PDA

View Full Version : Safe to hike/camp by myself on appalachian trail?

survivalisthiker
11-26-2014, 23:37
You think I'm safe by myself hiking/camping on the appalachian trail in maryland?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atmilkman
11-26-2014, 23:40
With a name like suvivalisthiker - my money's on you!

MuddyWaters
11-27-2014, 00:00
Generally yes, but more information would be necessary to elicit informed responses.

AO2134
11-27-2014, 00:04
With a name like suvivalisthiker - my money's on you!

Gold. I am a novice at hiking/backpacking/camping and I am fine in GA. Common sense will take you a long way.

colorado_rob
11-27-2014, 00:06
Offhand, I'd say definitely not.

July
11-27-2014, 00:19
Bottom Line. You will encounter Ridge Runners. If you match up all is Good, if shakey, take your time, time heals. Sometimes.

survivalisthiker
11-27-2014, 01:12
What are ridge runners?

atmilkman
11-27-2014, 01:19
What are ridge runners?

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/what-we-do/trail-management-support/ridgerunners-caretakers

survivalisthiker
11-27-2014, 01:21
I never see anyone on the AT when I go in the winter. It's like no one likes the cold or snow lol

hikehunter
11-27-2014, 01:28
The AT is a high-way for hikers. There are people on it almost everyday of the year....
less in the far north in the winter... be aware of your suroundings.... if you do not have a buddy that goes with you...it is not a game ender...
there is safty in numbers....

if you start a thru in late feb. or early march you will almost never be left alone.....

a lady can do it with little to no fear.... find the group of hikers that feels best and work with them.... there are good people out there....and they will be helpful in your hike.....

the bad people are few and very far between....the media just makes it look like the very bad....it is what they need to sell ....

I hope you find what you need to do a great hike......good luck and enjoy...:cool::D:D:cool:

Malto
11-27-2014, 08:12
You think I'm safe by myself hiking/camping on the appalachian trail in maryland?

what exactly are you concerned about?

Tipi Walter
11-27-2014, 09:47
I never see anyone on the AT when I go in the winter. It's like no one likes the cold or snow lol

Seriously true. Americans have a difficult time getting more than 10 feet from their wall thermostats. I pulled a 24 day backpacking trip last January and didn't see a single human for 23 of the 24 days. The guys I did see on Day 24 were bailing out of the woods as quick as they could.

saltysack
11-27-2014, 10:38
Another reason I love the winter hiking season....nice and quiet...

Old Hiker
11-27-2014, 10:52
Seriously true. Americans have a difficult time getting more than 10 feet from their wall thermostats. .......................

TW, I take EXCEPTIONAL.....................exception to that statement. Every time I go downstairs, I'm at least 50 feet from the thermostat. ;) And it NEVER goes below 79* for the A/C during the day and NEVER below 74* at night.

Plus, it's gotten down to 60* in the house for several hours in the winter. I NEVER put the heat on. :eek:

Seriously, I like reading about your exploits during the winter. I'd like to try something like it, albeit shorter. I like the idea of just walking out into the middle of nowhere, setting up camp and staying for a while.

I think the best I've done is a couple of Scout trainings for 3 days each. Both trainings were in the winter - one in Belgium, one in Maryland - and both were below 30* the entire time. No buildings, just individual tents and a canopy for the classes. Half the class was gone by the first night. It was interesting.

Stay safe - stay warm.

Kerosene
11-27-2014, 11:22
My guess is that you will be safer the further you get from a road crossing. Just trust your instincts and let people know where you are and when you plan to return.

July
11-27-2014, 11:36
What are ridge runners?

A Great group of folks that help to maintain and monitor the Trail. When the hiker with the cotton wallyworld bag is soaking wet and close to death, a ridgerunner will show up...

Odd Man Out
11-27-2014, 12:33

That's a little bit like asking "how long is a piece of string?". Define "safe".

survivalisthiker
11-27-2014, 12:34
Me having to deal with animals

atraildreamer
11-27-2014, 12:45
Me having to deal with animals...

I hiked alone on the AT in Vermont. The only problem I had was two porcupines who decided to pay a visit at 2AM at the Stratton Mountain shelter!

saltysack
11-27-2014, 12:47

Don't have to worry about animals!

July
11-27-2014, 13:00

A pair of Owls mating in the wee morning hours can cause quite the ruckus. They are screamers.

Connie
11-27-2014, 15:40
I got raided by racoons, once. Did you know their sharp little teeth puncture heavy retort packaging? Well, they can, and, I thought I was prepared. Food containers for bears aren't only for bears.

My racoon strategy? I don't want racoons scampering all over my campsite, or, chewing on my gear for "salt".

I had a tiny can of fancy cat food. I "pop" the lid, and, tossed it far away from my campsite.

Next morning, I found the empty can.

Kevin108
11-27-2014, 16:27
In any situation, it's usually the two legged critters you have to worry about.

kayak karl
11-27-2014, 16:51
i have never seen a racoon on the AT. Car camping places, yes. was this in Maryland?

Connie
11-27-2014, 17:12
No racoons? In Detroit, MI we had racoons.

I am in Montana, but that "experience" was in California.

No Directions
11-27-2014, 21:32
A Great group of folks that help to maintain and monitor the Trail. When the hiker with the cotton wallyworld bag is soaking wet and close to death, a ridgerunner will show up...

In 28 years of hiking the AT I've seen 2 Ridge Runners. Don't count on them to show up when you are at deaths door.

July
11-27-2014, 21:38
In 28 years of hiking the AT I've seen 2 Ridge Runners. Don't count on them to show up when you are at deaths door.

lol, don't 'count' on anything just try and be prepared yourself. Yeah I run into RR's on the trail every year seems like.

freightliner
11-27-2014, 22:01
You would be perfectly safe hiking in Maryland anytime any year. The only thing I could say is be careful of the homeless hikers. You can tell who they are because of the gear they carry it's usually bought at like Walmart. Just tell them you got somebody to meet soon and you got to go and go and find a place to stay elsewhere. I met one last winter just over the border in Pennsylvania and that's what I did. I'm sure he was harmless but they got nothing to lose and I'd rather not take the chance.

RETCW4
11-29-2014, 09:52
I've been section hiking alone seven years and only spent two nights alone.

Odd Man Out
11-29-2014, 10:47
I've been section hiking alone seven years and only spent two nights alone.

On the other hand, I camped three nights on the trail this summer and was alone all three. The point is you can do it any way you want to.

Lone Wolf
11-29-2014, 10:50

no...........

Grampie
11-29-2014, 11:30
I hope that folks that hike on the AT don't rely on ridgerunners for their safty. I have thru-hiked and have spent many hours on the AT and have never ncrossed paths with a ridgerunner.
As far as the safty in hiking alone, it would depend on the individual. Some folks have the confidence to be out hiking alone and others don't.
I hiked quite a bit of my thru alone. My feeling was that if I needed assistance, I could depend on someone to come by that could help.
In general; the AT is safer than your average city street.

RED-DOG
11-29-2014, 11:43
Yes it's safe, just use your common sense. I have completed the AT three times and I prefer to hike and camp alone.

saltysack
11-29-2014, 13:43
+1