PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Hiking Partner Aprl 1 or 15

Mike415
11-24-2014, 17:29
Looking for a partner to begin NOBO on April 1 or 15. Have two new knees the last on from June of 2014. In relatively decent shape and working up hiking miles for trip but need someone who, for pay, would carry 10 to 12 lbs of my load the first 15 to 30 days. If your young and strong and need some help along the way and won't run off with my stuff, I would like a private com. Mike

TrentletonPhillips
03-09-2015, 13:59
Hi. I'm flying into Atlanta on April 15 to start my hike...I am honestly not the partner you are looking for, since I am new to backpacking and believe I will be struggling to carry my pack alone. But since you were considering starting the same day as me, I was wondering if you had any interest in splitting a shuttle from the Atlanta Airport or Gainesville to Amicalola or Springer MTN? We could save a decent amount of money if we go in together.

Mike415
03-09-2015, 14:17
thanks for responding but I have moved up my departure to April 1; hope to see you. mike

Slo-go'en
03-09-2015, 14:24
Good luck finding a Sherpa. Why not start later in warmer weather with less gear? With what you might be willing to pay someone to carry your stuff you could buy all the very lightest gear available. I'm sorry but if you can't carry 20 pounds of gear you probably shouldn't be out there.

Mike415
03-09-2015, 15:13
No problem. I started a little earlier thinking two weeks won't make that much weather difference. As for hiking on two tin knees (my two knee replacements) I think all will be well. We shall see . TinMan

Slo-go'en
03-09-2015, 17:21
No problem. I started a little earlier thinking two weeks won't make that much weather difference. As for hiking on two tin knees (my two knee replacements) I think all will be well. We shall see . TinMan

Two weeks can make a big difference and waiting until the end of April would make a huge difference. If you wait for it to warm up you can use a lighter sleeping bag and carry less clothes. You'll miss most of the spring rain which makes the trail slippery and treacherous. That could be important for someone breaking in new knees.

If your not overweight and in reasonably good shape as you say and the physical therapy had gone well, then you probably have a good chance. Keep the pack as light as possible and watch your footing. Georgia mud is really slippery when wet, as are rocky ledges. Falls take out more then a few hikers every year.