PDA

View Full Version : Seeking easy-to-access shelter in MA or VT

Jem
11-22-2014, 15:13
I’m hoping for a guidance about a short December hike to be done in Massachusetts or Vermont.

Day 1 (starting at 3pm): park overnight near the trailhead, hiking 1-2 miles to a shelter, sleep. Day 2: 6-10 mile day-hike (hopefully to another shelter then retracing my steps), returning to the car in the late afternoon.

This is entirely about getting on the trail and seeing 1 or 2 shelters in person. No more reading and dreaming! Time to put my boots on the trail. I need advice about where to go, not the perfect place, just an option.

Thanks for your advice.

Jem

Jeff
11-22-2014, 15:57
Manchester Vermont Route 11/30 trailhead.

2 miles north of trailhead is Bromley Shelter, next day 8 miles further north Peru Peak Shelter. Great views on day #2 on top Bromley and later on Styles Peak. There is usually some snow on the ground in December for this trek...check the forecast.

Slo-go'en
11-22-2014, 16:10
It all depends on how much snow/ice is on the trail and if access roads (which are often seasonal) are passable or not. Most of the trails in Vermont with shelters which can be accessed via a major road crossing tend to be very steep and are treacherous when covered with ice/snow. At the very least you will need something like microspikes for traction and possibly snowshoes if we get a good snow storm between now and when ever you go.

Little Rock Pond shelter in Vermont is a possibility. It can be accessed via a side trail off of Rt7 in W. Walingford. The trail follows a stream and only climbs 1000 feet in a couple of miles - most of it at the end. How far you can travel from there on the AT depends on the amount of snow and how good you are at keeping track of the trail in the snow. If this is your first winter trip, I won't try to go far.

In Mass, October Mountain shelter looks like it would be easy to get to from Washington Mountain Rd near Becket, MA. This is a pretty flat section of trail with no big climbs.

Sarcasm the elf
11-22-2014, 16:25
Going from memory, I'd suggest parking at the rte 23 trailhead in Monterey MA, hike north the 3(?) miles to MT Wilcox South leanto ( there are actually two leanto's at that site one very old, one new). The the next day hike north and you will pass Mt Wilcox North campsite within a couple of miles. If your intention is to see shelters specifically, you could potentially then turn around at MT wilcox north, hike south back to rte 23, and continue south a few miles to see Tom Leonard leanto and then head back north to your car. I don't have the exact distances in front of me but that route would be a reasonable two day hike and would let you see four shelters at thee different sites.

Jem
11-22-2014, 17:11
This is great feedback and exactly what I was hoping for. I'll explore each suggestion and choose between them. Thanks very much. You motivate me to get on the trail.

BillyGr
11-23-2014, 16:54
Going from memory, I'd suggest parking at the rte 23 trailhead in Monterey MA, hike north the 3(?) miles to MT Wilcox South leanto ( there are actually two leanto's at that site one very old, one new). The the next day hike north and you will pass Mt Wilcox North campsite within a couple of miles. If your intention is to see shelters specifically, you could potentially then turn around at MT wilcox north, hike south back to rte 23, and continue south a few miles to see Tom Leonard leanto and then head back north to your car. I don't have the exact distances in front of me but that route would be a reasonable two day hike and would let you see four shelters at thee different sites.

Based on an older databook (so subject to slight changes), it’s:
3.3 Mi. from Rt. 23 to Mt. Wilcox South
1.8 Mi. from MW South to MW North
5.1 Mi. back to Route 23
2 Mi. from 23 to Tom Leonard (So 4 Mi. round Trip)
Which would give you 10.9 for the 2nd day. If that is too long, you could jump back in the car at Rt. 23 and find Lake Buel Road, which the trail also crosses. That would make it a 2.2 Mi. loop to Tom Leonard.
If you ever get a bit farther south, find the NY/CT line crossing on Route 55 – there are shelters 2.8 mi north and 1.2 mi south – that would make an easy short loop also. The one to the South has a side road visible from the shelter (shelter is on a hill overlooking the road) but not sure about parking there.

rafe
11-23-2014, 17:02
Congdon shelter is about 4 miles from the trailhead at Rte. 9 near Bennington VT. But a challenging climb. The next shelter southbound is another 7 miles, pretty easy walking.