PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 Tent feedback

Traveler
11-29-2014, 06:21
You guys are a powerful influence.... So, I am looking at my gear now, a lot of it from the late 90s/early 2000s and thinking its time to upgrade a few things. Among them is my tent.

Does anyone have any feedback or experience with the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 tents? There are some sales around that bring this tent down to the $300.00 mark (regularly about $390) and I have been eyeing this for a while. It seems to have all the ingredients I need, good vestibule space, spacious interior for one person (can fit two in a pinch), dual side entry doors, appears to have good ventilation, can get my gear inside, reasonably lightweight at around 3lbs, and with the sales going on, the sticker shock won't be as bad.

What if any thoughts on this tent do you have? Is the ground cloth worth the additional weight?

takethisbread
11-29-2014, 07:31
I thruhiked with the fly creek 2 and it was by far the most popular tent on trail. The copper spur UL 2 was also pretty popular and a few close friends used it. If I could do it over again I would have chosen the copper spur and sacrificed a pound or whatever extra weight the copper spur is. Dual doors, great vestibule .,well built and easy to assemble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
11-29-2014, 08:28
If your not stuck on the particular double wall rent check out the LHG solong6....seems to meet your needs...on sale now under $300...I picked up one a few months back.....love the space...@2lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T-Rx
11-29-2014, 09:02
There are a lot of good tents available out there. I have used both single wall and double wall tents and prefer the easy set up of a double wall, free standing tent. However that does come with a bit of weight sacrifice. I currently use the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3 and am very pleased. It has held up very well so far and kept me warm and dry in a couple of heavy rainstorms. The 2 vestibules/ doors are a very nice feature of this tent for taking those late night bathroom breaks and for gear storage. It will be my home for 5-6 months on the trail this coming spring!

Havana
11-29-2014, 10:33
My son uses a Copper Spur UL2 and I just picked up a UL1. Both are great tents. The UL2 is definitely roomier. When I've got all the gear inside my UL1 (yup, set it up on the deck to try things out) it can get cramped so if you're at all claustrophobic it may not be for you. I am envious of the UL2's dual doors. That said, my knees are conscious of the ounces and I try to do them every favor I can. :)

We use a footprint - either one that you can buy or a sheet of tyvek - just because we're paranoid. I'm not sure you need one but then the weight is negligible.

doug105
11-29-2014, 10:52
My wife and I use the cs 3 which seems perfect for 2 plus gear. ground cloth is needed if you want to set
up just the fly.

DougN

Del Q
11-29-2014, 11:37
Great tent, bit on the heavy side. Over the years went from BA to Tarptent to So Long6 in cuben fiber. 47oz to 22oz

Traveler
11-29-2014, 19:21
If your not stuck on the particular double wall rent check out the LHG solong6....seems to meet your needs...on sale now under $300...I picked up one a few months back.....love the space...@2lbs

Appreciate the suggestion, thanks!

squeezebox
11-29-2014, 21:10
I made a Tyvek ground sheet. I tied a small loop of cord to each corner to hook to each corner pole. Takes care of the fly/ ground sheet /no tent issue. Tyvek wt. 7 oz. $ 0. BA ground sheet 5 oz, $70. Polycro maybe 3 oz?? $10-15 or less is my guess. Certainly able to hit a Xmart, or home depot and make another on the trail. Pole weight of the copper spur 2 is about 1lb. says something for using hiking poles.
Sleeping in a copper spur 2 feels like car camping, for only that 1 lb. extra.
Sleeping well is a good thing.