PDA

View Full Version : Where do you go for gear reviews?

Just Jeff
10-22-2005, 19:36
What source do you use most often for gear reviews?

I go to BGT before I buy almost anything!

Seeker
10-23-2005, 01:11
BGT is a pretty good site. i also look here, and check manufacturer's sites. i avoid a couple other sites just because i don't like being 'yelled' at with all the ads. makes some sense for a manufacturer to sponser a site about hiking/ camping, but some of them are just too into themselves and their gear.

i prefer word of mouth, hands-on wisdom, like you get here.

jlb2012
10-23-2005, 03:57
TLB is a good choice also ( http://www.backpacking.net/index.html ) especially the forums.

Heater
10-23-2005, 05:02
Mfg sites to narrow down my choices then check the gear test site and do a search on here for info. I always go into an outfitter knowing just what I want and usually end up getting a lot of other stuff. :o

Except maybe shoes. Sometimes you gotta try on a few different pairs to find a good fit. I usually stay with the same shoe as long as possible though. ;)

fiddlehead
10-23-2005, 07:24
what gear reviews? my old gear works fine. I wouldn't trust magazines anyway, they're in business to make money. (and they make the bulk of it on advertising) I'd go to the trail and try something out if i wanted anything new. (or ask one of my more experienced friends)

Peaks
10-23-2005, 09:17
I'll put in a plug for www.backpackgeartest.org.

Am I the only poster here who attended Stitches' workshop at the Gathering on testing gear?

SGT Rock
10-23-2005, 09:19
Backpack Geartest
WhiteBlaze
Backpacking Light
The Lightweight Backpacker

And finally, after all that, I do my own anyway.

CynJ
10-23-2005, 13:00
I've been using BGT, trailspace.com, Whiteblaze gear forums, and Backpacker Magazine.

But I also do a lot of my own compare and contrast. And a lot of trips to outfitters to check out particular questions I have in person.

CynJ
10-23-2005, 13:01
As a p.s. ....I would have made this poll one that you could select more then one option :)

orangebug
10-23-2005, 13:40
I'm and "Other" or multiple choice person. BPGT and BPL are great, along with AT-l and WB.

Bill...

CynJ
10-23-2005, 13:52
What's AT-I - inquiring minds want to know :D

Just Jeff
10-23-2005, 15:44
I know most folks use more than one source, but I was curious what everyone would choose if they had only their top pick.

I start by narrowing down choices...looking at manufacturer sites, threads on a few forums, etc. Then when I have a few products, I start with BGT. I'll check BPL if they have it reviewed, but I tend to stay away from the big magazine sites - they print what they're paid to print, more or less.

Anyway, I use a few other sources, too, but if I had to pick only one it would be BGT.

jlb2012
10-23-2005, 16:23
What's AT-I - inquiring minds want to know :D

Its a mailing list - see http://www.backcountry.net/ for the archives and subscription info.