PDA

View Full Version : Budget packs for broad shoulders?

Kevin108
11-20-2014, 00:45
I'm still getting my gear together and finding some shortcomings before I hit the trails. The first issue I've come up against is how terrible my Blackhawk 3-Day pack felt loaded down. I never realized how poorly it fit me until I really had some weight in it. I need recommendations for a budget or beginner pack for a wide guy.

Mags
11-20-2014, 01:02
What is your budget? And how much is your base pack weight?

Kevin108
11-20-2014, 01:30
Pack, tent, pad, and bag were 20 lbs. A better pack and a smaller tent are at the top of my list.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Kevin108
11-20-2014, 01:31
And since I can't edit...

Budget is < $200.

Cedar1974
11-20-2014, 05:02
Well, on that budget I'd suggest checking Goodwill or Salvation Army for a smaller pack. As for a lighter tent, have you considered a camping hammock?

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

tarditi
11-20-2014, 12:09
Tactical packs are terrible at lugging weight around - you want something with a suspension (internal or external frame) and hip belt, ideally.
I had a nice Maxpedition Vulture2 that I couldn't stand carrying after about 5 miles with a 20# load...
Serves as a great hard-use BOB or something, but lousy for actual back packing.

I sold it and got a gregory baltoro 65 at REI on sale for ~ $235. Money well spent.

Feral Bill
11-20-2014, 12:19
find an outfitter near you that specializes in backpacking gear. Try on a bunch of packs , with plenty of weight, then select. Make sure they have a good return policy.

Slo-go'en
11-20-2014, 14:18
Pack, tent, pad, and bag were 20 lbs. A better pack and a smaller tent are at the top of my list.

Wow, that's a lot for just those 4 things. What kind of hike are you gearing up for? Weekend hikes or a long distance? For a weekend hike you can suffer with a heavy load if that is all you got. For a long distance hike, you need to a lot lighter base weight.

RED-DOG
11-20-2014, 16:27
Look in to the Gossamer Gear Mariposa it's a great pack.

Kevin108
12-16-2014, 22:00
I wound up with a Kelty Trekker 65. I could almost sleep in it!

Dochartaigh
12-16-2014, 23:59
Tactical packs are terrible at lugging weight around - you want something with a suspension (internal or external frame) and hip belt, ideally.

Not arguing on the fact (at all) that actual backpacking packs are tons better than a military-style pack, but after not hiking for years (where I used a nice fully-featured NorthFace proper backpacking pack 10+ years ago), I'm currently coming from my most recent pack which is a 4-pound Eagle A-III Large military-style 3-day+ assault pack with kydex sheet and two aluminum stays as the suspension. That thing can lug 20 pounds with really good comfort (no pain from me and I'm totally out of shape ;)

I would honestly take the Eagle over the two high-end and extremely highly rated ”ultralight" packs I tried recently (borrowed my friends ULA Ohm 2.0, and bought a Gossamer Gear Gorilla). Both those UL packs can’t hold their form worth crap with something as simple as a 2L bladder in the back (they both love to bow out down the middle of the back with a bladder making it extremely uncomfortable since all there is in the entire middle of the pack is a weak piece of foam shielding your back from the packs’ contents). Will also honestly say I can’t comment on those packs without a bladder as I’m pretty set to use my 2L/3.68oz. Platypus Hoser bladder + in-line Sawyer for my water filtration system (hate dealing with multiple water bottles/bladders as many do).

Anywho, just wanted to get across that fact that the right military style pack still has more structure than some of those UL “framed” packs out there - albeit at about double the weight.

HogFan
12-17-2014, 15:59
Well crap, I sold my large Gregory Z55 last night for $125.
Wish I'd seen this sooner, I'd have made you a deal.

RED-DOG
12-17-2014, 16:58
Check out Mountain Hardwear, I got a Dirretsima 46( internal Frame) used it on my 2012 AT thru fits me like a glove I paid $180 plus tax ( little heavy though ), if 200 is your budget you should have no problems finding a good quality pack around that price.
Check out your Local outfitter.

If going liter is the issue check out 'Gossemer Gear .com', I just got the Mariposa ( Large Model ) with medium hip belt for like $ 240, Great pack.