PDA

View Full Version : liner socke

squeezebox
11-20-2014, 08:01
I'm planning on a couple pair of liner socks. Silk, wool, elastic?
I wear those old lady elastic knee highs at work, I'm on my feet full time, they really help with calf fatigue, they do tend to snag and run though, and they can be a bit clamy. pricy $40 a pair.
I did buy a pair of wool compression sleeves for the fatigue issue as an option.
wool liner socks -wicks and breathes, a good choice.
silk liner socks - lighter than wool, but does it wick and breathe close enough to wool? with wool socks over them warm when wet should not be a concern.
your experience / opinions?

daddytwosticks
11-20-2014, 08:12
In warmer weather, I wear two pair of thin poly sock liners with my trail runners. My feet sweat much and the two pair are very light and cool. :)

Elder
11-20-2014, 10:18
I recommend Wrightsocks! www.wrightsocks.com
Sewn in liners guaranteed no blisters.
Yes, I work with them.

Havana
11-20-2014, 11:04
I started wearing liner socks because I had problems with blisters and they've worked well. I wear Injinji under Smartwool. Really like the combination. http://www.injinji.com/

rocketsocks
11-20-2014, 11:20
I recommend Wrightsocks! www.wrightsocks.com (http://www.wrightsocks.com)
Sewn in liners guaranteed no blisters.
Yes, I work with them.
I'm a fan. Wright Socks are pretty much my go to sock from day to day. Caught my daughter eye ballon' em one day, even went as far as to try em on, she liked em so much she tried to abscond a pair from me when I weren't lookin'...frig that dude, I had to shut er down...socks is serious buesiness!:D

squeezebox
11-20-2014, 20:54
Seems to me toe socks would be a PITA to put on, but toe blisters are definitely more of a pain.

Havana
11-20-2014, 21:38
yeah, I used to get blisters in between my toes. Not anymore.

daddytwosticks
11-21-2014, 08:46
I'm a fan. Wright Socks are pretty much my go to sock from day to day. Caught my daughter eye ballon' em one day, even went as far as to try em on, she liked em so much she tried to abscond a pair from me when I weren't lookin'...frig that dude, I had to shut er down...socks is serious buesiness!:D
Tried a pair a few years ago. Wore a hole in the heel area in a VERY short time. Too bad because they were very comfortable and light. :)

wormer
11-21-2014, 09:00
I never hike without liner socks and never get blisters.

Traveler
11-21-2014, 09:41
I never hike without liner socks and never get blisters.

Oddly, I have had the opposite experience in not using liner socks and not having blisters. I used to use the dual sock technique with a wool outer sock and poly liner. Changing that was not planned, I arrived at a trail head without the liner socks and opted to take the chance with a fairly new pair of boots with one sock. 12 miles later I didn't feel any difference.

Since then, I've only used single smart wool (medium cushion, crew) socks (PhD version during warm months) and found blisters using single sock weren't an issue, even with changing boots and shoes over time. Could be a lot of factors in this, boot/shoe fit is better today than a few years ago, conditioning of feet may be more uniform through the year with hundreds of trail mile throughout the 4 seasons for example. Had I not forgotten liner socks that day, I doubt I would have changed the practice of dual socks though.

colorado_rob
11-21-2014, 10:23
I never hike without liner socks and never get blisters.Same here. Most of my pals have long since abandoned their liner socks, but I still use them, and when I've experimented with NOT using them, I still really do not get blisters, but my feet seem to be hotter and less comfortable, so I stick with them. My wife uses the toe-socks, I haven't found the need to go that way.

I use the good-old "Fox River X-Static Liner Socks" sold at REI for 12 bucks, a pair seems to last for years even with heavy use. Another advantage of having liner socks is you can take off you regular socks at camp and air them out (or wash them out) while still keeping a liner pair on rather than barefoot in you shoes. These wash out easily and dry almost instantly, by the way. they supposedly have a built-in odor protection, but this is only modest and your feet are going to stink no matter what, of course, on a long hike like the AT.

July
11-21-2014, 17:34
I mostly use liner socks by themselves. Merino wool. They are inexpensive and dry very fast.

fiddlehead
11-21-2014, 17:57
We sell a LOT of these: http://warmstuff.com/product_info.php?cPath=63&products_id=277

T-Rx
11-21-2014, 18:05
I wear injinji toe socks under smartwool socks. So far it has worked well for me.