PDA

View Full Version : Springer Mtn

dtimko
10-22-2005, 20:27
So the wife and I have been looking at some good weekend trips. We were considering hiking the approach trail, tenting around Springer or so and hiking back the next day. I have read a few places that lead me to believe there may be a hungry bear around the shelter (I read someone's hammock story). Is this still the case? She is pretty new to hiking/backpacking and is pretty worried about bears.

Dan

saimyoji
10-22-2005, 20:32
Right now there are hungry bears all over. :dance

orangebug
10-22-2005, 21:06
The info up on Springer is to sleep in the shelter or the fields near it, avoiding campsites on the summit. You should plan to bear bag, in any case. The plan for a walk up the approach trail and back down is a very nice weekend trip.

dtimko
10-22-2005, 21:35
The info up on Springer is to sleep in the shelter or the fields near it, avoiding campsites on the summit. You should plan to bear bag, in any case. The plan for a walk up the approach trail and back down is a very nice weekend trip.
Yeah, we have camped at the Amicalola Falls campgrounds, but didn't realize how "non camping" their sites were. Most were there in campers/RVs and were watching TV. We did a day hike up the approach trail and back, but started too late to make it all the way to Springer. Only got as far as the clearing where some small plane crashed. We had thought about using some of the campsites on the trail, but I'm not too sure if thats a great idea right now. Haven't been to Springer so I didn't know the layout. If its ok to tent around the shelter, thats fine with us. Maybe some other hikers out there to socialize with also. There should be some southbounders coming through or some small trippers like us.

Dances with Mice
10-22-2005, 22:14
Haven't been to Springer so I didn't know the layout. If its ok to tent around the shelter, thats fine with us. Maybe some other hikers out there to socialize with also. There should be some southbounders coming through or some small trippers like us. Don't camp on the summit, there are signs posted asking people not to.

From the summit continue south a few hundred yards to the blue-blaze trail to the shelter. Heading toward the shelter on the blue-blaze, there will be a field on the left with numerous campsites spread in an arc around the edge of the field. It's only 30 - 40 yards from the shelter.

Dances with Mice
10-22-2005, 22:16
From the summit continue south NORTH! I meant north.

dtimko
10-22-2005, 22:38
Don't camp on the summit, there are signs posted asking people not to.

From the summit continue south a few hundred yards to the blue-blaze trail to the shelter. Heading toward the shelter on the blue-blaze, there will be a field on the left with numerous campsites spread in an arc around the edge of the field. It's only 30 - 40 yards from the shelter.
Thanks for the help! That sounds like a pretty good plan.