PDA

View Full Version : FS500 to Pine Glen

Matt65
11-30-2014, 12:23
Made an overnight Black Friday hike this weekend. Ate Turkey and Dressing on the trail. The trail was in great condition, shelter looked great, with broom available. Love the picnic table. John Calhoun's Log book from March was still in place. The lay of the land and creek flow around the shelter make it one of my favorite. Wood availability was low in the immediate area with a few trees victim to an axe and saw. Rail and jet traffic were fairly consistent through the night. Water was readily available throughout the section.

The hunters were in full force. The Game Warden had a road block set up to check permits. We jumped several deer at different points along the trail, 1 wounded from a hunter. As we aproached Highrock Lake we walked up on a hunter with his butt literally in the middle of the trail. Spoke to him briefly, nice guy. Hunters do use the Pinhoti to travel, but do not seem to expect hikers coming through. Wear your orange, talk continuously among the group. If solo wear a bear bell / whistle to let yourself be known.

Pictures to come.

Matt65
11-30-2014, 12:45
Images below.

blisterbob
12-01-2014, 07:31
Nice photos, thanks for posting.
That is my favorite Pinhoti shelter as well,
and your trail food looks much better than my menu.

dhagan
12-01-2014, 16:20
Hey Bob...is it against the rules to hang inside the shelter?

blisterbob
12-01-2014, 17:35
It is in the GSMNP,
I have hung in shelters in the GSMNP when there were only 2 other hikers
and no one complained.
As a matter of courtesy to other hikers on the Pinhoti, officially, I don't think I have
seen or heard one way or the other.
My wife & I had ours hung in the Lower Shoal shelter when a thru hiker came in after dark.
We offered to move outside but he insisted we stay and he slept on one end.
I like staying near shelters for the table and usually they are near water.

dhagan
12-02-2014, 11:14
Thanks! I dont really plan on using the shelters to hang in, but you never know. Dont want to break the rules...

JBEN
12-03-2014, 08:53
Great Report....Nice Pics... That shelter is my favorite too. I think its something about the surrounding setting that makes it peaceful...

Matt65
12-05-2014, 20:21
Pano from Shelter