PDA

View Full Version : Ultralight Backpacking Store in NYC Area??

nightbirdsing
11-30-2014, 03:38
Hello everyone! I am planning a thru-hike for 2015 and want to find places to check out ultralight gear within a few hours of the New York City area. Does anyone have suggestions? I know REI has a few things, but am looking for a place that would have gear from a greater selection of UL retailers (i.e., Gossamer Gear, Hyperlite Mountain Gear, etc.), and ideally specializes or is known for carrying a good selection of ultralight gear.

Does anyone have suggestions? Any help is greatly appreciated! If you have 2-3 stores you recommend checking out, so much the better. I just want to find places where I can check out multiple UL options for tents, packs, and sleeping bags, rather than having to buy online sight unseen.

Thanks so much in advance!!
Julia

takethisbread
11-30-2014, 07:43
I'm not sure in a retail setting u are going to find much UL gear. Campmor, of course, is in Piscataway, NJ I think, and they have a big store, and great deals, but you are probably looking for something to be bought in an online store most frequently. I haven't seen a storefront with a great selection of UL gear, bc frankly it's a niche market. ULA I see in a lot of outfitters along the AT, if that interests u

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offshore
11-30-2014, 08:40
Campmor's retail store is in Paramus, NJ and due to blue laws, is closed on Sundays. (Getting around that area is a traffic nightmare - you're better off ordering online. You'll also skip the sales tax when shipping to NY.) While not UL specific, you may find some stuff at Paragon (18th and Broadway) or even REI (Puck Building on Lafayette in Nolita)

gsingjane
11-30-2014, 09:03
Hi Julia, it's been a while since I've been there, but I wonder if you've checked out Tents & Trails in lower Manhattan (on Park Place near City Hall). It's kind of an old-school camping store with a big bunch of stuff all packed in to a tiny space... other than that, I'm not going to recommend EMS or REI, UL backpacking isn't really their deal.

Jane

Dogwood
11-30-2014, 13:47
I hear you. Pure brick and mortar UL backpacking retail outlets with large selections of all the types of pieces you are seeking don't exist IMO. At least I haven't found one UL brick and mortar store I can find all I want or desire. The more extreme UL(GG, HMG, MLD, SMD, ULA, ZP, etc) even more so. Don't believe that everything marketed as UL is UL. Don't get so anal rentitive hung up on all gear having to be UL either!

I'm going to get some flack from the XUL gram weenies but here goes. You could check out the light wt/some UL gear at Tents and Trails from Western Mountaineering/Valandre/Mountain Hardware(such as traditional but IMO still light/UL sleeping bags, also MH and WM down apparel), Wescomb apparel, Cascade Designs(MSR stoves, Inflatable(Thermarest)/CCF pads, Platypus water reservoirs), Sea to Summit(stuff sacks, sleeping bags, liners etc), Granite Gear(backpacks, stuff sacks), TNF apparel(heck, as a ULer, I just bought a 55% off last yr's model Thermoball synthetic vest, I consider it UL for a vest w/ some good properties/features), Patagonia(Houdini for example), Solomon trail runners, etc. Notice $ wasn't mentioned much. That's a whole other UL issue.

Connie
11-30-2014, 14:20
I have a no ads website about UL and lightweight gear.

I haven't updated links, in the Products section (the most time-consuming). I think the PC RAM is on the fritz. Either that, or the video card is failing. I sent for an embedded system for backup, from eBay. Then, I will fool around with the PC until I get it right.

Anyway.

I have a 40-liter backpack with everything I need for 20 F utilizing lightweight gear. I have few UL items, like cookware and the stove, however, that said, I think the sleeping system weight and volume is critical to achieve that.

I have Hammock Gear Burrow 20 top quilt and NeoAir XTherm, plus Borah Gear side-zip bivy ordered. I will order an Oware Asym 1 tarp. He says it is the CatTarp1 turned around. I don't know that. I only know it is no "pup tent". It is a glorious catenary cut tarp. But, don't listen to me. Go with experience.

I am just now getting this "outfit" together.

That said, all items I list at my website are UL or lightweight. I will try to get the links updated.

Connie
11-30-2014, 14:35
If someone got together a brick and mortar UL and lightweight gear store, wouldn't that be glorious!

To avoid high inventory costing, by selling as many items on consignment as possible. For the most part, have something to see to touch or to try on, then, order for the customer. Have a special rate for delivery, and, offer free delivery.

I read sleeping bag descriptions. But handling sleeping bags hanging in the store tells me what I need to know. Then, only then, I rely on end-users comments in forums. But when I finally got UL, I am glad I did. I made that decision, based on reading and reading in the forums.

I think an excellent UL and lightweight gear store would need one example each of the most frequently end-user praised model sleeping systems and insulation pads or air mats, bivys, and, tarps and tents set up and on display, and, backpacks.

Have "hang tag" accessories like water filtration and third-party items for adaption. Have maps, map cases, and software.

Have great examples of "the small stuff" for pockets, etal. in a glass counter top.

Have a long bench with stacks of catalogues.

Have an online computer. Have a coffeeshop like B. Dalton, or even better, have scones.

Nirvana!

Lyle
11-30-2014, 15:16
I think one of the biggest obstacles to brick and mortar UL stores is that most UL companies are cottage manufacturers who sometimes have a difficult time keeping up with word-of-mouth sales. Stocking a B&M and the additional sales that would bring would push them beyond their abilities to continue with the personal service most offer now. Plus, most B&M don't want to deal with the hassles of returns on UL gear, they want bombproof gear to sell to the inexperienced buyers.

Greatly increased sales, and the need for bombproof durability would change the gear and the service.

Be careful what you wish for.

Connie
11-30-2014, 15:30
I have seen "cottage industry" products stores at resorts, like Quest, at Sausalito, CA.

The stores like that are specialty stores. This is not mass production.

I was just now looking at Trek and Trail, in NYC.

What if a successful store had a store, near, or one floor like I describe?

Dogwood
11-30-2014, 16:21
Have an online computer. Have a coffeeshop like B. Dalton, or even better, have scones. - with decent selection of truly UL gear, informed UL knowledgable gear staff who live it rather than just sell it, and they(I) would have the lights turned out on them(me).

I hear you Lyle.

Connie
11-30-2014, 16:33
How many coffee shops, alone, pay their bills?

I know know where you live, but the a coffee shop I described pays building rent, employees and the owner.

Dogwood
11-30-2014, 16:41
On occasion, like when in Bozman, I've grabbed a Joe at the co-op and headed over to ProLite. That's about as close as I've gotten, without actually visiting individual UL cottage manufacturers on site, to this type of UL atmosphere you describe Connie. I like the way you're thinking though. :)

nightbirdsing
11-30-2014, 20:08
Thank you everyone for this advice! I will stop at REI, Paragon, and especially Tents & Trails to start the process.

I have a follow-up question to help with my online research since it looks like a lot of this needs to happen online...

What are your top two UL suggestions for packs, and what are a few reasons they are your top two?

Connie
11-30-2014, 20:22
ZPacks Arc Blast allows you to select features: I like the carbon frame that keeps the surface of the backpack off your back helping to avoid sweat. I like a roll-down top loader. There is a lot to like. I would select the 45-liter, with the mesh back panel and the side compression cords.

The hybrid cuben looks good.

Maybe someone can tell you how well the fabric stands up to abrasion.

In general, UL gear is rather gently handled.

I would like to hear from someone who has an Arc Blast.

http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/arc_blast.shtml

I do not have a "second choice" for UL backpack.

I like the features selection best, on the Arc Blast.

I will say, right now, my lightweight backpack is a Timbuk2 Tres Especial 2014.

I need rough and tough for off trail, next season. I need waterproof. I think I will have a LightHeart gear hood, to cover the top and straps, as well. I will add a mesh back panel, if I have to make it myself.

CalebJ
11-30-2014, 22:31
I wish MLD would put together a showroom. It's probably something they've considered and decided against, but it sure would be convenient to go check out their gear up close (especially when I live in the same town).