PDA

View Full Version : Staying in hihing shape all winter

Moxie00
10-22-2005, 20:05
It is now almost November and winter will soon be on us. I live in Maine and often we don't see bare ground from Thankagiving until Easter. The days are short and the nights long and it is very easy to become a couch potato, get soft and gain 20 pounds. I have the good fortune of serving on The National Ski Patrol and can x-country ski on my off days but I was wondering what my fellow long distance hikers do to stay in shape during the long cold winter.
:welcome To Maine, natures icebox.

saimyoji
10-22-2005, 20:30
12 oz. curls.

theurbansuburban
10-22-2005, 21:17
I recently found out how well backpacking keeps you in shape for Skiing and vis vers.

Skeemer
10-22-2005, 21:49
After going through 3 "cheap" Sears treadmills, I went out and bought a good $1800 "professional" one. I do an hour and a half every day at 4.9 mph and 15 % elevation with five 3 minute "slow downs" interspersed. Of course, I have a TV in front of me tuned mostly to The History Channel.

fiddlehead
10-23-2005, 07:32
i jog but if i were you, i'd get some snowshoes. It's fun!

Whistler
10-23-2005, 08:48
Not enough snow down here for those northern winter sports; I stick to hiking and especially running/ black ice pantomime.
-Mark

Peaks
10-23-2005, 09:05
Winter: cross country ski and snowshoe. Can't wait for snow!

walkin' wally
10-23-2005, 12:36
Cross country skiing and snowshoeing for me too. My Wife and I are getting new skis this winter. :sun

Cookerhiker
10-23-2005, 12:40
I try to hike once a week. When not hiking, I'm on the stationary bike 5 times a week.

the goat
10-23-2005, 12:49
i run, run, and run. when there's snow, i run, run, and run...only slower...and i appreciate the evening bourbon all the more.

Nightwalker
10-23-2005, 13:35
After going through 3 "cheap" Sears treadmills, I went out and bought a good $1800 "professional" one. I do an hour and a half every day at 4.9 mph and 15 % elevation with five 3 minute "slow downs" interspersed. Of course, I have a TV in front of me tuned mostly to The History Channel.
I do the 15 degree grade thing, but not as fast yet, and only for 30 minutes a day so far. But the high grade really helps my hiking. Lastweek when I went hiking in Ga., it was easier and I went further with less effort.

Kerosene
10-23-2005, 14:57
I play indoor soccer 3-4 nights a week, interspersed with 3-4 gym workouts so I can keep playing with the youngsters.

Auntie Mame
10-23-2005, 15:29
Great topic. I am getting into shape for '07 thru, GA-ME, and coming back from years of sloth. Have a nice hilly area in which I live, so have been going out walking fast, and choosing certain sections to challenge myself. Depending on how much time I want to put in, I can tailor the "hike" accordingly. Also found a series of excercises that address hiking muscles, and am starting them. Since GA is snowy in the hills in March-April, I feel much more willing to slog around outdoors in the slush and snow this year. It gets filed under like acclimatization, where before it was just offensive!

DLFrost
10-23-2005, 16:04
It is now almost November and winter will soon be on us. I live in Maine and often we don't see bare ground from Thankagiving until Easter. The days are short and the nights long and it is very easy to become a couch potato, get soft and gain 20 pounds. I have the good fortune of serving on The National Ski Patrol and can x-country ski on my off days but I was wondering what my fellow long distance hikers do to stay in shape during the long cold winter.
Being from the southeast, I just hike through the winter. There's only a month or two where's it's really bad most years. God provides those for hammock testing... :cool:

You guys might be able to reduce the amount of time you spend on weight training and aerobics by adopting a HIT protocol. Check out Clarence Bass' website at www.cbass.com. Yea, it's a sell-site for his stuff, but scroll down a couple of pages for tons of articles, arranged by category--note esp. articles 10 and 152 under Aerobics. (If you're over 50 check out his Challenge Yourself book.) For more general info google tabata protocol.

Doug Frost

FFTorched
10-23-2005, 16:43
I think I'm gonna get some snow shoes for this winter, I'd love to do some winter hiking and get some beautiful snow pictures. Also I might be joining the Army Reserves so I'll have to be getting ready for Basic Training after school ends in the spring sememster. I just hope I don't get to lazy like I have in the past. The beer keeps coming but the exercise ceases in most cases.