PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness Trout

WLLLC
11-30-2014, 13:33
Managed two journeys to wilderness areas this year--mid July and early Sept, for float tubing. Sept. trip was the best fishing of the two--nice rainbows, cutbows, and a few cutthroats on lakes at 8,500 feet about 10 miles from the trailhead. Fished exclusively from float tubes.

Nymphs and dries were both productive--in particular a bead head muddler, and a dark brown and orange version of a humpy that we tie to match large flying ants common on these waters. This nice cutt took a size 12 bead head prince in shallow water over structure in a small lake that still had snow melt running into it on Sept 10. Water temperature was mid 50's.

Dogwood
11-30-2014, 13:51
OK great. Where did you go?

Damn Yankee
11-30-2014, 21:17
Wonderful fish. Nothing like wild pan-fried fish while camping. I wish I had brought my fly rod with me to the High Sierras a few months ago, lakes were great and the fish plentiful. All I could do is watch them rise.

Dogwood
11-30-2014, 23:38
Many of the Brookies in the Sierras aren't large but they can be plentiful, easy to catch(I'd guess most have never seen an artificial lure), and they are so tasty with a NATURAL salmon like color flesh.

Maui Rhino
12-01-2014, 03:42
Nice fish. Makes me miss the tasty fresh Sierra trout I enjoyed a few months ago. None of that size though. Wrapped in foil with some ghee, Mrs Dash, and Hawaiian sea salt....yum!!!