PDA

View Full Version : Murphy?

Havana
11-20-2014, 15:55
The new pack has arrived and I'm ready to brave the elements for a late fall hike to test it out.

One day day before delivery, winter arrives with a vengeance sending temperatures well below the limits of my equipment (okay, it's really not the equipment, it's my fondness for warmer weather)

Is this some sort of a backpacking gear junky's version of Murphy's Law or is the some other immutable power at work?

Tipi Walter
11-20-2014, 16:05
If you're ready to brave the elements anything short of a tornado or tsunami should be a-okay. Have a 4-season kit and it should work fine for 95% of the conditions Miss Nature decides to throw your way.

Going out on a long winter trip and forgetting your tent poles or snapping an ankle on the first day, that's Murphy.

Traveler
11-20-2014, 16:09
Mr. Murphy is indeed a frustrating fellow, but what he most frequently offers is the opportunity to become stronger in surviving what does not kill us.

Havana
11-20-2014, 16:27
Have a 4-season kit and it should work fine for 95% of the conditions Miss Nature decides to throw your way.

My kit is, at best, three season and my body something closer to two. Hoping for a warm snap.

rocketsocks
11-20-2014, 18:55
Mr. Murphy is indeed a frustrating fellow, but what he most frequently offers is the opportunity to become stronger in surviving what does not kill us.
I like it.

Malto
11-20-2014, 19:16
How about an October Wonderland Trail hike with rain and snow...... And you forget a long sleeve base layer. It actually turned into a wonderful learning opportunity. I could hike in snow wearing short sleeves and a cuben rain jacket and stay warm. Who would have thunk?