PDA

View Full Version : Looking for more info on this pack

Cedar1974
11-19-2014, 19:28
28937 28938 28939 28940

I found this pack today at the Salvation Army. It is made by Timber Top and weighs 3lbs 5oz. I am just looking for more info on this pack, and the people who made it. If you can help I'd appreciate it.

Slo-go'en
11-20-2014, 00:48
Looks like a generic, low end frame pack from the early 80's. Looks brand new too, but not built for much of a load. Good score if you didn't pay much.

hikehunter
11-20-2014, 02:15
Looks like a pack I had in the 70's when in the Boy Scouts....

Frame packs can work well when you need to attach items on the outside...ie: skis, snow shoes...etc.

It did look kind odd to me as well.

It could be a nice "diy project" to make something for you 3 to 5 day super climbing hikes or something.

Cedar1974
11-20-2014, 05:11
Well, I on'y paid ike $11 for it, and from what I could fins on the internet packs like this can go for $60 and up.

RED-DOG
11-20-2014, 16:09
To me it looks like one of those old school Kelty packs. it might be built for a Junior ( Kid ).

DLP
11-20-2014, 22:30
I used an external frame pack like that until last summer. You can see part of it on the ground, next to me, in my photo. :)

I actually thought that it was pretty comfortable, if it was packed right. All the weight was on my hips and none was on my shoulders. If the pack fits you, I think that you can definitely use that pack and figure out if you like hiking/backpacking.

I got you beat price wise. :) Mine was $5 at Thrift Town, however, I got it on half price day for $2.50. I left the price tag on it for several years, Minnie Pearl style. Mine wasn't brand new. I also had cut and sewed on the pack with dental floss to reduce the weight by about 8oz. All of my cutting and hack sewing did make it look pretty bad. My sister said that she didn't know if that pack made me look bad-ass... or homeless. I was mistaken for a homeless person... by an actual homeless person. :(

I used the Thrift Store pack on and off for about 10 years and then I used it for 90 miles on the Tahoe Rim Trail in 2012 and at the end of that trip, I KNEW that I liked backpacking very much. I think that either a person likes backpacking, or they don't. People talk about gear a lot, but I don't think that the gear makes that much of a difference. I could spend $3000 and buy titanium and cuben fiber everything and get my husband's pack weight down to 9 lbs and he still won't like backpacking very much. It isn't the gear... he just doesn't like it very much. I can list all the things he doesn't like... but his gear or backpack wouldn't be on the list. Either you like it, or you don't... and a 3 lb external pack will probably work until you find out if you like it or not.