PDA

View Full Version : First winter camp

hikernutcasey
11-25-2014, 09:55
So this Friday I'm heading up to Grandfather Mtn. to do an overnight. This will be my first winter overnight. I've done a couple of trips this time of year but at lower elevations so it was more like shoulder season camping. On top of Grandfather this won't be the case. They are calling for 3 to 6 inches of snow Wed. and Thursday and temps to be in the upper teens to low 20's Friday night. I've got my new microspikes and the cold weather gear packed and ready to go.

A couple of questions -

If the ground is frozen hard as a rock how do you get tent stakes in?

How do you dig a cathole in this scenario?

I only have a canister stove...what's your experience trying to cook with one in sub freezing temps?

Any other tips or tricks you learned the hard way?

Thanks

saltysack
11-25-2014, 10:00
Don't sweat it...
Cat hole with tent stakes or trekking pole..keep canister inside jacket...warm near your body lil while before use...start w new canister..bring nalgene boil water before bed put in sleeping bag...if using filter keep from freezing...have fun...winter is my favorite time to hike..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tipi Walter
11-25-2014, 10:06
Grandfather Mt is a tough winter destination as some of the trails thru there are very rugged. The high elevation of the mountain brings in some serious wind and cold and snow. Not too long ago it set a winter wind record at around 200mph. Microspikes are mandatory and I'd probably bring a small snow shovel for easier tent setup. A Voile XLM shovel is now part of my standard winter load as I'm tired of moving a foot of snow off the ground to put up my tunnel tent.

I use Easton nail-like stakes and they will pound into frozen ground if you use a rock and go slow.

Digging a cathole in frozen ground is impossible although with dead leaves on the ground atop a forest duff there's usually a way to scrape out a hole. I use the tip of my hiking pole for digging a cathole. In serious cold when everything's frozen solid you can take a dump and place a big rock over it. OR take a dump by the tent and let it freeze solid and either carry it out (no way) or fling it hard like a frisbee deep into a down hill clump of rhododendron. Way downhill. OR when you get to camp in the afternoon, dig a cathole right off before the night time freeze while the ground is somewhat thawed and use this hole when you need it later when the ground is frozen.

No canister stove for me, finicky at low temps. White gas all the way.

TIP: If the tent stakes freeze solid in the ground, hammer them in an inch and they will pull right out.

saltysack
11-25-2014, 10:12
Grandfather Mt is a tough winter destination as some of the trails thru there are very rugged. The high elevation of the mountain brings in some serious wind and cold and snow. Not too long ago it set a winter wind record at around 200mph. Microspikes are mandatory and I'd probably bring a small snow shovel for easier tent setup. A Voile XLM shovel is now part of my standard winter load as I'm tired of moving a foot of snow off the ground to put up my tunnel tent.

I use Easton nail-like stakes and they will pound into frozen ground if you use a rock and go slow.

Digging a cathole in frozen ground is impossible although with dead leaves on the ground atop a forest duff there's usually a way to scrape out a hole. I use the tip of my hiking pole for digging a cathole. In serious cold when everything's frozen solid you can take a dump and place a big rock over it. OR take a dump by the tent and let it freeze solid and either carry it out (no way) or fling it hard like a frisbee deep into a down hill clump of rhododendron. Way downhill. OR when you get to camp in the afternoon, dig a cathole right off before the night time freeze while the ground is somewhat thawed and use this hole when you need it later when the ground is frozen.

TIP: If the tent stakes freeze solid in the ground, hammer them in an inch and they will pull right out.

Holy sh.......200 mph...don't think my tent would last!!![emoji100][emoji90]

July
11-25-2014, 10:25
Stool Thoughts:

As my female counterparts have imparted to me over the years, a woman gives birth to perpetuate life. As a Man we tend to brag on our dumps as this is what we impart :) If consuming a proper diet ones stool should come out solid with good consistency, in freezing weather as TiPi mentioned, said stool can be flung off the mountain in Olympic fashion into the rhotos. If eating and metabolizing poorly, upon dripping out, turn duff over and cover.

saltysack
11-25-2014, 10:30
Sounds like a new Olympic event is born! The SH.. Toss!![emoji1]

Tipi Walter
11-25-2014, 10:33
Sounds like a new Olympic event is born! The SH.. Toss!![emoji1]

I call it the Viscous Discus Event.

colorado_rob
11-25-2014, 10:39
We backpack all the time in winter in the Colorado high country, heading out this coming weekend in fact, but this time of year even at CO altitudes, I doubt the ground will be frozen quite solid yet, maybe a crust, but not solid until maybe January. Could be utterly different out east, of course, but we've had some bitter cold already ourselves. If you have a decent layer of snow already, that should keep the ground from being frozen solid yet (snow insulates well).

I find that canister stoves work OK for short trips, as mentioned, just be ready to warm the canister up a few times. Have you considered an inverted canister stove? Maybe yours is convertible to an inverted system? All you need are the proper hose fittings, with the canister off to the side and inverted. They work very well in the cold, as well as a white gas stove, though I think if you do any extended trips, more than a couple days, ultimately white gas stoves are more weight efficient.

Second Hand
11-25-2014, 10:41
If there is a lot of snow on the ground and you can't drive tent stakes into the ground, bring regular grocery bags. Fill them with snow and tie off the tents guy lines to the snow. A little trick I've used in New Hampshire and VT for several years now when the snow is to deep to properly guy out a tent.

Sleep with your water and have fun. I spent an unseasonably cold night on the side of Camels Hump last weekend. It was down to 12 degrees when I checked my thermometer at 8PM (8PM mine as well be midnight when the sun goes down 4:15). My only other advice is to bring a book, a warm meal, and enjoy yourself.

illabelle
11-25-2014, 10:44
I've been hoping someone would resurrect the poop thread. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/105601-The-Poop-thread
It's always a fun subject.

hikernutcasey
11-25-2014, 11:16
I've been hoping someone would resurrect the poop thread. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/105601-The-Poop-thread
It's always a fun subject.Well, turning this into a discussion about poop wasn't my intention but I did get my questions answered and have been entertained at the same time :)

As far as Grandfather Mtn. goes, Tipi is right that it can get downright nasty up there. I live an hour away so it is like a personal playground for me. If you have never been up the Profile Trail and across the Grandfather Trail along the ridgeline you are missing out. Amazingly rugged hiking for our neck of the woods and view a plenty.

My plan is to go up and hike during the day with plans on staying overnight but will watch the weather and make sure it is safe to stay. If the wind is howling north of 40 or 50 I will probably take a rain check on the overnight.

colorado_rob
11-25-2014, 11:19
Speaking of poop, by the way, for short winter trips, like 1-2 nighters in winter, when the ground is frozen solid or the snow is too deep to even get down to the ground to dig a hole, we generally "blue bag" our poop (google it), meaning we let it freeze, put it into "blue bags" and carry it out. this is typically what is done on high, crowded big mountain climbs.

saltysack
11-25-2014, 11:30
Speaking of poop, by the way, for short winter trips, like 1-2 nighters in winter, when the ground is frozen solid or the snow is too deep to even get down to the ground to dig a hole, we generally "blue bag" our poop (google it), meaning we let it freeze, put it into "blue bags" and carry it out. this is typically what is done on high, crowded big mountain climbs.

I'm not a advocate of plastic bags as for the environmental impacts....but think I'd double bag that!!!![emoji1]

colorado_rob
11-25-2014, 11:41
I'm not a advocate of plastic bags as for the environmental impacts....but think I'd double bag that!!!![emoji1]
some are TRIPLE, actually; there is one model that comes with a piece of waxed paper, with a target on it, yes this is true... you place the target on the ground, aim, "fire", sprinkle on some sort of deodorant (provided in kit, like kitty litter) pull the corners of the target in, place into a waxed paper "lunch sack" bag, then place that into a larger biodegradable plastic bag. the larger bag can accommodate about 2-3 poops. It's a very well worked out system, and again, a requirement some places, especially out in the dry west. Ranger stations generally provide these kits free at trailheads where they are required. Plus they have poop-kit disposal stations there as well. We save unused kits for out winter frozen-ground trips back in Colorado, where there are not any restrictions, but really, we don't want to leave human poop laying on top of frozen ground.

But again, I'd be surprised if your ground out there is frozen solid quite yet, especially if you've had some snow.

saltysack
11-25-2014, 11:49
I've heard of that on jmt...mt Whitney...hope to make that trip one day...I guess I'd better work on my aim! My wife might get pissed if I paint a target in the toilet!

Lyle
11-25-2014, 11:54
It is helpful for any "tank on the bottom" stove, white gas or canister, to provide a small square of closed cell foam insulation under it. This insulation from the frozen ground works wonders keeping the stove happy during cooking.

Tipi Walter
11-25-2014, 12:07
The question really is---Who is a member of the exclusive In-Tent Squat and Release Club??

Membership comes in several steps---
** Being caught on a mountaintop in your tent in a hellish blizzard hellstorm.
** Very low temps with a face-eating wind and spindrift.
** Feeling the first foot kicks of a baby turtlehead inside the Man-Colon.
** Needing to go outside to dig a cathole and set up a birthing station but cannot.
** ERGO squatting inside the tent and hovering over a couple paper towels or book pages or anything available.
** Birthing said Young William atop whatever you can find.
** Balling up and placing wad outside tent door to freeze overnight.
** Have a nice day.

You are now a qualified member of the Squat Club.

COMPLICATIONS
** Nutrient cord gets wrapped around turtlehead requiring an emergency Fecal-Breech Birth. Not good.
** Excessive pushing results in nothing happening ergo a camp bowsaw C-section.
** Needing but not having betadine for a complete post-birth rubdown.
** The Turd Itself speaking in tongues, or calling your name.
** A small monkey-hand coming out of the Turd and tripping you up as you walk away from the cathole.
ETC

Kerosene
11-25-2014, 12:27
Tipi, you've obviously spent a lot of time thinking about this while cooped up in your tent those long winter nights!

Feral Bill
11-25-2014, 12:28
Bring plenty of dry socks.

Tipi Walter
11-25-2014, 12:30
Tipi, you've obviously spent a lot of time thinking about this while cooped up in your tent those long winter nights!

It's just the tip of the iceberg.

russb
11-25-2014, 12:41
Tent stakes... Dont use em. Tie off to other things. A stick with a bit of water will soon freeze to the ground.

Nothing to add to the poop replies. Club member here tipi.

hikernutcasey
11-25-2014, 12:42
Bring plenty of dry socks.Is this advice because of the possibility of cold wet conditions or for use in cleaning up the mess you just made squatting in your tent to as Tipi puts it "join the squat and release club"? I guess they could be used for both :)

saltysack
11-25-2014, 13:01
Haaaaaaa think I'd take my chances with frost bite![emoji100][emoji90][emoji87]

Tipi Walter
11-25-2014, 13:23
Is this advice because of the possibility of cold wet conditions or for use in cleaning up the mess you just made squatting in your tent to as Tipi puts it "join the squat and release club"? I guess they could be used for both :)

Placing a nice hiking sock over a puckered O-ring is a waste of a good sock, especially when said O-ring dilates from 1 inch to 7 inches during the actual Release. And a sock does no good with a sputtering splashing effluvium, so common after a bout of mild on-trail food poisoning.

hikernutcasey
11-25-2014, 14:48
Placing a nice hiking sock over a puckered O-ring is a waste of a good sock, especially when said O-ring dilates from 1 inch to 7 inches during the actual Release. And a sock does no good with a sputtering splashing effluvium, so common after a bout of mild on-trail food poisoning.Wow! You must have some giant turds. Now there's a sentence I never thought I'd type on an internet forum!:eek:

Tipi Walter
11-25-2014, 14:50
Wow! You must have some giant turds. Now there's a sentence I never thought I'd type on an internet forum!:eek:

As a rule, the male blowhole shrinks up with age as does the entire tubing and you'll be lucky to get deer pellets or worse, "stringers". The 7 inch figure must be a typo.

saltysack
11-25-2014, 15:54
Rule # 1.......NO MEXICAN FOOD!!!!! Also wet wipes hurt when frozen!

freightliner
11-25-2014, 16:31
Boy all this learning about backpacking has made me pooped. I'm going to need a nap but the only problem is i'll dream about missing the target and I can't find my socks.

daddytwosticks
11-25-2014, 17:22
What, you can't hold your poop for an overnighter? Ever hear of brown blazing? :)

Connie
11-25-2014, 18:21
I don't think the weather forecast would be for the mountain, or, for the mountaintop.

It would be a weather forecast for the towns.

I would think conditions would be much more severe on the mountain.

Our weather forecasts, in Montana, include mountain passes, only if there is a severe weather warning.

On the west coast, the weather forecast might have "snow to 5,000 feet"

juma
11-25-2014, 19:04

yes master.

juma
11-25-2014, 19:13
I don't think the weather forecast would be for the mountain, or, for the mountaintop.

It would be a weather forecast for the towns.

I would think conditions would be much more severe on the mountain.

Our weather forecasts, in Montana, include mountain passes, only if there is a severe weather warning.

On the west coast, the weather forecast might have "snow to 5,000 feet"

on nws.noaa.gov you can get point forecasts by using the map on the right side, clicking on a location or terrain feature. You will get at least a forecast adjusted for elevation.

ColdSeeker6000
11-25-2014, 19:36
Hi Im honored to have my first post on WB be part of this excellent (if not fecal-oriented) thread! :banana Grandfather Mountain is one of my favorite places to hike (I hike winter only). It probably holds a hand full of winter weather extreme records including a (-58F) windchill (yes fifty eight below zero) recorded by the weather station on the Mile High Bridge in January of this year! See article: http://www.grandfather.com/temperatures-plummet-to-17-degrees-on-grandfather-mountain/

But in hopes to be of some use here I'd recommend adjustable hiking poles and a good method of stashing and retrieving them quickly for the frequent rock scrambles and ladder climbs on the mountain. Its definitely a matter of preference but I find them particularly useful on icy descents. I use LEKI Makalu hiking poles, and Kahtoola KTS steel crampons- which admittedly are overkill at times.

Hope this helps! Have a great and safe time!

saltysack
11-25-2014, 20:02
Placing a nice hiking sock over a puckered O-ring is a waste of a good sock, especially when said O-ring dilates from 1 inch to 7 inches during the actual Release. And a sock does no good with a sputtering splashing effluvium, so common after a bout of mild on-trail food poisoning.

Tipi
Did you train your dog to squat in that hilleberg also?[emoji1]

Tipi Walter
11-26-2014, 11:27
Tipi
Did you train your dog to squat in that hilleberg also?[emoji1]

My old dog was far more advanced than any human and found secret spots unknown to anyone to deposit Assets into his Fecal Account. He went far into the woods to do his business, in other words.

BTW, here are some neato webcams of Grandfather Mt and other places. It's snowing up there now.

http://www.resortcams.com/webcams/grandfather/
This one is of Grandfather Mt.

http://www.beechalpen.com/live_cam/topofthebeech.html
This is Beech Mt.

http://www.resortcams.com/webcams/banner-elk/
This is Banner Elk.

http://www.resortcams.com/webcams/pinnacle-inn/
Another one of Beech Mt.

http://www.resortcams.com/webcams/king-street-boone/
A very neat one of King St in downtown Boone NC (my home for 30 years).

http://www.resortcams.com/webcams/hawksnest/
Seven Devils NC.

http://www.resortcams.com/webcams/sugar-ski/
Sugar Mt NC.

http://www.beardencabins.com/article.php?table=article&mode=search&archived=false&article=43
A last one of Grandfather Mt.

saltysack
11-26-2014, 11:50
Thx for the links...looks like their getting the white stuff!! Dam I'm ready to get out there!

sketcher709
11-28-2014, 01:47
The 7 inch figure must be a typo.

It wouldn't be the first thing a guy ...oh never mind I'll just get in trouble....

hikernutcasey
12-01-2014, 13:04
Well, I made it. Got to trailhead at Hwy 221 Friday around 10:00. It took me 2.5 hours to hike the roughly 3.75 mile to the summit having to fight through the rhodos. Snow was around 7 or 8 inches deep up top. Got down to 19 degrees Friday night. It was a good introductory winter trip for me.

Here's a link (https://www.flickr.com/photos/32059992@N05/sets/72157649141865499/) to some pics I took. In the ones where you can see the big monstrosity condo in the foreground, the bald pointy mountain behind it is Hump Mountain.

saltysack
12-01-2014, 13:13
Nice pix...thx

Connie
12-01-2014, 13:34
"The question really is---Who is a member of the exclusive In-Tent Squat and Release Club??"

This is an excellent exposition on reasons to not have a tent floor.

saltysack
12-01-2014, 14:20
"The question really is---Who is a member of the exclusive In-Tent Squat and Release Club??"

This is an excellent exposition on reasons to not have a tent floor.

Not I said the brown trout!![emoji16]

saltysack
12-01-2014, 14:22
I see Judy @ LHG a charge to clean a dirty tent sent in for warranty repair!!! Haaa maybe I'll try!!

ColdSeeker6000
12-01-2014, 18:33
Looks like a great trip. Thanks for sharing the pics and vid.

Alleghanian Orogeny
12-01-2014, 19:30
Well, I made it. Got to trailhead at Hwy 221 Friday around 10:00. It took me 2.5 hours to hike the roughly 3.75 mile to the summit having to fight through the rhodos. Snow was around 7 or 8 inches deep up top. Got down to 19 degrees Friday night. It was a good introductory winter trip for me.

Here's a link (https://www.flickr.com/photos/32059992@N05/sets/72157649141865499/) to some pics I took. In the ones where you can see the big monstrosity condo in the foreground, the bald pointy mountain behind it is Hump Mountain.

At the end of your panorama video, I could make out the Rich Mountain-Howards Knob ridge overlooking Boone, and the Rich Mountain-Flattop Mountain ridge overlooking Blowing Rock and Foscoe. Also the little ridge my family's vacation home sits atop. I was there and sledding with my grandson on Friday and Saturday.

Great effort to get through the snow from the US 221 trailhead to the summit in only 2.5 hours! Did you use the Daniel Boone Scout Trail all the way, or did you use Nuwati/Crag Way for one leg or another? Love me some Crag Way, but it might be sketchy with snow and ice on the ground.

AO

Alleghanian Orogeny
12-01-2014, 19:36
Nice shot of upper Boone Fork bowl from the Crag Way. Very nice shot of Snake Mtn, Pottertown Gap, and Elk Knob opposite of Snake, also.

AO

hikernutcasey
12-02-2014, 09:31
Nice shot of upper Boone Fork bowl from the Crag Way. Very nice shot of Snake Mtn, Pottertown Gap, and Elk Knob opposite of Snake, also.

AOThanks! I love hiking the mountains around Boone because you can look around in most any direction and view other notable mountains that are very recognizable. Just from Grandfather alone you can see the Blacks, Roan, Grassy Ridge, Big Yellow Mtn., Hump, Sugar, Beech, Snake, Elk Knob and even though the pictures don't show it you could make out Whitetop with the naked eye all the way in Virginia. Pretty awesome.

Alleghanian Orogeny
12-02-2014, 10:33
No doubt it's the long views which spurs me to hike summit/view routes.

On New Year's Day 2014, the wife and I lucked in to bluebird weather and what turned out to be a 1-day re-opening of the Blue Ridge Parkway between NC 80 and Mt Mitchell. We drove the BRP from Blowing Rock to Mt Mitchell and spent an hour and a half at the summit. Could see Mt Rogers/Whitetop, Holston, Unaka, and of course Grandfather, Table Rock, and Hawksbill. Awesome day with very little haze. It was completely cool to trace the AT from way down in the Smokies all the way to Mt Rogers, with only a few short segments blocked by high ground in-between.

AO