PDA

View Full Version : Please help sobo needs info quickly. Nearest town to Elk Garden VA

Gambit McCrae
11-21-2014, 14:16
Meeting a sobo friend at elk garden and he would like to hitch into town while he waits for me to arrive. What options does he have?

Dadburnet
11-21-2014, 14:20
Damascus is the best bet.

Studlintsean
11-21-2014, 14:33
Damascus is the best bet.

There is a little gas station right down the road (not walking distance) that he might be able to wait in. They seem ed hiker friendly while I was there.

Alleghanian Orogeny
11-21-2014, 14:48
The community of Whitetop, VA is along US 58 about 2 miles south down VA 600 (Mud Creek Rd) of the AT crossing. Mostly downhill. Whitetop includes a bike rental service (likely closed), a bank, a senior living center, VFD, etc. Likely a convenience store/fuel stop--I faintly recall a Marathon sign, but it's been a while. Community of Konnarock is around 7 miles down VA 600 and VA 603 in the other direction from Elk Garden trailhead. I suppose the community store there is still open. VA 603 ties back into US 58 @ the west end of Konnarock and from there it's around 10 miles on in to Damascus. For certainty of something being open, Damascus is likely the place.

AO

Lone Wolf
11-21-2014, 14:59
Meeting a sobo friend at elk garden and he would like to hitch into town while he waits for me to arrive. What options does he have?

the only town is damascus. whitetop gas& grocery is about 3 miles away with hot food and such

The Solemates
11-21-2014, 15:09
why is he hitching into town to wait for you? why doesnt he just walk into town? you can make it from elk garden to damascus in a day if needed.