PDA

View Full Version : Tick Collar on Pack?

jred321
11-29-2014, 12:09
Last night I was waiting for sleep to come and was thinking. If you put a dog flea/tick collar on your pack, would it help to keep ticks away from you? I know putting it directly on your skin is bad, but would being near you on your pack help? Would it at least keep them from hitching a ride on your pack to crawl onto you later in camp?

Yes I know, wear long sleeves and pants, spray permethrin, check regularly, wear DEET, etc.... Not what the question is.

RED-DOG
11-29-2014, 12:16
I don't think it would help, but hey why don't you try it and find out. Report back later if it worked or not.

atmilkman
11-29-2014, 12:21
What is the active ingredient in a tick collar?

RangerZ
11-29-2014, 12:33
G
Last night I was waiting for sleep to come and was thinking. If you put a dog flea/tick collar on your pack, would it help to keep ticks away from you? I know putting it directly on your skin is bad, but would being near you on your pack help? Would it at least keep them from hitching a ride on your pack to crawl onto you later in camp?

Yes I know, wear long sleeves and pants, spray permethrin, check regularly, wear DEET, etc.... Not what the question is.

Used to put them around our ankles under our bloused fatigue pants. Never had any problems. (twitch, twitch)

atmilkman
11-29-2014, 12:51
G

Used to put them around our ankles under our bloused fatigue pants. Never had any problems. (twitch, twitch)
I was wondering why you keep doing that "thing" with your head.

NY HIKER 50
11-29-2014, 13:34
Just treat with permathrin (I hope I spelled it right). The reason I keep saying this is true: If they hitch a ride it's like opening a "Pandora's box" when you get home! I bet no one even thinks about this. Everything you picked up comes crawling out. I've ad this happen.

Wise Old Owl
11-29-2014, 14:01
There are two basic functions of flea (http://www.petcarerx.com/article/what-are-fleas/98) and tick (http://www.petcarerx.com/article/what-are-ticks/97) collars.

Repelling: One type emits a gas that repels pests.
Treating: The other type has medication that seeps into the fat layer on dogs’ skin or active ingredients that spread using the dog's natural skin oils. When the first type is used, a pest must bite the dog for the insecticide to kill them. The second type of treatment collars emit active ingredients that kill fleas and ticks on contact, before they bite.

Some collars serve just one of the above purposes. Others act as both a repellent and a treatment. Read the box carefully to be sure you’re getting what you need. Collars that don’t work to address existing pest problems will say things like “repels fleas” or “wards off pests.” Collars that do double duty will absolutely say “kills” somewhere on the box (Ex: “Kills fleas and their larvae”).

with the above information its not likely to work on a backpack -

lemon b
11-29-2014, 14:38
Anyone remember the old shell no pest strip. No longer on the market for good reason.

Havana
11-29-2014, 17:13
You're better of paying to get you clothes treated with permethrin.

http://www.insectshield.com/PDF/IS%20Your%20Own%20Clothes%20-%20U.S.%20form.pdf

burger
11-29-2014, 19:43
I've done loads of off-trail hiking in tick-infested places and have never seen a tick on my backpack. Ticks aren't interested in backpacks--don't worry about yours.

NY HIKER 50
11-29-2014, 20:37
I don't have to worry about Lyme or ticks any more. I had it (my doctor said I had it for over five years!) with no symptoms and now I'm told I'm immune. It was uncovered by accident during a routine check. Of course there's a lot more diseases still running around.

NY HIKER 50
11-29-2014, 20:38
I'm still sticking with the permethrin though.

Connie
11-30-2014, 16:41
Ticks have been known to fall off brush on you.

i have heard overhanging branches, in the Bitteroot Mountains. I do not know, if true.

I didn't know there was immunity...

shakey_snake
12-01-2014, 00:30
Some of the Hartz brand collars have been known to kill pets, I wouldn't even want to put one of those on my pack.

Don H
12-02-2014, 17:46
I don't have to worry about Lyme or ticks any more. I had it (my doctor said I had it for over five years!) with no symptoms and now I'm told I'm immune. It was uncovered by accident during a routine check. Of course there's a lot more diseases still running around.

There are some studies that show that when someone is infected with one of the strains of Lyme they may have some immunity to that particular strain for a limited time. However there are at least 16 different strains of Lyme out there and you can certainly be infected by a different strain Lyme even if you've had Lyme disease before. Kind of like a cold, when you get one you keep some immunity to the virus in your system for a while but there are over 200 different cold viruses so you could get one virus and then after you're over it you get another strain, your immunity doesn't protect you.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/04/140402110029.htm

I picked up Lyme in MA while thru-hiking in 2011. Knowledge and recognition of symptoms along with immediate treatment helped me.