PDA

View Full Version : Night Hiking??

Hawk i
11-29-2014, 22:50
I never hiked at night however I have a possible hike coming up next week at Pa section 6 starting at Rt 183 heading south that would require starting at night to camp 3 /12 miles in to get started for my weekend hike....Anyone do this before (night walks) have suggestions??

TNhiker
11-29-2014, 22:54
i did a trip to mount leconte a few years ago starting at 2 am.......went up to see the sun rise...

use headlamp......have a backup...

and dont let the facts that bats may be flying into your light and head freak ya out.........

MuddyWaters
11-29-2014, 23:08
Nothing to it.
But is 3.5 miles the night before really a necessity? Or could you start next morning and tack 3.5 miles on to that day?

Neither here nor there. Nothing to it, just follow trail.

Winter weather aside, of course. It can get deathly cold during winter at night sometimes. Icy as well.

Hawk i
11-30-2014, 01:09
Muddy, taking my brother out for his 1st shake down with new gear and want 2 nights out in woods. The problem is parking 2nd vehicle and entry point of the start with ample distance for Saturday. Thanks for your responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miner
11-30-2014, 02:11
I often end up doing some hiking at night or in the early morning before its light. When it's dark, you'll tend to hike slower so be aware it will take longer to hike the same distance compared to the daytime. You'll hear noises and your imagination will run wild if you aren't use to the dark. Just remember the same things out during the daytime are out there at night so if the daytime didn't scare you, don't worry about whats out there in the dark.

The problem with using a headlamp is the height of the light looking down will wash out the contrast with rocks, roots, and uneven ground. So you'll trip more often on things you didn't notice. Holding thelight down lower will cause anything that can trip you on the trail to cast a shadow and is more obvious so you won't stumble as often. You thus don't need the light on as bright of a setting. This is why I prefer to hike at night while holding my light in my hand. And yes, it means you can't use 2 trekking poles, so one is strapped to my pack. But I find that I stumble far less often compared to using a headlamp and the need for 2 poles is less in the first place. YMMV.

Traveler
11-30-2014, 07:35
I do a lot of night hiking in the winter months, especially during full moon phases. If there is snow on the ground, it can be fairly bright out during those conditions and may allow walking without having to use a headlamp much.

colorado_rob
11-30-2014, 09:19
The problem with using a headlamp is the height of the light looking down will wash out the contrast with rocks, roots, and uneven ground. So you'll trip more often on things you didn't notice. Holding thelight down lower will cause anything that can trip you on the trail to cast a shadow and is more obvious so you won't stumble as often.Yep, it's amazing how much more effective a headlamp is held down low because of the shadows cast on the trail. I actually use two headlamps when I do extensive night hiking; one on my head casting an overall (but shadowless) glow, the other in my hand to cast those shadows.

saltysack
11-30-2014, 09:59
With a good headlight its a blast! I night hike usually the first day out as I get to trail late after driving. Really like the zebra lights...light and brite!!

rafe
11-30-2014, 10:13
Does a headlight really help on steep, gnarly, rocky terrain? I ran out of light once on the Long Trail coming down off Camel's Hump, tried moving on by headlamp. Didn't feel safe. I really couldn't make enough forward progress to make it worthwhile. On an easy, smooth path or roadwalk, maybe. I'm not much of a night-hiker.

Hawk i
11-30-2014, 10:47
Thanks so much for the comments. I really appreciate the insight. I LOVE this WB forum however I rarely post questions.

Bronk
11-30-2014, 10:54
Be flexible and ready to stop if you get confused about which way to go. A couple of times I've come to an intersection or road crossing at night and it wasn't obvious in the dark which way to go or where the trail went back in the woods at a road crossing and I had to camp and look at it again in the daylight.

Kerosene
11-30-2014, 11:18
As Bronk implies, you will need to be a lot more careful making sure that you are going the right direction at unclear intersections. Take a bit more time and look for that blaze instead of just charging forward.

As Miner notes, you likely won't be able to walk as fast as you normally do. If you're normally a 2 mph hiker, figure on a 1.5 mph average to cover these 3.5 miles (2 hrs, 20 mins).

A recent windblown snowfall can obscure blazes on the trees as well as the footsteps of those who came before you. If it is snowing while you're hiking then your headlamp becomes pretty worthless as the snowflakes reflect the light back at you (think of trying to drive in a snowstorm with your high beams on). Combine that with a slower pace and easy-to-miss turns and it may take you a while to reach your destination, so be prepared to setup camp for the night if you get "temporarily confused". (I have experience with walking at night in snow and missing a turn, but I recovered quickly!)

Wintertime trail surfaces can be icy and slick if others have tramped down the snow ahead of you, which of course will slow you down even more. Then again, it is a lot easier to follow a packed down trail at night. If there isn't any snow on the ground, then I think you will be surprised at how apparent the trail route is, as all of the miscellaneous undergrowth has been cleared away and the soil packed down. Of course, once you get to a rock ledge then you have to be much more careful to follow blazes and cairns.

I'm certainly not a night-hiking pro, having done so only a handful of times over the years, but it is cool to experience. Better to do it with a hiking partner in my opinion.

saltysack
11-30-2014, 11:28
Does a headlight really help on steep, gnarly, rocky terrain? I ran out of light once on the Long Trail coming down off Camel's Hump, tried moving on by headlamp. Didn't feel safe. I really couldn't make enough forward progress to make it worthwhile. On an easy, smooth path or roadwalk, maybe. I'm not much of a night-hiker.

I only hike the AT in the south....works for me...

Just Bill
11-30-2014, 12:05
I like to keep a flood style headlamp on my waistbelt or sternum strap. This is typically my main light to shine on the trail and is aimed a few feet in front of me, not at my feet directly.

Using a head mounted lamp makes the beam cross your eyes and greatly reduces your night vision. I think avoiding using a headlamp on you head is a huge help.

I carry a small handheld flashlight to spotlight tricky sections or to search for blazes or trail markings. This is switched on when needed.

In bad areas I do use a headlamp for this purpose- but again the beam is up, not pointed down across my eyes. I also typically wear a visor of some sort which preserves my night vision. But this keeps your hands free in places like VT. To a certain extent though- when you are talking places that hikers struggle on even in full sun on a good nights sleep- it will be trick if not silly to walk some of these trails at night.

upstream
11-30-2014, 12:14
If it's next weekend, 12/6/2014, you'll have a full moon rising just after sunset. Try hiking without a light, that can be fun if it isn't a rough section.

The Solemates
11-30-2014, 12:18
Just had to do about 3 hrs of night hiking along PAs mid st trail this week. Sometimes I am ok with this but didn't particularly like it this time. I only like doing it on well marked easy to follow trails.

Hawk i
11-30-2014, 17:12
You guys are GREAT!!! Thanks

Malto
11-30-2014, 21:41
If I know I am doing many hours of night hiking I will carry two headlamps, one on my head and one on my hipbelt. It makes a huge difference. I live in PA and last December I did a night trail run in the snow on an evening with a full moon. No headlamp was needed and it was some of my favorite miles ever. in your situation you will be fresh and the 3.5 miles will fly. fight hike can be a chore when it is at the end of a long day and your mentally tired.

One more suggestion, just pay attention to where your at, distance will be tough to gauge because your pace will be off. have fun.

Malto
11-30-2014, 21:41
You guys are GREAT!!! Thanks

By by the way, we're neighbors. I'm in Hershey.

Shutterbug
11-30-2014, 21:57
I never hiked at night however I have a possible hike coming up next week at Pa section 6 starting at Rt 183 heading south that would require starting at night to camp 3 /12 miles in to get started for my weekend hike....Anyone do this before (night walks) have suggestions??

Night hiking can be a lot of fun. I particularly enjoy the sounds at night. You hear things during the night that you won't hear during the day time.

I particularly enjoy the time just before sunrise. The birds start singing just as the first light appears in the east. More and more join the singing as it gets lighter. The singing reaches a peak just as it gets light enough to turn your light off.

Have fun.

swjohnsey
11-30-2014, 22:50
Rangers "hike" at night all the time. We don't need headlamps. Not many birds on the AT.

RangerZ
11-30-2014, 23:02
By by the way, we're neighbors. I'm in Hershey.

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Lititz, PA. The round chocolate bars in 1970's era MCIs were made there. They were packed with the crackers. in a B-1 unit.

July
11-30-2014, 23:24
Rangers "hike" at night all the time. We don't need headlamps. Not many birds on the AT.

We just follow the cat eye on the back of your head.

CrumbSnatcher
11-30-2014, 23:28
my hiking partner was a big black fury dog, we hiked in the shadows as much as possible,very early mornings & evening hikes too. she could over heat if we didn't pay close attention, we enjoyed the cool weather of night hiking,we hiked 100's of miles hiking at night, with her it was fun, without her not so much in the dark, she would alarm me even if a squirrel farted in the distance, i felt safer with her around night hiking and she didn't heat up nearly as much, fun times!

July
11-30-2014, 23:43
my hiking partner was a big black fury dog, we hiked in the shadows as much as possible,very early mornings & evening hikes too. she could over heat if we didn't pay close attention, we enjoyed the cool weather of night hiking,we hiked 100's of miles hiking at night, with her it was fun, without her not so much in the dark, she would alarm me even if a squirrel farted in the distance, i felt safer with her around night hiking and she didn't heat up nearly as much, fun times!

Dogs akin to Wolves, tend to be nocturnal in Nature. They like to sleep during the day, and hunt at night. Must be some long ago neurological wiring.

MuddyWaters
12-01-2014, 01:27
Be flexible and ready to stop if you get confused about which way to go. A couple of times I've come to an intersection or road crossing at night and it wasn't obvious in the dark which way to go or where the trail went back in the woods at a road crossing and I had to camp and look at it again in the daylight.

Yep. I got to a road one morning about 45 min before light. Walked out of woods, went one way, then other looking for blazes on other side. None found. Went farther, 100 yds each way, nothing. Got pissed and looked at map, it showed trail very close to directly across from where i came out, just little to left. Walked down road again, nothing. Sat and waited for it to get light. Walked up and down road again, nothing. Pretty bewildered at this point.

Crossed road and looked close, there was the trail exactly where it was supposed to be. No blazes. Trail went up hill parallel to the road thru high weeds, unless were looking down the trail couldnt see it. Looking straight at hillside from the road it was not visible.

gwb
12-01-2014, 12:01
I live in the Lititz area and know that section very well. It is the first spot I hiked on the AT, some 1900 miles later. That would be a pretty easy section to try hiking at night for the first time. Only turn is shortly after the trailhead at a small monument, headstone looking thing. 3.5 miles puts you in the Shuperts Gap where there are plenty of campsites. Some are right on the trail. Some are to your left 1/8 mi. down the blue blazed trail around the old power dam. Pm me if you have any specific questions on that area. Have fun!

Hawk i
12-01-2014, 21:27
I live in the Lititz area and know that section very well. It is the first spot I hiked on the AT, some 1900 miles later. That would be a pretty easy section to try hiking at night for the first time. Only turn is shortly after the trailhead at a small monument, headstone looking thing. 3.5 miles puts you in the Shuperts Gap where there are plenty of campsites. Some are right on the trail. Some are to your left 1/8 mi. down the blue blazed trail around the old power dam. Pm me if you have any specific questions on that area. Have fun!

thanks for imput

earlyriser26
12-02-2014, 09:00
Just did a hike near 501 last week. Heading South from 183 is fairly easy. Campsite in Shuberts gap with water. I love night hiking in winter (no bugs attracted by headlamp).