PDA

View Full Version : poached omlet?

squeezebox
11-19-2014, 23:06
I'm thinking the pot lid/skillet might work for a burger or steak, if carefully monitored. I'm pretty good at home with poached eggs & soft boiled eggs, but I really don't trust the lid/skillet for frying an omelet. So can I fry the onion, green pepper, ham, etc, in the lid/skillet, then mix in the eggs, then poach the omelet , I'm thinking the lid with oil will burn the eggs and stick like super glue.

Wise Old Owl
11-19-2014, 23:23
OK I read the post twice... what are you smoking?

OK while we are around the campfire ... Hold my beer and watch this.

http://blip.tv/babelfish5/hungry-hammock-hanger-trail-southwestern-omelet-5521231

freightliner
11-19-2014, 23:42
I can't watch the video because I used up all my data this month. I hope it's not the same thing but when we go fishing / camping we will boil a big pot of water and everybody makes omelettes in Ziploc bags so there's no cleanup and we can get right to fishing. Good old Ziploc is there anything you can't do with it.

finklequirt15
11-19-2014, 23:46
Saute the pepper, onion, tomato whatever. Turn the stove off, drop the egg scramble. Let it sit in the hot pan add cheese. Heat up more if a must. Flip the egg over. Done

Mags
11-20-2014, 01:00
Shameless plug: Look for the next issue in TrailGroove. There just may be a recipe for an "omelet in a bag" done by me in there. ;)

hikehunter
11-20-2014, 02:08
Well now...I have something more on the outer side for you guys.....and gals.

Have you ever heard of people waxing eggs....
keep the air out and there is no re-frig. needed...

yes this will work for a few days on the trail ...

on a short trip..................I would not do this on a long trip.

the egg carrier is not for the "gram guys"....

fresh eggs on a two day hike is super....

Rocket Jones
11-20-2014, 06:50
Even better is to find local eggs that haven't been washed. They'll keep at room temperature for a week or more. It's the washing that removes the natural protection from the shell and causes the need to be refridgerated.

squeezebox
11-20-2014, 07:03
Food grade wax would be had to get and deal with on the trail. Maybe vasoline?
Thanks for reminding me about the boil in a freezer bag thing, or I could put the eggs in my mug a few pebbles in my pot to rest it on, voila double boiler.

RED-DOG
11-20-2014, 15:47
Try doing the Zip-Lock Omelet, all you do is put 2-3 fresh eggs in a Zip-Lock bag with all your ingredients, place bag in boiling water for around 10-15 minutes and you'll have a great omelet, I have tried it a few times and it has worked great for me, you can by eggs in the plastic container perfect for packing. I also put diced ham in mine which is awesome.