PDA

View Full Version : Would you carry micro-spikes?

wornoutboots
11-22-2014, 22:33
I'm getting ready to go through the Shenandoah's in early to mid December, would you carry traction gear?

squeezebox
11-22-2014, 22:40
What's the chance of running into ice?

rafe
11-22-2014, 22:58
If there's any chance of running into ice, I'd say yes. Up here in the north country, unequivocally yes. I used them (and very much needed them) day before yesterday on a climb in the White Mountains. The snow was only a few inches deep but there was plenty of glare ice on the trail.

bpowell1014
11-22-2014, 23:32
Do microspikes help on wet, slippery rocks during non-winter conditions (spring and summer) ? I bust my tale on hilly rocky terrain every time there's a lot of rain. Wondering if these would help.

Malto
11-22-2014, 23:50
Not very likely. Ground still warm relative to later in season.

mattjv89
11-22-2014, 23:59
Never tried using them on wet rocks. I suppose they could provide some additional traction but a few possible issues occur to me. On a long hike they would probably start to kill your feet. I've traveled short distances on hard ground such as crossing a road with them, and without some snow or ice to dig into your feet are riding off the ground and each set of spikes is a pressure point on the bottom of your foot. Also a lot of distance across rocks would probably wear the spikes down after a while too, stainless steel is tough but it isn't really meant for that. Finally they would really tear up the trail on soft ground and mark rocks up, we've all seen the telltale white streaks from trekking poles on heavily traveled rocks now increase that marking to 10 points per foot.

MuddyWaters
11-23-2014, 05:22
Prudent to do so. You may not need, but if you do, you do. Kind of like rain gear.

On a day hike, you could risk without. A week is a bit different.

If you have good recon, and a good weather report, you might feel comfortable not bringing them.

Traveler
11-23-2014, 08:28
For what its worth, having been caught in a rather bad place without traction in rain turned ice, I will usually take these along if there is any chance of ice on the trail or precipitation in the forecast here in New England. As MuddyWaters points out, a day trip is one thing, a week is another. If you have tolerance for the added 13 ounces of weight and there is any chance of ice being on the trial be it overnight icing or precipitation, I would probably toss them in the pack.

To the question if they work on wet rocks, the short answer is sort of. I have used micro spikes on rocks having wet moss on them which were treacherously slippery. The spikes worked ok on those surfaces, but they don't hold nearly as well as they on ice, can slip on rock surfaces if you aren't careful, and can become uncomfortable after a short time if on non-yeilding surfaces. On muddy downhills that are very slick, they can work if the mud is not deep, beyond about 3" deep the spikes won't have anything to grab and you will still slip, never mind chew up the trail a bit more than with just boots on. I tend to not use micro spikes on surfaces that are not ice or snow due to the accelerated wear of the spikes and the damage they can do to the trail.

Tipi Walter
11-23-2014, 09:17
How early in the season should I carry my microspikes? Well, I went out in October w/o them thinking I would not need them and BLAM I got hit with a late October snowstorm. I could have used them. They are part of my standard load from November to April---

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpack-2014-Trips-152/21-Days-in-the-Snow/i-wNPkpLQ/0/L/TRIP%20153%20223-L.jpg

johnnybgood
11-23-2014, 10:30
You should always be prepared for anything in December, even as early as November in the mountains of Virginia. As I post this the weather forecasters are pondering on a possible winter storm this week that could impact the east coast Tuesday thru Wednesday.

Never rely on the weatherman to give accurate forecasting in the mountainous regions, their job is to predict the weather for the flatlanders.

msupple
11-23-2014, 12:34
Do microspikes help on wet, slippery rocks during non-winter conditions (spring and summer) ? I bust my tale on hilly rocky terrain every time there's a lot of rain. Wondering if these would help.

I wouldn't consider taking them in the summer but I've used them a lot during the spring where it's a combination of ice, wet/dry rocks and. I think they make a big difference on both ice and rocks. I've also made some stream crossings on wet logs and have found the micro spikes dig into the wood quite well. I'd carry them more often if they were lighter.

Cat in the Hat

freightliner
11-23-2014, 13:31
Your question is would I carry Micro spikes in the Sharondoah national park in December and my answer is no I wouldn't. Other than this year that's where I would be in the winter hiking when I got laid off from work. If a big huge snowstorm were to come you're going to just hitchhike a ride to get out of there anyhow. That's the best part of hiking in Sharondoah is that if trouble comes you can get out quick. If you don't want to keep your eye on the weather then you're going to have to carry them. If you get a little bit of snow it's really not that big of a deal because the trail is pretty level through there. I should probably throw this out there too if you're not using trekking poles then you better have micro spikes.

Tipi Walter
11-23-2014, 13:52
Do they still close the Skyline Drive in the winter? The last time I hiked it in early March the road and stores were closed.

Sly
11-23-2014, 14:17

I don't think they'd help with traction as much as leave unsightly scratch marks. Find a better sole.

MamaBear
11-23-2014, 15:11

From my experience here in New England, no. They're actually more dangerous as the spikes have very little or nothing to grip on in the case of rock, which makes for very little or no traction. Rather than having your entire sole on the rock, you're now standing on a bunch of little sharp points, which is less contact with the surface and greater chance of slipping. For summer use, better to get hiking footwear with grippy soles.

I don't like to wear my microspikes on rocks here regardless of the season, it just dulls them. Of course, some winter days, you can't avoid wearing them on rocks without taking them on and off a dozen times. In that case, many people have an older spare pair for mixed surfaces so their good ones don't get beat up on the rocks.

johnnybgood
11-23-2014, 16:12
Do they still close the Skyline Drive in the winter? The last time I hiked it in early March the road and stores were closed.

If there is inclement weather conditions they do. Ice on the road from melting snow is often the reason. All stores/ waysides closed by Thanksgiving.

Another Kevin
11-24-2014, 00:57
Never tried using them on wet rocks. I suppose they could provide some additional traction but a few possible issues occur to me. On a long hike they would probably start to kill your feet. I've traveled short distances on hard ground such as crossing a road with them, and without some snow or ice to dig into your feet are riding off the ground and each set of spikes is a pressure point on the bottom of your foot. Also a lot of distance across rocks would probably wear the spikes down after a while too, stainless steel is tough but it isn't really meant for that. Finally they would really tear up the trail on soft ground and mark rocks up, we've all seen the telltale white streaks from trekking poles on heavily traveled rocks now increase that marking to 10 points per foot.

I mostly see those "telltale white streaks" in steep spots where people use actual 12-point crampons in the winter. And I am not about to give up using those where they're needed.

Another Kevin
11-24-2014, 01:04
You should always be prepared for anything in December, even as early as November in the mountains of Virginia. As I post this the weather forecasters are pondering on a possible winter storm this week that could impact the east coast Tuesday thru Wednesday.

Never rely on the weatherman to give accurate forecasting in the mountainous regions, their job is to predict the weather for the flatlanders.

There are a few rules of thumb for correcting the forecast that don't work that badly. Get the forecast for the closest point you can and then:

(1) Subtract 3-5 degrees Fahrenheit for every 1000 feet of elevation.
(2) Add 10 mph of wind speed for every 1000 feet of elevation.
(3) Get the forecast dew point. If the temperature at your intended elevation is at or below the forecast dew point, it will be raining or snowing up there, even if it's dry in the flatlands. The elevation where the temperature drops below the dew point will also be the height of the cloud bases.

There are other tricks for mountain weather forecasting, but these will do for starters.

RED-DOG
11-24-2014, 13:05
Mid December in Shenandoah yes I would carry micro-spikes, the chance of hitting snow/ice is high so yes take them.

1azarus
11-24-2014, 15:50

don't get me started on over-managed parks. they DO keep the drive open IF there isn't a frozen puddle on it, or IF there is no threat of snow in the next few days, or IF it doesn't look like it will get cold enough to freeze runoff, of IF they've gotten around to plowing after the previous dusting of snow -- which is to say, there is absolutely no way to predict if the drive will be open. It makes sense to plan on walking in at the cross road entry gates or end points. My winter recollection is that everything is closed, but not sure.

Tipi Walter
11-24-2014, 16:26
I just wish they'd permanently close the road and give sedentary rolling couch-potato Americans a chance to fight heart disease. Less noise pollution too from the roaring Harleys.

saltysack
11-24-2014, 16:57
I just wish they'd permanently close the road and help sedentary rolling couch-potato Americans a chance to fight heart disease. Less noise pollution too from the roaring Harleys.

+1...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swisscross
11-24-2014, 18:10
Moosejaw has Micospikes on sale, 20%.