PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use 2 bags/quilts to achieve better winter ratings?

saltysack
11-26-2014, 12:00
I currently have a 15 deg marmot helium down bag and a 40 deg Sierra stealth JRB down quilt...marmot lil over 2lbs and JRB 1lb.. Can't really afford another expensive piece currently...last winter got lil chilly at 10 deg with marmot only...thinking about trying the quilt over top bag...anyone try this? If so was it worth the extra weight..also planning to upgrade my lower base layer to cap 3 or 4...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AO2134
11-26-2014, 12:16
Following. I long thought about this same thing. I love to hear from those who have done it.

Rocket Jones
11-26-2014, 12:46
Might consider upgrading your pad(s). You lose a fair amount of warmth from underneath.

saltysack
11-26-2014, 12:57
Might consider upgrading your pad(s). You lose a fair amount of warmth from underneath.

I use a neoair xlite but also plan to supplement with a xlite pad as well...since already have one...

saltysack
11-26-2014, 12:57
Zlite...

Don H
11-26-2014, 12:59
I double up sleeping bags every winter. I sleep in the lowest rated one and open the second up and us it as a quilt. I also double my pads by using a couple of loops of 1/8' cord to keep them from slipping off each other.

saltysack
11-26-2014, 13:04
Thx...I'll give it a try

DLP
11-26-2014, 13:09
I have done it and would do it again on short hikes. I have a down REI Sub Kilo which is rated at 19 degrees (but realistically, it is more like 30 degrees). I paired it with a super roomy synthetic 1 pound Lafuma 40 or 50 degree bag (that is more of a 60 degree bag). I've cut the hood off the lafuma bag. The two bags together weigh about 3 lbs. I also had both bags and I'm kind of cheap and didn't want to buy more stuff or spend more money.

To me, the worst isn't the weight, since 3 lbs for a winter bag isn't bad. The two bags took up a lot of space, but I was able to fit a bear can in there and all my usual stuff plus a warmer coat okay. But it was a tight fit.

I don't need to use a warmer pad... but my sister was freezing and it was probably the pad and not enough bag.

Also be aware that if you cram one bag inside of another... you can compress the insulation and not gain any warmth.

But, it did work for me... but you're mileage may vary. And this being hiking...that is both literally and figuratively true. :)

Dogwood
11-26-2014, 13:29
In the example given you're only trying to make up 5* difference between the Helium and the lowest sleeping temp. There are quite a few ways to do that, probably comfortably so, with less wt, bulk, expense, and complexity than the current bag/quilt option you're considering. I will remind you sleeping comfortably while making up only a 5* difference can not just be solved by throwing more gear at it.

saltysack
11-26-2014, 13:30
Thx DLP....space isn't s issue as have plenty for both in my circuit as they get put in compactor bag with out stuff sacks...all my winter gear makes pack fill out nicely as down packs well...I realize compressing down losses warmth as I plan to layer the quilt over the bag so shouldn't get compressed..

Tipi Walter
11-26-2014, 15:28
It's too bad you live in Florida, otherwise you could just sleep outside tonight in the backyard and see what works.

In the old days when I was dirt poor using two bags was my go-to solution to sleeping out at 0F or below. Anything will work (at the expense of weight and bulk). I spent a whole winter bedroll camping using a boy scout pvc poncho ground cloth with a standard Thermarest and inside a North Face polarguard Bigfoot bag with a heavy 1950's era Sears rectangular flannel bag on top. The Sears bag was unzipped and spread over the NF bag and had a water resistant canvas cover which always got covered with new snow by morning. The whole wad kept me warm at Ten below easy. Just had a hard time carrying it all.

saltysack
11-26-2014, 16:00
Yep hard to field test here! Lil over 3lbs isn't a problem nor bulk so I'll give it a shot...

OwenM
11-26-2014, 19:43
I think that would make a good combo. May take my 50F quilt to use with my Katabatic Palisade if we get single digits or slightly below 0F where I hike again this year, but more to play with than anything. My down parka weighs the same, and will let me push the Palisade to those temps when combined with some grid fleece bottoms(both over midweight baselayers). The parka is going along for camp use, anyway, but the additional quilt should allow the sleep system to go at least another 10-15F lower, regardless.

saltysack
11-26-2014, 20:03
Yep use montbell UL down parka but my jrt gets that along w my rain shell over his diy down vest to sleep bag.

Happycamper215
11-26-2014, 21:48
I put my 20F Enigma under my 30F Plasma which I leave open like a quilt (I'm a side sleeper and can't stand the restriction of mummy bags) and find it doesn't compress the quilt as much. I use an Xtherm pad and silk liner. I'm warm down below 10F and can't wear socks or my feet sweat.

July
11-26-2014, 22:03
Back in the day had a Mountain Hardwear 40-50ish bag and a North Face Cats Meow synthetic. Cut the zipper out of the MH and layered inside the NF. Spent many sub zero nights in this set up with some Army wool long johns and toboggan. These days a good WM bag takes care of all the above.

MuddyWaters
11-26-2014, 23:28
Nothing wrong with doing this. It is best to use synthetic for the outer layer, as that is where condensation of your body moisture will mostly take place below freezing.

saltysack
11-27-2014, 00:39
Thx...all...both pieces are down

Dogwood
11-27-2014, 02:30
Do you hang? Use the JRB Steath as under quilt and sleep in the Helium. It's nice getting off the ground in FL away from the fire ants, armadillos, coons, and palmetto bugs, huh hem, cockroaches.

Feral Bill
11-27-2014, 03:19
Double bagging is pretty standard for deep winter weather, especially considering the versatility. I've used it on trips from +40 to -35. At the low end of that weight is definitely secondary.

July
11-27-2014, 04:52
Well.. heck Yeah..experience rules....Spokane, SHOUT! :)

saltysack
11-27-2014, 08:49
Do you hang? Use the JRB Steath as under quilt and sleep in the Helium. It's nice getting off the ground in FL away from the fire ants, armadillos, coons, and palmetto bugs, huh hem, cockroaches.

I've never hiked in Fl...I travel to nc for work so try to get out 6-8 hikes per year on AT...I tent as I hike with my dog...keeps him confined at night easier..also a stomach sleeper....tried hammock but couldn't get used to it..

tagg
11-27-2014, 09:30
I layered my Sierra Stealth over my Montbell #2 one night on Mt. Rogers when the temp got down into the teens, and doing so worked great. I'd guess it added 5-10 degrees of warmth.

saltysack
11-27-2014, 10:41
I layered my Sierra Stealth over my Montbell #2 one night on Mt. Rogers when the temp got down into the teens, and doing so worked great. I'd guess it added 5-10 degrees of warmth.

Thx...I have a sea to summit reactor liner....they claim it adds 10 degrees...I don't notice much as its paper thin...definitely going to try later my JRB this winter

Demeter
11-28-2014, 15:15
I have layered quilts in my hammock down to ~ -5°F. Nice and warm. But TQ layered move too much and proved too much bulk. YMMV Ground-dweller :)