PDA

View Full Version : Pa. Winter Section Hike

Debbie
11-22-2014, 14:02
I'm considering hiking the section from Port Clinton, Pa. to Lehigh Gap over Christmas break. Does anyone have experience with winter hiking in this section? I'm interested in water availability (especially is the spigot at Eckville Shelter on in winter?), conditions I might encounter (snow, ice, temps, etc), and any particularly hazardous areas. I know some of this might be hard to answer but I'd appreciate feedback.

I have hiked in winter before, but further south (Front Royal to Harpers Ferry-2012).

Debbie

Sly
11-22-2014, 14:59
Of course, it all depends on the weather as to the conditions. Eckville Shelter is open year-around and winterized.

Here's a link to historical weather data (http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/hamburg/pennsylvania/united-states/uspa0668) for Hamburg

freightliner
11-22-2014, 15:27
This is the section of the famous Pennsylvania rocks. I personally wouldn't do this trail if there was snow on the ground it's hard enough when the rocks are dry. But if there is no snow on the ground you will get some great photos and views. Check the hunting season before you go they like to hunt there and make sure you wear your orange blaze. The most important thing you should do even before you take a step on the trail is to stop in the peanut shop and have chocolate covered bacon. That is a memory you'll never forget.

Malto
11-22-2014, 18:47
You could get anything from nice clear trail, with rocks. To a foot of snow. Last year there was serious snow for quite a while on the trail. I would check back right before you go and have a Plan B.

Hang R
11-22-2014, 19:54
Last year in late October I passed by the Eckville shelter mid day and stopped by for a break and get some water. The keeper at the shelter was saying about shutting the water to the privy and shower down due to the threat of freezing pipes. I believe there was a spicket at the main building that might remain on in the winter. It was an ok place but I prefer to camp away from the road.

That section can be interesting in the winter. I would not want to walk the Knifes Edge when snow is on the ground. It can be pretty windy where you walk overtop of the Lehigh Tunnel where the Northeast Extension goes through. If I remember the area right the water at the Bake Oven Knob shelter was not great in the late fall last year. I did find water at the New Tripoli Campsite but it was not flowing great. There was water at the Allentown Hiking Club Shelter but you had to hike a good bit down the hill to get to it. The shelter area was nice though.

Debbie
11-22-2014, 20:50
Thanks for the responses. I'm thinking of a Plan B in the event of serious snowfall-would the terrain in New Jersey or New York be better in that case?

wornoutboots
11-22-2014, 22:38
I have hiked in winter before, but further south (Front Royal to Harpers Ferry-2012).

Debbie

Not wanting to steal your thread but what type of weather did you encounter in 2012? I'm getting ready to do that section in a early to mid December Buena Vista to Harpers Ferry. Trying to decide of I want/need to carry my micro spikes?

Debbie
11-23-2014, 09:35
I encountered about 5-6 inches of snow (and some ice), which I walked in for about 5 days. I killed two pair of yaktrax (if there are rocks under the snow the metal coils quickly cut the rubber). The descent down Loudoun Heights into Harpers Ferry was interesting with only one functioning yaktrack. Definitely take the spikes. Temps were about 20 at night and not quite 40 day. I went the week after Christmas.

fiddlehead
11-23-2014, 10:09
Here is a picture of a hike in that very area 2 years ago. 28977
It was great fun with great friends but, was happy to get my feet warm that night at home (running shoes for me)

Right now, there's no (or very little snow) in that section.
I'll be going down to Eckville today (football day)
Will post IF i see different.
Go Eagles.

Debbie
11-23-2014, 10:40
Yes, that picture does bring back memories. It was cold, but I have to say that trip was one of my most beautiful. Thanks Fiddlehead.

1azarus
11-23-2014, 20:15
Have hiked almost all of Pennsylvania in the winter. As long as the snow isn't too deep it is prettier, more challenging, feels way more isolated and is arguably better than walking on exposed sharp rocks. Just make sure you adjust your mileage expectations based on snow depth, and consider walking a bit after dark to shorten the length of night time in camp.

Debbie
11-23-2014, 20:28
Thanks Lazarus; that's encouraging. What kind of conditions (temps, snow depth, etc.) did you encounter in this section? I do have microspikes. Any other special equipment you'd suggest?

1azarus
11-23-2014, 22:15
Micro spikes for sure. On most of my trips I brought snowshoes. If the snow was around 9 inches or less I wouldn't use them. A bit more snow and they were helpful. ...and a lot more snow made covering serious miles impossible. The only time I can ever remember not being able to come even close to covering the miles I'd planned was in Pennsylvania in about a foot of snow. You might plan a few snowshoe day trips to see how you feel about walking with tennis rackets strapped to your feet.

Debbie
11-24-2014, 07:58
Hmmm. I may leave learning to walk in snowshoes for another time. Not a lot of opportunity to practice here in Miami unless I can use sand:) Any suggestions for a Plan B nearby if Pa. has too much snow? Any part of NJ maybe? I'm trying to do sections of the AT I haven't done. What I have left is Pa. north of Port Clinton, NJ, NY, Cn, and Ma.

1azarus
11-24-2014, 11:03
Hello Debbie... if you've done the AT up to PA then you have spent more than a bit of time hiking. If you are really up for the more demanding winter experience, I would suggest you plan on making the trip up to PA and play it by ear. Really, the hardest part (for me, at least) of winter hiking is that if the snow is too deep, then it is soooo exhausting to walk -- with or without snowshoes -- so it means reducing miles covered to around 3 to 6 miles, maybe a bit more, but not likely more than 9 miles in a day -- which can mean spending a whole lot of time hanging around at a (cold) campsite. So, you can go "hiking" pretty much no matter what -- the variable is how much ground you will cover -- and, who knows, there may be no snow at all!!! Either buy snowshoes to play with, or not. Certainly bring the microspikes.

I always tell my kids that hiking has an adventure component and a pleasure component, and that the adventure component pretty much takes over in the middle of the winter.

About where else to hike -- I don't think it matters much where you go in NY, NJ or PA -- although NJ may well have the lowest average elevation of the three states. You could keep your eye on the weather and decide where to hike based on snow cover. did I say, "have a great hike?" ...let us know what you decide to do -- and how it all turns out!

Debbie
11-24-2014, 21:41
Thanks for the info, Lazarus. I'll let you all know how it turns out. It'll be an adventure no matter where I wind up.

sparky2000
11-25-2014, 22:52
The last I heard NJ outlowes bear spray - winter or summer, I wouldn't do NJ w/o bear spray.

Debbie
11-26-2014, 09:04
Thanks for that info; I read NJ has the highest bear activity (per sq. mile?) of any state on the AT. I think I'm going to Pa. this time, but I'll have to do NJ at some point as I'm completing the AT by sections. I will certainly use the bear boxes or hang my food and not eat in my tent.

1azarus
11-26-2014, 09:19
...did NJ in the winter, too... all the bears were napping.