PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag/Tall Person

Bertius
11-28-2014, 21:05
Hey everybody. I'm getting back into hiking after some time away from it. I need a new sleeping bag/system. I'm 6'7", so that plays a huge factor into what I'm looking for. I'm not opposed to a quilt system, but a traditional bag is king of where I'm leaning. I plan to section hike the AT in NC (not the Smokies) in early April. Any recommendations on a system for someone my height? I'm slim, of that helps. Just wondering if there is a fellow tall person out there with some advice!

MuddyWaters
11-28-2014, 22:16
Cottage vendors like nunatak, enlightened equipment , or zpacks can probably make you custom.

Western mountaineering and feathered friends do provide bags in 7 ft length special order. PhD also lets you custom design bags as well.

None of these are cheap, all high quality stuff.

illabelle
11-29-2014, 19:35
My husband is a hair under 6'4". He has a big bag called a Goliath, not sure if it's still available. I think it's by North Face. His other bag is a Big Agnes. Not sure if you could make that work for you.

freightliner
11-29-2014, 22:04
A sleeping bag is one place I would not go cheap get a good quality bag made for you that's comfortable. If you're only going to have one sleeping bag I would get a warm sleeping bag like 20°. It's way better to be too hot then to be too cold. if you are out during the summer when it's really hot just use it like a quilt. Being that you're only planning on doing sections that one bag will last you a long time if it's good quality. Having one made for your size would be great because it would fit you like a glove and you won't have to carry any more weight than you have to.

saltysack
11-29-2014, 22:26
Call a cottage company....have a custom made....don't skimp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
11-29-2014, 22:28
I'd suggest a 10-20 deg...if can get summer get a 40 deg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offshore
11-30-2014, 09:15
Custom is the way to go. Don't make the mistake of spending $$ on a bag that doesn't fit and you'll never be happy with. A good bag can be lifetime purchase, so think long in terms of not only size, but useful life. A 20F rated bag is a good choice to start.

colorado_rob
11-30-2014, 09:48
It does depend on how you sleep; I'm 6'1" and 6-foot length bags work just fine for me, all my bags are this length except my deep-winter -25 deg bag (which is a long, 6-6 bag) where I need the extra foot room to store stuff during the night.

So maybe a 6'6" bag might work for you, crawl in one somewhere and check it out; REI sells some long-length bags. And I agree with what has been said, a good quality bag is well worth the $$$, don't go cheap here.

mankind117
12-01-2014, 08:06
I'm 6'6" or 6'7" depending on who you ask. I find that most sleeping bags that are sized to 6'6" work for me. That said I've switched to quilts. I have both some katabatic and enlightened equipment quilts. The long katabatic work just fine. I don't feel too strunched. Same with the enlightened but with those you might be able to get a custom longer quilt. If you want a traditional sleeping bag western mountaineering does make a few models in a 7 foot length, just look around their website.