PDA

View Full Version : Question about Hostels

Ray C
11-26-2014, 13:17
I am planning on a Thru hike in March 2015.
Well for this weekend we are doing a three day hike along The Appalachian Trail and will be staying in a hostel for two nights.
Being new to hostels I have a question, I don't want to offend anyone and would like to know is it customary to tip the hostel and or staff?

Thanks for any advice.

Ray C.

4shot
11-26-2014, 13:31
I don't know which one you are staying at but many run on "donations". Give what you can and if you can afford it, be generous. This would suffice in lieu of a tip.I am pretty sure they appreciate it although most certainly don't do it for money. I think they enjoy the stink that only hikers can produce.;)

slbirdnerd
11-26-2014, 13:32
I'm a section hiker and have stayed in a couple hostels. I hadn't thought about tipping, didn't tip, and didn't feel like it was expected or anything. I am curious to see what people say, though. I guess in general, if you are extremely satisfied with your stay you can always tip. I do remember the one hostel had a big jar for donations, I did put some money in there--so that was kind of like a tip.

Coffee
11-26-2014, 13:43
I don't think it is necessary in commercial hostels. I would donate (tip) at least $20/night for donation based hostels or trail Angels, and probably more if any shuttles or meals were included.

DavidNH
11-26-2014, 14:00
So Coffee.. you are going to give 20 bucks for what is an effectively free or almost free service. Wow.. if I am ever low on cash I am coming to see you. A donation means drop a few bucks in the can. It doesn't mean you pay double or triple the advertised price.

Coffee
11-26-2014, 14:06
So Coffee.. you are going to give 20 bucks for what is an effectively free or almost free service. Wow.. if I am ever low on cash I am coming to see you. A donation means drop a few bucks in the can. It doesn't mean you pay double or triple the advertised price.
HYOH, Tip Your Own Tip

Tuckahoe
11-26-2014, 14:25

I did not realize that there was a limit to or that you could even determine how much I could choose to give to a donation based hostel.

But I am of the same opinion as Coffee and I tend to leave donations that are often nearly equal to the local market price for the same service, but I do not specifically leave a tip.

Havana
11-26-2014, 14:26
HYOH, Tip Your Own Tip

+1 to Coffee. Give what you think it's worth.

Tuckahoe
11-26-2014, 14:27
HYOH, Tip Your Own Tip

Amen and better said!

RED-DOG
11-26-2014, 14:29
some hostels run on the donation and others have a set price, depends on which hostel you stay at such as Kincora, Church of the Mountains run on donations others such as Uncle Johnnies, and sunny bank inn have a set price, if you stay at a hostel that runs on donation, give depending on your experinces their such as if the hostel is clean, and the owner has a good personality give more if you have a bad experience give less and also don't be shy let the Owner/caretaker know about your experience their that way they will know what to do to give future visitors a better experience.

it would be nice if we knew which hostel you planned to stay at that way we could give you feed back based upon our own experinces with said Hostel.

I personnaly have stayed at just about every hostel along the AT.

Jeff
11-26-2014, 14:53
Most hostels spell out what they expect for services in AWOL's AT Guide and The Companion. Tipping is NOT expected. Of course, if the service provided is way beyond your expectations, tipping may be a way to say THANKS.

lonehiker
11-26-2014, 15:14
+1 to Coffee. Give what you think it's worth.

I'm sure if you did a search, Coffee started a thread about what was expected of him in regards to this issue. He then becomes an expert on the issue.

Ray C
11-26-2014, 15:21
Thanks for the help guys.

Starchild
11-26-2014, 15:24
Tipping is not expected by the owner, but most likely greatly appreciated and needed by any staff who may only receive free room and board and perhaps a small (non-wage) stipend. Donations however are the bread and butter in other ones and allow them to offer quality stays.

Coffee
11-26-2014, 15:41
I'm no expert lonehiker. But I am entitled to my opinion.

Old Hiker
11-26-2014, 15:47

So, Dave, how do you come up with "free" or "almost free" service? SOMEONE has to pay for the things in hostel. It's not like the hostel owners/managers are trying to make a profit.

I ALSO donate MORE than is expected. If nothing else, it helps make up the shortages that are left behind by those people who donate minimally or not at all, especially those who think the service is free.

When in doubt, ask. They make smile and say no. They may smile and say, please and thank you. They may smile and say Bless your heart as you walk past the donation jar.

Nooga
11-26-2014, 16:19

Which hostel did you stay at that operates on an effectively free or almost free basis?

Starchild
11-26-2014, 17:02
Which hostel did you stay at that operates on an effectively free or almost free basis?
Jailhouse Hostel, Palmington <sp>, PA (so they do exist)

Coffee
11-26-2014, 17:15
I don't like accepting free goods and services from people and I can pay or donate so I try to unless I feel like doing so would insult the person. But that's just my opinion. People should do what they think is appropriate given their situation.

Starchild
11-26-2014, 17:21
I don't like accepting free goods and services from people and I can pay or donate so I try to unless I feel like doing so would insult the person. But that's just my opinion. People should do what they think is appropriate given their situation.

Coffee you are blessed to be able to do that.

Coffee
11-26-2014, 17:34
Definitely didn't mean to offend anyone.

Carbo
11-26-2014, 17:53
If you leave a donation and it feels "right" then you did the right thing.

johnnybgood
11-26-2014, 18:02
If you leave a donation and it feels "right" then you did the right thing.

+ 1 No need to feel bad for doing good .

Teacher & Snacktime
11-26-2014, 18:25
Last year, I'd posed the "donation" question before planning our Spring Trip. There was lots of opinion, and lots of advice, and it all culminated in "do what you feel is best". Now Snacktime and I have stayed in many hostels of different styles, and this is what we've learned:

Donation-based is just that. If someone were passing a hat to cover costs incurred by yours and other's stays, what would you contribute? What would you consider your fair share? (personally I think Snacktime and I drain a little more than our share from the system, so we go by this idea "plus a little"). If you have trouble with the concept of donating to something "free", consider the basket passed around at a church. The mass is free, the heat for the building is not. For the same token, if you don't have it, don't sweat it. Find another way to contribute or pay it forward. Also, tipping in such a situation would be awkward as funds given are for the purpose of maintaining the service, not personal reward.

Commercially-based. You pay the price asked, and there's often a paid staff that provides service. Absolutely tip is there is service given above and beyond what was expected. This has occurred for us, and we did, but I wouldn't have had I not been able to see that the tip went directly to the individual who deserved it.

imscotty
11-26-2014, 18:54
Look at all the hostels along the AT that have gone out of business. If people want to enjoy them, then they need to support them. Seems pretty simple to me. If someone has the means to make a generous donation to balance out those who don't, well my hats off to them.

saltysack
11-26-2014, 19:29
If you can't afford to tip a few bucks....maybe you should pass on the services!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soilman
11-26-2014, 19:33
My hiking companion stayed at a hostel and was waiting for change after settling up with the proprietor. After about 20 minutes the hostel owner came back with the change and said "thanks for the tip." I use a rule of thumb when it comes to donations at hostels. I donate what the average no-frills commercial hostel charges. I figure if I am willing to pay the commercial hostel, I can pay a not-for-profit. I agree with imscotty.

kayak karl
11-26-2014, 20:03
If you can't afford to tip a few bucks....maybe you should pass on the services!!

i agree totally. too many times people decide how much to give based on THEIR finances, not on the services received . the one comment that $20 was a lot cracked me up. LW is right, the same person wouldn't think twice about throwing a 20 on the bar :)

Mother Natures Son
11-26-2014, 20:12
What is the tip going for? Good service or what? I've been a volunteer in a hostel that the manager took the tips to line her pockets. (She did this because she thought she deserved it! Not because she did a great job or anything.)

saltysack
11-26-2014, 20:14
If u can't afford to thru stay home like me....I'm jealous and broke!![emoji1]

Nooga
11-27-2014, 11:08
Jailhouse Hostel, Palmington <sp>, PA (so they do exist)

You are correct, I had forgotten about the Jailhouse Hostel and I don't remember a request for a donation.

Sly
11-27-2014, 12:26
Let's be clear, the definition of

do·na·tion dōˈnāSH(ə)n
noun
noun donation plural noun donations

something that is given to a charity, especially a sum of money.

the action of donating something.

There's nothing about being voluntary in there. If there's a donation jar, you're expected to leave something. If there's a "suggested donation" that's the minimum. You can always add a tip.

lonehiker
11-27-2014, 13:10
Let's be clear, the definition of

do·na·tion dōˈnāSH(ə)n
noun
noun donation plural noun donations

something that is given to a charity, especially a sum of money.

the action of donating something.

There's nothing about being voluntary in there. If there's a donation jar, you're expected to leave something. If there's a "suggested donation" that's the minimum. You can always add a tip.

Nothing about being required either. Word games go both ways.

Sly
11-27-2014, 14:15
Nothing about being required either. Word games go both ways.

If you refuse to get it, you never will.

Bronk
11-27-2014, 14:27
A donation is absolutely voluntary. Otherwise its called a fee. And it is tacky and low class to tell people how much they should "donate." Most places that operate on donations do so because if they were operating as a for profit business they would be violating a whole bunch of laws that they can get around if they offer free services and accept donations. If you want the protections of the laws, you have to follow them. If you don't want to follow the law, then don't complain when people don't "donate."

Sly
11-27-2014, 14:50
Just because a hostel is operating on donations doesn't mean they're violating the law. If a hostel is in a town that doesn't allow them they're going to get shut down, regardless of if it's on a donation basis.

If someone doesn't want to, or refuses to pay for services rendered, it's on them, and since it's been mentioned, tacky and low class.

Starchild
11-27-2014, 16:02
A donation is absolutely voluntary. Otherwise its called a fee. And it is tacky and low class to tell people how much they should "donate." Most places that operate on donations do so because if they were operating as a for profit business they would be violating a whole bunch of laws that they can get around if they offer free services and accept donations. If you want the protections of the laws, you have to follow them. If you don't want to follow the law, then don't complain when people don't "donate."

Yellow Deli is a 'mandatory donation' in practice, IIRC there are others as well. Sort of a way to get the benefits of being a donation hostel yet still charge a fixed amount.

Four Pines, Chet's Place, and Blueberry Patch are OTOH no pressure donation hostels.

But as for it is tacky to suggest a donation amount, people sometimes need a guideline just so they know the amount so I don't take it as tacky YMMV.

Starchild
11-27-2014, 16:06
Just because a hostel is operating on donations doesn't mean they're violating the law. If a hostel is in a town that doesn't allow them they're going to get shut down, regardless of if it's on a donation basis.

Actually the law is different in many places for these 2 types. If it is a for profit business that has overnight guests for pay certain requirements need to be met that may include handycap accessible, stainless steal 'commercial' kitchen with proper venting, exit ways clearly marked and a floor layout that allows that, fire systems. Also a lot of extra accounting and documentation.

Starchild
11-27-2014, 16:08
Actually the law is different in many places for these 2 types. If it is a for profit business that has overnight guests for pay certain requirements need to be met that may include handycap accessible, stainless steal 'commercial' kitchen with proper venting, exit ways clearly marked and a floor layout that allows that, fire systems. Also a lot of extra accounting and documentation.

Going on with this, it is not that the hostel is breaking the law, but they may need to make improvements to make it non-donation. If they just started changing but didn't have the improvements then they would be breaking the law.

Bronk
11-27-2014, 16:32

If someone doesn't want to, or refuses to pay for services rendered, it's on them, and since it's been mentioned, tacky and low class.As others have pointed out, I'm not saying they are violating the law...sorry if I gave that impression...what I am saying is that there are a whole host of laws that they would be violating if they were operating a commercial business...ie lots of requirements, licenses and inspections that most hostels I've seen would never be able to pass without a substantial outlay of time and money. And I totally agree that its tacky and low class to use a service and then stiff the person providing it. And its pretty clear that there are many people who do that. I'm just saying it doesn't take more than a couple weeks running a hostel to figure this out, and if you have chosen to operate on voluntary donations, don't be surprised or upset when a lot of people don't volunteer.

Sly
11-27-2014, 16:52
I would think the number one reason hostels get stiffed is because in order to keep the costs low there's no hired help, or a volunteer willing to stand guard 18 hours a day and collect from deadbeats.

Once you hire someone as a caretaker, it then it becomes a regular business, salaries paid, prices raised and against the original intent of providing low cost housing to hikers. It's just easier to slap up a sign, put up a jar, and hope for the best.

Here's what the Companion says on the subject. I would think the AT Guide has similar language

DONATIONS
Many hostels listed in this book suggest donations for the services provided. This means that the
service should not be considered a gift or that it costs the provider nothing. The honor system of
the Trail requires that you leave something.

saltysack
11-28-2014, 16:43
I would think the number one reason hostels get stiffed is because in order to keep the costs low there's no hired help, or a volunteer willing to stand guard 18 hours a day and collect from deadbeats.

Once you hire someone as a caretaker, it then it becomes a regular business, salaries paid, prices raised and against the original intent of providing low cost housing to hikers. It's just easier to slap up a sign, put up a jar, and hope for the best.

Here's what the Companion says on the subject. I would think the AT Guide has similar language

Leave no trace takes on new meaning[emoji2]
Cheap bastards!!!!