PDA

View Full Version : Making Healthier FBC Meals and ideas for Special Diets

Demeter
11-23-2014, 12:43
Here is a guide for anyone wanting to eat healthier fare than tuna noodle casserole but doesn't know where to start. (not that there is anything wrong with tuna noodle casserole; I love the stuff!). It's also pretty cheap once you get some basic ingredients.

My method is slightly different than a lot of others, that cook a complete meal at home. I tend to piece-meal (pun haha) mine together. I have suggestions for gluten-free and Paleo sides and sauces.

The series is in 6 parts, plus other links to drying veggies and meats.

Demeter's Dish: Eating Healthier on the Trail (http://demeters-dish.blogspot.com/2014/11/diy-trail-food-eating-healthier-and.html)

Enjoy!

~Demeter

lonehiker
11-23-2014, 12:54
Step 3 says add the sauce but takes you to veggie page.

Demeter
11-23-2014, 13:08
Step 3 says add the sauce but takes you to veggie page.
thanks so much for letting me know. I fixed the links!

Tipi Walter
11-23-2014, 13:12
Thanks for the links---more to copy and read on my next December trip. I just finished dehydrating a batch of cottage cheese---dries in about 2 days and crumbles up and added to hot soups on the trail. Oh wait, I already mentioned this on a previous thread.

Dogwood
11-23-2014, 17:57
I am one of those who beat to a different drum. Living on the fringes of society. Walking the line of sanity. What can I say, I am a hammock hanger :0

SAVE MONEY, EAT HEALTHY, BE HAPPY :)Ok, maybe I am also a little dramatic. But anyway, one thing I do differently than most other backpackers is to avoid big name prepackaged food. Read the labels, and the first ingredient is usually a cheap "filler" like rice, potatoes, or pasta, followed by salt. The majority of the cost is for packaging and a filler ingredient. This means spending ten bucks for a pretty package with rice and sodium. Highway robbery, if you ask me!
When you said all of this you made me a huge fan. :banana

A short sighted mistake some of us make/have made, including myself, is to hear your approach - mainly dehydrating at home - and tune ourselves out entirely dismissing what you share because we don't always have access to a dehydrator, don't want to, or assume we can't dehydrate or don't want to buy already dehydrated ingredients. Your recipes can easily be adapted to an approach not having the need to dehydrate at all. I'm not immediately sure how I'd handle going about replacing Tipi's dehydrated cottage cheese though. :) I'm sure you dehydrating Foodie fanatics will offer some suggestions though.

Demeter
11-25-2014, 06:52
Thanks for the links---more to copy and read on my next December trip. I just finished dehydrating a batch of cottage cheese---dries in about 2 days and crumbles up and added to hot soups on the trail. Oh wait, I already mentioned this on a previous thread.

Guess I finally need to break down and dry up some cottage cheese, if for no other reason to say "I did it!" Lol. I do love cottage cheese when it's fresh, just not sure how I will love it dry :)

When you said all of this you made me a huge fan.

A short sighted mistake some of us make/have made, including myself, is to hear your approach - mainly dehydrating at home - and tune ourselves out entirely dismissing what you share because we don't always have access to a dehydrator, don't want to, or assume we can't dehydrate or don't want to buy already dehydrated ingredients.

Thanks, Dogwood! You hit the nail on the head. I think a common assumption shared by the "foil bag foodies" is the level of difficulty or knowledge required to create DIY meals is out of their reach. Surprisingly, people put a lot of effort into researching sleeping systems, stoves, clothes, etc. and stop short of nutrition - which can be just as important as gear. I go on frequent group trips, and there is always someone who is mystified by my DIY cozy and freezer bag meals.

Just Bill
11-25-2014, 09:12
Thanks- will dig into it later!