend going Oconee to Table Rock. Your first day will be a short one due to getting there and shuttling. Oconee side has plenty of camping within 10 miles of start. If you go the other way I would say the first camp spot is dry and just past pinnacle mountain.

The trail is wonderful and most sections I did 20+ mile days no problem. Water everywhere so you never have to carry more than half a liter. You can be loose with daily goals as campsites and water are abundant.

Antigravity gear has a great pocket map of the trail. I think you can buy it at either state park office where you will get your parking permit. Or you can just go to their website and buy it direct.

Send me a message if you want and I can answer any questions. Like I said, I just thru hiked it last month and have section hiked just about the whole thing. It is my favorite trail to date.

Coffee
12-05-2014, 09:06
Thanks for the information. This is very helpful. At the moment, whether I do the foothills trail partly depends on whether I still have my car at that time. I'm selling my car prior to my PCT thru hike so if it is gone by then, I'll probably do a winter hike on the AT either north or south of Harpers Ferry which I can get to by train. I guess some winter experience on the AT wouldn't be a bad thing but the foothills trail sure sounds promising as well.

Coffee
01-02-2015, 10:52
I just ordered the guidebook and map!

I'm thinking of pushing the Foothills trail hike into early or mid March in the hopes of better weather. Would I be likely to experience more favorable conditions in March rather than February? One advantage is more daylight hours so I'll have a better chance of hitting the miles I am hoping for each day.

I no longer have a car so I'm also trying to choose between flying from BWI into Greenville (surprisingly very cheap via Southwest) or renting a car and driving. The issue with flying, of course, is dealing with shuttle logistics. I'm going to contact some of the shuttle providers to get an idea of the costs of a shuttle from the airport to Oconee and then from Table Rock back to the airport ... could very well be more expensive than renting a car and driving ...

Another question: Anyone camp at Table Rock after the hike? I see that the campground has showers and laundry but I'm not sure about any food service? Would it be better to shuttle back to an airport hotel for the night or hitch to a nearby town? Is hitching from Table Rock a realistic idea?

Thanks!!

meat803
01-03-2015, 11:23
Go to the foothills website and contact some of their shuttle providers. They can answer you questions more in depth and help you plan.

Im not sure about the difference between March and Feburary. I do know it will be cold, and as I have said prepare for wet.

Table Rock does have camping. I believe they even have a shelter or two on connecting trails.

Treehugger
01-17-2015, 05:29
Coffee. If you are interested in riding down with me PM me. I am planning similar time frames albeit not 3-4 days. 5-6 more likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evan_rolltide
01-24-2015, 17:55
My brother and I hiked the foothills trail this year in 4 days, ending on New Year's Day. It was cold, but we never had a hard freeze. It rained substantially the first 2 days. We hiked Oconee to Table Rock. Impending rain clouds motivated us to hike 27 miles the last day and we made the quick drive up to Asheville where we got a nice hotel and some great food and beer.

Dogwood
01-24-2015, 19:36
This thread and HeartFire's recent one should be joined into one thread.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/108726-Foothills-trail

Should go without saying but of course March will be warmer than Feb. Instead of attempting for everyone to personally qualify weather for each month go to the Table Rock SP website and pull up the surrounding historical weather patterns for those months. Just click on the weather data and check it out from the TR SP website http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/tablerock/introduction.aspx You could also, as said in the other thread, check out weather for nearby Caesars Head SP. I gave the link on that thread. Weather here is probably even more similar to FHT weather than Pickens SC as given at th TR SP site but not by much. Also check out the Jones Gap SP nearby website. http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/jonesgap/introduction.aspx

Yes there is nice camping, picnic shelters(some screened), and cabins at Table Rock SP.

I've been to and through TR SP more times than I can recall coming in from Asheville, NC, Greenville SC, and Atlanta GA. I always used public transportation, shuttles(as said check out the FHT website, Heyward Douglas is a great guy, close by, and can provide much beta deepening the experience of a FHT hike, very reasonably priced too), getting drooped off and/or picked up by friends/relatives, and hitching or some combination of these to facilitate my FHT hikes. I've never driven one of my own vehicles to hike in this area.

http://www.foothillstrail.org/

With the increasing interest on WB about the FHT I sincerely hope a greater number of users will consider supporting this wonderful trail.

As awesome as the FHT is with the beauty of it hitting so many SP's and Wildlife Areas/Preserves, waterfalls, scenery, etc, FWIW, the FHT, although named, is really only a 80 mile or so section of trail in a MUCH MUCH larger interconnected trail system possibly providing for a much much longer hike than 80 miles when combined with other trails - Bartram, BMT, Chattooga River, Palmetto, Pinhoti, AT, Mountains to Sea, etc. while also considering other as yet unnamed and widely recognized trails/routes as part of the entire hike. I'm waiting for some ambitious out side of the box big thinking long distance hiker to step up and connect segments of these and other various trails/routes doing a 1000 mile + hike, possibly even a 3000+ mile hike.

I really like what the ever ambitious "real hiker" Cam Honan "Swami' did as one of his Long 12 Hikes with one of the hikes being the Southeastern Serpentine Trail(Route). http://www.thehikinglife.com/2014/10/southeastern-serpentine-trail-sst-usa-2011/ That inspired me! I'm surprised more long distance hikers, especially the east coasters, haven't taken greater advantage of this HUGE interconnected trail system doing a pt to pt MUCH LONGER HIKE than just the FHT or something akin to a LARGE Southeastern or Eastern Loop akin to what the always very inventive and ultra enduring and BIG thinking Andrew Skurka, another "real hiker", did with the Great Western Loop. That also inspired me to get the creative juices flowing!

Hopefully, I've enticed someone to expand their hiking opps.

Coffee
01-30-2015, 22:08
Thanks Dogwood and everyone else who provided input. I'm itching to get on the trail so I'll be doing the hike the second week of February. Planning on roughly 4-4 1/2 days. I looked up the weather resources and I feel like I should be equipped to comfortably handle the likely conditions for the hike. That being said, I'm not an expert in winter hiking and even though the temperature figures seem OK, I'll probably pack a fleece vest I normally wouldn't carry just to be on the safer side (if I need more warmth while actually moving than my smartwool base layer and rain shell). The extra weight is OK since I'm partly hiking this trail to prep for the PCT where the water load is going to make my pack pretty heavy in Southern California.

Coffee
02-13-2015, 23:28
Just finished the Foothills Trail this afternoon. Four outstanding days of hiking! Only met two backpackers on the entire hike. I'm not sure why this trail isn't more popular. I'd like to start from Cesar's Head SP and connect to the Bartram Trail and AT at some point. Maybe a fall hike!

chiefduffy
02-14-2015, 08:07
Congrats on your hike. I agree, this is the most underrated hike in the southeast. Sshhhh,,,,!

saltysack
02-14-2015, 15:17
Just finished the Foothills Trail this afternoon. Four outstanding days of hiking! Only met two backpackers on the entire hike. I'm not sure why this trail isn't more popular. I'd like to start from Cesar's Head SP and connect to the Bartram Trail and AT at some point. Maybe a fall hike!

I've been wanting to do this for few years...which direction did you go? Who/how much was shuttle...

Coffee
02-14-2015, 16:41
I hiked from Oconee State Park to Table Rock State Park and I recommend that direction. The first day was easy in this direction and it would be much harder starting from Table Rock. Also, in my opinion, ending at Table Rock is a much more dramatic finish for the hike than would be the case ending at Oconee. The Foothills Trail Conference provides a list of shuttle volunteers (http://www.foothillstrail.org/shuttle-service). Jim drove me from Table Rock to Oconee and also pointed out a number of places where the trail enters and exits roadways and also provided some history of the area. The shuttle drivers accept donations but do not name any customary or recommended amount. I donated $60.

It was hard to believe how lightly the area is used in winter even with perfect (but cold) weather. I suspect that the trail is much more heavily used "in season" but frankly I think that winter is the time to be out there if a good weather window can coincide with the trip. With the leaves off the trees, no bugs, and no competition for campsites, it was great.

saltysack
02-14-2015, 17:06
Thx...I'm thinking I'll start late afternoon put in around 10 or so miles then have the next 4 days to finish....I'm fine doing 15-18 mpd on southern AT and enjoy night hiking...will also bring my jack Russell who is a hiking machine..

Coffee
02-14-2015, 17:10
If you start at Oconee, you will have some very nice camping opportunities as soon as you reach the Chatooga River. I went 16 miles to Burrell's Ford where there is a National Forest campground. There was no one there but I would think that in season it would be packed with people. So camping prior to that point might be nicer anyway.

Coffee
02-14-2015, 18:42
Some pictures:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10205983309412118.1073741829.1541880925&type=1&l=81b14da8dc

AO2134
02-14-2015, 19:18
If you start at Oconee, you will have some very nice camping opportunities as soon as you reach the Chatooga River. I went 16 miles to Burrell's Ford where there is a National Forest campground. There was no one there but I would think that in season it would be packed with people. So camping prior to that point might be nicer anyway.

Burrell's ford shouldn't exist. Car campers all over the place. I hated it. Generally people with no respect. I would do what Coffee said and camp about 1 1.5 miles before it. Again, that place shouldn't exist.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I did this hike Oct Nov as a 5 day weekend hike over 3 weekends. The trail has some amazing sections.

Coffee
02-14-2015, 19:36
I was impressed with the Burrell's Ford campground improvements when viewed in the context of a developed campground. Granted, there were zero people there at the time but it seems pretty well set up as a family campground and the price is right (free). Not sure what kind of crowd would be there on a summer weekend however ...

saltysack
02-15-2015, 10:20

Do u recall about how many miles before u reached river or any good tent sites on river? I will most likely start in afternoon and shoot for 10-12 miles day 1...

Coffee
02-15-2015, 10:39
Starting from Oconee, you will reach the Cheohee Road after about six miles. From the Cheohee Road trailhead, it is about two miles to the Lick Log Creek where there is a campsite. There are also campsite areas immediately after the Bartram/Chatooga River trail junction. There are no camping signs at the Lick Log Falls area itself but shortly after that point a number of nice looking sites. If you want to do a few more miles, there are listed campsites in the guidebook along the river. I recommend buying the Foothills Trail guidebook and map. Both were good resources to have during the hike.

saltysack
02-15-2015, 11:43
Thx... Will do

saltysack
02-16-2015, 13:10
Starting from Oconee, you will reach the Cheohee Road after about six miles. From the Cheohee Road trailhead, it is about two miles to the Lick Log Creek where there is a campsite. There are also campsite areas immediately after the Bartram/Chatooga River trail junction. There are no camping signs at the Lick Log Falls area itself but shortly after that point a number of nice looking sites. If you want to do a few more miles, there are listed campsites in the guidebook along the river. I recommend buying the Foothills Trail guidebook and map. Both were good resources to have during the hike.

By chance did you get any cell service while on fht? If so what provider? Thx

Coffee
02-16-2015, 13:52
I don't keep my phone on normally so I can't say what reception is like overall. However, I did turn it on at a couple of places where I thought there would be reception. I had a signal at the benches overlooking Lake Jocasee as I approached Whitewater falls. Also had a signal that night at the designated camp shortly after lower whitewater falls. On both occasions I had only voice and no data. I had both voice and data at Sassafras Mountain and near Pinnacle and I suspect it would work anywhere as you approach the Table Rock area.

I use Republic Wireless which leases bandwidth from Sprint network. Like in most places I'd bet that Verizon would be better.

saltysack
02-16-2015, 14:01
Thx....

saltysack
02-16-2015, 16:11
I don't keep my phone on normally so I can't say what reception is like overall. However, I did turn it on at a couple of places where I thought there would be reception. I had a signal at the benches overlooking Lake Jocasee as I approached Whitewater falls. Also had a signal that night at the designated camp shortly after lower whitewater falls. On both occasions I had only voice and no data. I had both voice and data at Sassafras Mountain and near Pinnacle and I suspect it would work anywhere as you approach the Table Rock area.

I use Republic Wireless which leases bandwidth from Sprint network. Like in most places I'd bet that Verizon would be better.

How tough was it to finish in 4 days? I assume similar to southern AT? Avg speed, hiking hours etc

Coffee
02-16-2015, 16:43
How tough was it to finish in 4 days? I assume similar to southern AT? Avg speed, hiking hours etc

My experience with the AT is almost all from SNP to southern PA so I cannot comment directly on the more southern parts of the AT. I will say that given the current amount of daylight, hiking the Foothills Train in four days required using most of the available daylight hours. I was up each day around 5:30 and packed up and hiking by 7 using my headlamp just for the first 15 minutes or so. On two nights I got to camp around 5pm but once I rolled into camp around 5:45 and didn't have much time to set up before it got dark. I like hiking and don't like spending much time in camp so this was OK with me. Someone who likes having more time in camp probably would be better off with a five day hike at least at this time of year.

I'm not sure what the exact elevation gain/loss is for the trail but it did seem like there were more ups and downs than the elevation profile implied.

Taba
02-18-2015, 02:30
for all campsites, water sources and other resources for the Foothills Trail check out the new Thru-Hiker's Manual for the Foothills Trail at: www.Thruhikersmanual.com (http://www.Thruhikersmanual.com)

he.who.forgets
02-23-2015, 17:43
Hey Coffee, glad you enjoyed your hike! We actually met on our second day on the trail (probably your third). I (Jamie) was hiking with my wife (Katy), doing a 30-mile section from Laurel Valley to Bad Creek Access. We had a wonderful hike and I'd love to get back up there and either thru hike it or hike the sections we missed one day. We camped along Lake Jocassee at the same spot you posted a picture of. Our second night's camp was along BearCreek. Anyway, just wanted to say hey!

Coffee
02-23-2015, 18:09
Hi he.whoforgets! I definitely remember you and your wife since you were the only two backpackers I met on my entire trip! Glad you had a great time on the trail.

he.who.forgets
02-23-2015, 18:56
I feel bad now that we didn't chat longer seeing that we're the only ones you saw in 4 days!

AO2134
02-23-2015, 19:05

I found the Foothills trail to be kinder then the AT. So so many ups and downs and they are smaller, especially if you go east to west. West to east you start with the hardest section and then it is mostly easy from there. I didn't find the trail difficult at all.

You can see the profile here: http://foothillstrail.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Elevation-Profile.pdf

10-K
02-23-2015, 19:15
It's an awesome trail - I've hiked it twice, the 2nd time with my oldest son. Great memories.

Shadotek
03-03-2015, 12:01
Hi all! It looks like I'll be doing a thru hike of this trail 3/29 - 4/4 while my kids are away for spring break. My wife is going to help me leave my car at Tablerock and shuttle me to Oconee. I'm going to try and carry all the food I will need (6-7 days will be heavy) to avoid having to cache food somewhere. Anyone else hiking the trail around that time? Any tips for someone who has only ever done 3 days max? I'm shooting for 11-12 miles per day I think, unless I find that I can do more and finish sooner.

stir crazy
03-03-2015, 16:27
Shadotek,
It's not always possible based on conditions, but I would recommend that you plan your hike based on campsites rather than mileage per day. This trail has some outstanding campsites. For example, I would aim for the Chattooga River the first night
There is a nice campsite at Licklog Falls, or even better, hang a left at the falls and follow the Chattooga River Trail for a 1/2 mile and there's an excellent campsite on the river. Other outstanding campsites are: Thompson River (cross bridge and it's tucked away on the right); Hilliard Falls (1/4 mile off the trail and camp at the base of the falls); Lake Jocassee (on the creek to the left after crossing the suspension bridges); Laurel Falls (camp at the top of the falls). That's just a few. There are many other outstanding campsites also. FHT is not a high elevation hike so the long range views are not substantial enough for the mountain top campsites until you get closer to Tablerock. Take advantage of the wonderful "water" sites!

AO2134
03-03-2015, 16:51
Shadotek,
It's not always possible based on conditions, but I would recommend that you plan your hike based on campsites rather than mileage per day. This trail has some outstanding campsites. For example, I would aim for the Chattooga River the first night
There is a nice campsite at Licklog Falls, or even better, hang a left at the falls and follow the Chattooga River Trail for a 1/2 mile and there's an excellent campsite on the river. Other outstanding campsites are: Thompson River (cross bridge and it's tucked away on the right); Hilliard Falls (1/4 mile off the trail and camp at the base of the falls); Lake Jocassee (on the creek to the left after crossing the suspension bridges); Laurel Falls (camp at the top of the falls). That's just a few. There are many other outstanding campsites also. FHT is not a high elevation hike so the long range views are not substantial enough for the mountain top campsites until you get closer to Tablerock. Take advantage of the wonderful "water" sites!

From memory, there is no camping in Table Rock. I think the last campsite before the western terminus is a good bit away. I am just guessing here - 10-12 miles. I lost my guide on my last day hike so I can't be more specific. I think the last campsite was an hold homestead about 1 mile past Sassafras Mountain.

Table Rock also has strict rules about after hours hiking. I.e., there is none. They actual send people out to check.

Prepare for a longer last day and finish early so there is no issue with Table Rock State Park.

stir crazy
03-03-2015, 17:11
I guess I should have been more specific on that. Sassafras is the highest point in South Carolina. With foliage, there really are no other substantial long range views on the trail that I can remember. I've hiked it 4 times.

Coffee
03-03-2015, 17:15
The last legal campsite is just outside the boundary of Table Rock State Park soon after you get past the Pinnacle Mountain side trail . Probably a bit over five miles from the Table Rock terminus. It look like dry site so carrying water might be needed. The Cantrell Home Site is the camping location past Sassafras Mountain heading toward Table Rock. It is a nice looking site, but no views.

There are what appear to be illegal campsites in Table Rock state park itself. Needless to say, it is important to know where you are and plan accordingly. I don't recall any sign when entering Table Rock.

Coffee
03-03-2015, 17:17
I guess I should have been more specific on that. Sassafras is the highest point in South Carolina. With foliage, there really are no other substantial long range views on the trail that I can remember. I've hiked it 4 times.

A couple of spots come to mind where views would exist even with foliage: First, the benches on the trail shortly prior to arriving at the Upper Whitewater Falls area (going toward Table Rock). And again near Pinnacles Mountain, shortly before and after arriving at the side trail.

I'm glad I hiked the trail when the leaves are off the trees. I had lots of long distance filtered views that would be obscured most of the year.

AO2134
03-03-2015, 17:35

Before I hit post, I mean to add "do every campsite Stir crazy recommends if you can. They are all amazing campsites." I'd do a shorter day 1 and stay near chattooga river. It offers some flat out amazing campsites. Avoid, like the plague, burrell's ford.

Shadotek
03-03-2015, 21:05
Before I hit post, I mean to add "do every campsite Stir crazy recommends if you can. They are all amazing campsites." I'd do a shorter day 1 and stay near chattooga river. It offers some flat out amazing campsites. Avoid, like the plague, burrell's ford.

Haha! Thanks for the tips everyone. I did 2 nights with my kids in September. The first night was on the chattooga river and the second night was at burrells ford (my wife met us with our 3 yr old). We loved the river camp and burrells ford was just standard car camping minus the car. Aside from the crowded area, why do people hate burrells so much?

saltysack
03-03-2015, 21:54
Crowded ........sums it up

Coffee
03-03-2015, 22:10
I didn't hate Burrell's Ford campground but I was literally the only person there. I had the entire place to myself.

AO2134
03-04-2015, 02:10
Haha! Thanks for the tips everyone. I did 2 nights with my kids in September. The first night was on the chattooga river and the second night was at burrells ford (my wife met us with our 3 yr old). We loved the river camp and burrells ford was just standard car camping minus the car. Aside from the crowded area, why do people hate burrells so much?

Quite frankly, it attracts people who. . . let's see. . . the politically correct way to say this . . . um. . . have no respect for nature, other people, or themselves. That is the nicest way I could put it. Generally, they are loud, make a mess, don't clean up after themselves, cut down living trees for fire wood, get drunk, play music, and . . . well let me stop there.

Shadotek
03-04-2015, 07:18
Quite frankly, it attracts people who. . . let's see. . . the politically correct way to say this . . . um. . . have no respect for nature, other people, or themselves. That is the nicest way I could put it. Generally, they are loud, make a mess, don't clean up after themselves, cut down living trees for fire wood, get drunk, play music, and . . . well let me stop there.
Oh well yeah that stinks then... When we were there it was mostly families with kids and 1 big church group. Thanks for the heads up.

Rain Man
03-04-2015, 20:33
With foliage, there really are no other substantial long range views on the trail that I can remember.

I remember a bench at a long view over the pumped storage facility (Bad Creek?). Also the deck on Sassafras. Again, some bare rock "cliffs" on Table Rock itself. One more place looked to the west. Can't remember the name.

Anyway, while there were no balds with 360-degree views, there were several long range views.

AO2134
03-04-2015, 21:17
I remember a bench at a long view over the pumped storage facility (Bad Creek?). Also the deck on Sassafras. Again, some bare rock "cliffs" on Table Rock itself. One more place looked to the west. Can't remember the name.

Anyway, while there were no balds with 360-degree views, there were several long range views.

They have deforested to build a tower on the summit of Sassafras if memory serves me. It almost offers 360 views now i believe. At least, it is now the closets thing to 360 degree view, but it is kind of sad that they did deforest it. I don't remember if there is a place to stealth camp there is not.

Coffee
03-04-2015, 22:02
Sassafras summit is deforested and frankly kind of ugly right now. There are plans to extensively improve that area i believe. And there definitely are great views as well.

UberPest
03-14-2015, 17:56
A friend of mine and I hiked the FT in May of 2014 and had a blast. We took our time and hiked over 7 days (well, 6.5. We got a late start on day 1). I'm not used to mucking about in the morning, taking a siesta, or hanging out in camp at night as much as we did, but I'm not complaining, either.

The Southern Appalachian Loop Trail is one suggested route using the FT. http://www.blueridgeoutdoors.com/hiking/grain-s-l-t-southern-appalachian-loop-trail-almost-reality/

Shadotek
04-06-2015, 11:49
Hi all! I figured I'd come back and give a quick recap of my hike. Pennsylvania Jeff hiked from Sunday morning until Friday at 1pm. We camped the first night at around mile 14 on the Chattooga River. Day two we camped a couple miles before Upper Whitewater Falls on a blue trail that lead to 281. Day 3 we did 16 miles to reduce the remaining miles and make up for the short day 2. Day 4 we camped at the top of Laurel Falls and it was awesome. The moon was so bright we were able to hike up to the overlook in the dark and see the falls in the moonlight. Day 5 we hiked up Sassafras and stayed at the homesite 1.3 miles farther on. Day 6 we finished at Table Rock at 1pm.

The toughest climbs were Heartbreak Ridge and the Sassafras climbs. It's tough to say what were the most beautiful parts. I loved all the waterfalls and bridges. There is SO much water on this trail it's crazy. We never carried more than 16-32oz of water. I highly recommend this trail to anyone. I would totally do it again if I could get the time away from job and family. Hopefully I'll be out there again soon for a 2-3 night with the kids.

Thanks again for the info and recommendations!

Shadotek
04-06-2015, 11:52
I meant to say Penn Jeff and I hiked from Sunday morning...

red5
04-07-2015, 12:34
Hi all! I figured I'd come back and give a quick recap of my hike. Pennsylvania Jeff hiked from Sunday morning until Friday at 1pm. We camped the first night at around mile 14 on the Chattooga River. Day two we camped a couple miles before Upper Whitewater Falls on a blue trail that lead to 281. Day 3 we did 16 miles to reduce the remaining miles and make up for the short day 2. Day 4 we camped at the top of Laurel Falls and it was awesome. The moon was so bright we were able to hike up to the overlook in the dark and see the falls in the moonlight. Day 5 we hiked up Sassafras and stayed at the homesite 1.3 miles farther on. Day 6 we finished at Table Rock at 1pm.

The toughest climbs were Heartbreak Ridge and the Sassafras climbs. It's tough to say what were the most beautiful parts. I loved all the waterfalls and bridges. There is SO much water on this trail it's crazy. We never carried more than 16-32oz of water. I highly recommend this trail to anyone. I would totally do it again if I could get the time away from job and family. Hopefully I'll be out there again soon for a 2-3 night with the kids.

Thanks again for the info and recommendations!

We did this hike with the same dates as you (Sunday to Friday) except we went Table Rock to Oconee. Perhaps you saw a father with two small children going in the opposite direction at some point. We camped at the same spots as your first two but otherwise differed.

I really enjoyed the Laurel Creek Valley, very pretty and did not see another soul. Whitewater was very cool but a bit busier and hiking along the Chattooga was like hiking in a different world compared to the rest of the trail.

Shadotek
04-07-2015, 19:57
We did this hike with the same dates as you (Sunday to Friday) except we went Table Rock to Oconee. Perhaps you saw a father with two small children going in the opposite direction at some point. We camped at the same spots as your first two but otherwise differed.

I really enjoyed the Laurel Creek Valley, very pretty and did not see another soul. Whitewater was very cool but a bit busier and hiking along the Chattooga was like hiking in a different world compared to the rest of the trail.

I talked to you guys! Your kid talked about his small legs as I passed you guys through the muddy section. I'm happy you guys finished it. I can't believe those little legs made it so far. Can you tell me how many days and what kind of mileage you did.

red5
04-08-2015, 09:02
I talked to you guys! Your kid talked about his small legs as I passed you guys through the muddy section. I'm happy you guys finished it. I can't believe those little legs made it so far. Can you tell me how many days and what kind of mileage you did.

Small world eh? My little one definitely is not very shy. Glad to hear you two made it through as well. It was a spectacular week to do the hike. I think we are gonna shoot for another hike this summer maybe.
Sunday I hiked Table Rock to a campsite about 1.5 to 2.0 miles into Laurel Valley which made for a 16.5 mile day. However my kids began at Laurel Valley with my wife and hiked 5 miles to the top of Sassafras where we all met up and then we all hiked to that camp site. This gave them a 11.5 mile day. We did this because they have hiked the Table Rock to Sassafras section a few times and I wanted to try to keep their legs fresh for the remainder of the hike, which none of us had ever done before.

Monday we hiked to the Toxaway Creek campsites, we had the last one which was right beside the shorter bridge. 12 miles with a couple of small spur trails.
Tuesday we hiked to a small camp site about 1 mile past Hilliard Falls. I believe it was that afternoon where we crossed paths? 13.5 miles with the Hilliard spur.
Wednesday we hiked to a camp site about .75 miles into the Round Mountain spur (not the designated one). 13 miles including the Lower Falls and Round Mtn spurs.
Thursday we hiked to a camp site along the Chattooga which was about 10 minutes past where that large rock juts way out into the river. I think it was about 2.5 miles into the Burrell's Ford section. 12 miles.

Friday we finished at Oconee at about 3:30 PM. 14 miles.

Shadotek
04-08-2015, 09:31
Small world eh?

Definitely! Thanks for the info.