PDA

View Full Version : Wayah Bald Observation Tower

STICK
11-25-2014, 17:20
So, I have hiked past the Wayah Bald Observation tower a few times, however, I have always been hiking through. Each time I have been through there, I wondered about the parking area, such as how to get to it, but never really gave it much else thought. Well, now I want to take my son and daughter with me for a short overnight hike, but I am not sure if my daughter would be game to hike from Wayah Gap to the tower, and then to the shelter below it.... So, that got me to thinking about the parking area. If I was able to park there, she would be ok with that distance.

So, the best I can tell is to take the gravel road on the north bound side of Wayah Gap, and follow it for about 4.4 miles and it will dead end at the parking area? Is this correct?

Also, is this a fairly safe place to leave a car overnight?

Thanks for the help.

AO2134
11-25-2014, 17:42
I have left a car overnight with no problems. The parking lot is up a well maintained forest road. It is accessible by all cars.

RED-DOG
11-25-2014, 18:20
In Franklin NC take HWY 64 west towards Murphy NC for 3.8 miles to " Old Murphy RD SR1448 " on your right, see Wayah bald sign after you take the exit, continue down the hill for just 0.2 miles to wayah RD ( SR 1310 ) on your left will be Loafers Glory Gas station ( good place to pick up last minute food items ) will be at the intersection of old murphy RD continue on wayah RD for 9.1 miles where you'll find FR#69 on the right at Wayah gap take this gavel RD for another 4.4 miles to the wayah bald area and look out tower. and it is the road that you cross Via the AT heading NOBO and you should see the AT a couple of times.
Your vehicle will be safe here.

Please not ignore sign for Winespring Bald vehicles are not allowed on this RD

HeartFire
11-25-2014, 18:23
great road, we've driven it several times, but I think they close it in January for the winter.

Dogwood
11-25-2014, 18:30
From the parking area where the car is walk the access road/access trail up to the Wayah Bald Lookout Tower. It's easier on little legs. Camp near by. Bring H2O. The kids will love it up there at the tower especially camping nearby on a clear night. I know. I'm a big kid and I like doing this. :) Hike single track slowly DOWN. Good spot to centralize at w/ children if the weather is iffy and the trip is abbreviated too.

Dogwood
11-25-2014, 18:35
Maybe some others can chime in on the closet water sources to the Lookout Tower. Last time I remember, a water source was on the AT northern side some elevation down from the tower. I know there's a water source near the Bartram/AT junction north on the AT from the tower. I just am not 100% positive though. Others could advise you better about this.

RED-DOG
11-25-2014, 18:45
The only water source I know of their is to the left of the wayah bald shelter side trail which is the water source for the shelter about half mile from the tower. but as you drive up FR 69 their is a spring to the right of the road about I would say 2 miles south of the tower.

saltysack
11-25-2014, 19:26
I was passin thru there a few weeks back...I remember there being a water source a little north of the tower...lil before shelter...I think I lost a ziplock with my wet wipes near by....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cj2874
11-28-2014, 13:07
Stick, I have left a rental car there for 5 nights as I hiked the Bartam- AT loop with no problems.

cj2874
11-28-2014, 13:10
There is a nice privy at the parking lot also.

saltysack
11-28-2014, 16:38
There is a nice privy at the parking lot also.

I didn't see any privy few weeks back....I was in need!![emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cj2874
11-28-2014, 18:45
Its there right at the end of the five paved parking spots around the bend before the loop. You can even see it from Ggogle earth.

HeartFire
11-28-2014, 19:46
So I had to open google earth to see - yup - it's there