PDA

View Full Version : Neel Gap or Neels Gap

Abatis1948
11-23-2014, 19:56
I have seen Neel Gap listed as either Neel Gap or Neels Gap on postings, maps, and hiking guides. So what is the historical correct name?

Slo-go'en
11-23-2014, 20:43
It depends on who you ask.

upstream
11-23-2014, 20:46
The highway was built through there in 1925. Before that it was called Frogtown Gap. Walisi was a great mythical frog in Cherokee lore. When the highway was built, it was renamed Neel Gap after the Engineer that built the road.

(Paraphrased from p308 of Friendships of the Trail)

I recall someone telling me that a USGS Mapper copied it wrong, as Neels, and hence it has been known. I have no reference for that though. I've also heard it was a sign maker that changed it. But the engineer's last name was Neel.

upstream
11-23-2014, 20:47
It is Neels in the GNIS Database, so that is the official name now.

Lone Wolf
11-23-2014, 20:53
neel gap. duh!

kayak karl
11-23-2014, 21:43

FatMan
11-23-2014, 21:46
It is Neels in the GNIS Database, so that is the official name now.This is the correct answer.

kayak karl
11-23-2014, 22:26
nothing new here. 2009 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/44745-Is-it-Neels-Gap-or-Neel-Gap?p=750186#post750186)

Sarcasm the elf
11-23-2014, 22:36
I prefer walasi-yi or frogtown.

Sarcasm the elf
11-23-2014, 22:37
While we're at it, it's called Lyme disease, not Lyme's disease!

rocketsocks
11-23-2014, 23:40
Neil Gap :D

kayak karl
11-23-2014, 23:50
Neil Gap :D is the gap owned by neil? as in neil's gap. i'd bet moneys it's not.

rocketsocks
11-24-2014, 00:11
is the gap owned by neil? as in neil's gap. i'd bet moneys it's not.
You can own a gap? Who knew.

imscotty
11-24-2014, 01:21
Well, I am glad that this thread settled that question.

Trailweaver
11-24-2014, 01:47
That bronze (?) marker in the photo Kayak Karl posted gives you a hint. I don't know why people have soooo much trouble with this.

daddytwosticks
11-24-2014, 08:11
Was there Friday and saw the sign posted in the photo above...Neel Gap. Not to change the subject, but I understand it's Woodrow's Gap, not Woody Gap! :)

RED-DOG
11-24-2014, 11:07
it's Neel Gap, but for some unfortunate souls it's called End of the Line and for others it's a great santuary.

Sly
11-24-2014, 11:49
It is Neels in the GNIS Database, so that is the official name now.

What's the GNIS? The ATC has it named Neel Gap.

If anything else, I would think it would be Neel's Gap with apostrophe possessive, not simply Neels.

bamboo bob
11-24-2014, 12:04

If anything else, I would think it would be Neel's Gap with apostrophe possessive, not simply Neels.

My English Major wife agrees

Abatis1948
11-24-2014, 12:07
Thanks KK. I think the discussion on the other gaps, mountains, and locations which are known by several names s great. Isn't it funny how we still know what folks
are speaking or writing about when the name they give the location is wrong.

rickb
11-24-2014, 12:35
My English Major wife agrees

If only we had more people like her when these places were named.

We would not be stuck with names like "Crawford Notch" and "Harpers Ferry".

squeezebox
11-24-2014, 15:40
Or Neel's Gap

Alleghanian Orogeny
11-24-2014, 15:51
..............it's the App-a-LATCH-ian Trail. :)

AO

FatMan
11-24-2014, 21:57

GNIS is the USGS Geographic Names Information System. The final decision on the name Neels Gap was made in 1950. Here is a link to for Neels Gap in the database:

http://geonames.usgs.gov/apex/f?p=gnispq:3:::NO::P3_FID:356662

Lots of very interesting supporting documents are linked.

elray
11-24-2014, 22:49
No matter the name it goes by I have to chime in here. I've been dreaming of a thru for many years and have heard all the stories about the place I prefer to call Walasi-yi, there was a mystique about an establishment with a former reputation for it's service to the AT hiker, "if you could make it to the Gap you were probably physically able to complete the Trail" and all that. So when I did arrive there on a weekend in early April I was sorely disappointed as the establishment I found was only interested in lightening my wallet. The hostel was a dungeon with no working hiker toilet, instead we were directed to the public restroom which was nothing more than a filthy roadside rest. The place was crawling with noisy motorists and bikers, the supplies were limited and the staff was only interested in running the cash register. I didn't expect the Royal Hilton but Neel gap was a dump, I signed the log and moved on.

Old Grouse
11-24-2014, 23:27
While we're at it, it's called Lyme disease, not Lyme's disease!
+ 1. Connecticut guys should know!

rickb
11-24-2014, 23:42
GNIS is the USGS Geographic Names Information System. The final decision on the name Neels Gap was made in 1950. Here is a link to for Neels Gap in the database:

http://geonames.usgs.gov/apex/f?p=gnispq:3:::NO::P3_FID:356662

Lots of very interesting supporting documents are linked.

Very cool reading. I even learned a new word-- not sure how I can work "euphony" into conversation among my peers without bring very much misunderstood, however.

Elder
11-25-2014, 01:16
No matter the name it goes by I have to chime in here. I've been dreaming of a thru for many years and have heard all the stories about the place I prefer to call Walasi-yi, there was a mystique about an establishment with a former reputation for it's service to the AT hiker, "if you could make it to the Gap you were probably physically able to complete the Trail" and all that. So when I did arrive there on a weekend in early April I was sorely disappointed as the establishment I found was only interested in lightening my wallet. The hostel was a dungeon with no working hiker toilet, instead we were directed to the public restroom which was nothing more than a filthy roadside rest. The place was crawling with noisy motorists and bikers, the supplies were limited and the staff was only interested in running the cash register. I didn't expect the Royal Hilton but Neel gap was a dump, I signed the log and moved on.

What year as your hike? The current owners have cleaned it, evicted the pirates, and have a quality outfitter shop.

Lone Wolf
11-25-2014, 06:35

you are not the only one to feel this way

Just Bill
11-25-2014, 09:11
I always read it, said it as Neel ' s Gap-
As in the apostrophe was missing.

I too was under impressed by the outfitter- it's not a bad place- just suffers from strong case of overhype and crazed promotion by people who feel 30 miles in Georgia is some sort of death march right of passage.

I really like the boot tree.
It's a different place outside busy season as well.
Never stayed in the hostel or looked at it.

mrcoffeect
11-25-2014, 09:24
That settles that if the gov. says its NEELS, then I know its Neel. They are never right. :-)

Malto
11-25-2014, 11:15
Was there Friday and saw the sign posted in the photo above...Neel Gap. Not to change the subject, but I understand it's Woodrow's Gap, not Woody Gap! :)

A thread on Woody Gap could rise to new heights.

Abatis1948
11-25-2014, 13:36

I was at Neel Gap three times this past summer, seems like a long time ago. The store has changed hands, and yes they want to make money. The staff helped me find the equipment I wanted and were respectful, and believe with my smart mouth they would have heard about it if they had been any other way. I did not check out the hostel, but was happy to get a hot shower. The store has improved and I think it will continue to improve. I do remember the bad days.

Deacon
11-25-2014, 15:24
So after reading Winton Porter's book "Just Passin' Thru", the description of the store left me with the impression it was a hikerfriendly place.

When did the store go downhill?

saltysack
11-25-2014, 15:55
Anyone know how much Winton sold the store for?? Where is he these days?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sarcasm the elf
11-25-2014, 16:59
So after reading Winton Porter's book "Just Passin' Thru", the description of the store left me with the impression it was a hikerfriendly place.

I drove to Mountain Crossing in May of 2012 when Winton owned it and walked there in October 2013 right after the sale. I had a great time on both occasions. The first time I stopped by was to buy a new pack and they were happy to take my money (they are a business after all) but were very helpful and let me take a few hours of their time trying on half the packs that they sold before settling on a Catalyst that they adjusted for me as well. The second time they were happy to let me hang around in the hostel for a rainy afternoon while I let my stuff dry and didn't charge me anything for it. I did of course buy a tombstone pizza to eat while I was there.

Speakeasy TN
11-25-2014, 23:03
You can own a gap? Who knew.

I will refrain from an ex-wife joke.

Traveler
11-26-2014, 07:35
Very cool reading. I even learned a new word-- not sure how I can work "euphony" into conversation among my peers without bring very much misunderstood, however.

How about as a response to silly statements? For example:

"I really enjoy Rachmaninoff"

"Oh, I love Rachmanioff, I have all their albums"

"Euphony"

Seatbelt
11-26-2014, 09:54

Having stayed in the hostel on two occasions during Winton's ownership and Pirate's residency, and then staying again this year after the new owners took over, my impression is that the hostel is much cleaner and nicer now, the store appears to be about the same--which is good for hikers and comparable inside to Bluff Mtn and Mt Rogers outfitters. I don't think it has gone downhill at all--just my opinion.