PDA

View Full Version : Va to Pa Hike

Hang R
11-30-2014, 17:42
I am looking to hike from Va to PennMar park over New Years. I am thinking of leaving 12/31 and finishing up 1/2. I am curious on what I could expect on what water would be available in that section during that time of the year. Is there anything to watch out for over New Years along this section?

QHShowoman
11-30-2014, 18:07
Where in VA are you starting? It's about 40 miles from Harpers Ferry, WV to PenMar.

Water will depend on the weather, but I would imagine that Crampton Gap will be dry and Ensign Cowall will be dry unless we get some heavy rain between now and then.

You will probably have the trail mostly to yourself unless it's unseasonably warm out.

JeffBliss
11-30-2014, 18:26
If you do the Maryland stretch and start from Harpers Ferry, you're in for arguably the easiest stretch on the entire trail. There is a minor uphill 3 miles out of Harpers Ferry and some annoying rocks in the latter half of Maryland but overall a very comfortable and fun stretch. I highly recommend reading up on all of the Civil War History as you pass through this wonderful part of the trail.

JeffBliss
11-30-2014, 18:28
Oh and as for water, I know there is a backpackers campsite that has running water along with Penmar itself (which I guess isn't that big of a deal but at least you know you have something if desperately low coming into the park.) Although I'm not sure what the status of the running water is in the Winter.

Hang R
11-30-2014, 18:53
Oh and as for water, I know there is a backpackers campsite that has running water along with Penmar itself (which I guess isn't that big of a deal but at least you know you have something if desperately low coming into the park.) Although I'm not sure what the status of the running water is in the Winter.

I will look into the water at the backpackers campsite. I am pretty sure the water at PenMar park is shut down during the winter months. I will have water waiting for me at the car at the park.

If you do the Maryland stretch and start from Harpers Ferry, you're in for arguably the easiest stretch on the entire trail. There is a minor uphill 3 miles out of Harpers Ferry and some annoying rocks in the latter half of Maryland but overall a very comfortable and fun stretch. I highly recommend reading up on all of the Civil War History as you pass through this wonderful part of the trail.

From looking at the profile map this section does seem easier than most sections. I do look forward to seeing some of the historical sights in this section.

Where in VA are you starting? It's about 40 miles from Harpers Ferry, WV to PenMar.

Water will depend on the weather, but I would imagine that Crampton Gap will be dry and Ensign Cowall will be dry unless we get some heavy rain between now and then.

You will probably have the trail mostly to yourself unless it's unseasonably warm out.

Thannks for the heads up about Campton Gap and Ensign Cowall. I figured that the trail would not have too many people on it during the winter months but I was not sure if there were any groups that go out for New Years.

Hang R
12-01-2014, 05:18

Sorry that I missed this question last night. I have not fully determined where I will start at yet. I probably will not determine that until the week of the hike and it will largely depend on the predicted weather conditions. I am open to suggestions though.

survivalisthiker
12-04-2014, 02:11
You will reach gathland state park which has running water and bathrooms, and then later on you will walk across dalghren campground which has showers,bathrooms, and running water. Other than that I don't know any other places with deficit running water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hang R
12-04-2014, 06:31
You will reach gathland state park which has running water and bathrooms, and then later on you will walk across dalghren campground which has showers,bathrooms, and running water. Other than that I don't know any other places with deficit running water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the information. I will add these to my notes. Looks like I will be carrying more than 1 L of water on stretches.

Studlintsean
12-04-2014, 09:00
I hiked part if the Maryland section last Feb and had no issues with water. Ensign Cowell had plenty of water but bring a filter or a scoop as it is a ground spring.

Coffee
12-04-2014, 09:55
Gathland State Park has a frost free hydrant that appeared to be on year-round when I went through in April. Be sure to bring water from Harpers Ferry if camping at the Garvey shelter since it is a long and steep walk down to the spring and I'm not sure if it runs year-round (it was very strong in April). I do not recall whether Dahlgren has a frost free hydrant or not, but there is a nearby restaurant where I suspect you could obtain water and there is a bath house at the campground that probably has running water.

QHShowoman
12-04-2014, 13:02
Dahlgren has a pump similar to the one at Gathland, but I don't know if it's frost-free. There are also stream crossings that should have water along the way, like at Warner Gap Rd. And Rocky Run has a great stream/spring.

Demeter
12-06-2014, 06:24
Washington Monument State Park has a water spigot and bathrooms. Reliable water at Annapolis Rocks and Pogo campsite

Hang R
12-06-2014, 07:30
I hiked part if the Maryland section last Feb and had no issues with water. Ensign Cowell had plenty of water but bring a filter or a scoop as it is a ground spring.

Gathland State Park has a frost free hydrant that appeared to be on year-round when I went through in April. Be sure to bring water from Harpers Ferry if camping at the Garvey shelter since it is a long and steep walk down to the spring and I'm not sure if it runs year-round (it was very strong in April). I do not recall whether Dahlgren has a frost free hydrant or not, but there is a nearby restaurant where I suspect you could obtain water and there is a bath house at the campground that probably has running water.

Dahlgren has a pump similar to the one at Gathland, but I don't know if it's frost-free. There are also stream crossings that should have water along the way, like at Warner Gap Rd. And Rocky Run has a great stream/spring.

Washington Monument State Park has a water spigot and bathrooms. Reliable water at Annapolis Rocks and Pogo campsite

Thanks for the info. It looks like there will be some good options. You just never know this time of the year.

Kolo
12-06-2014, 23:09
I'll be doing some day hikes in Md during December and will report what I run across. If I end up at Gathland, which I think I will, I will check on the hydrant if I can find it. I know where the bathrooms are, but I don't recall seeing a hydrant the last time I was there. But then again, I wasn't looking for one.

Studlintsean
12-06-2014, 23:13
I'll be doing some day hikes in Md during December and will report what I run across. If I end up at Gathland, which I think I will, I will check on the hydrant if I can find it. I know where the bathrooms are, but I don't recall seeing a hydrant the last time I was there. But then again, I wasn't looking for one.

It is right outside the parking lot. If I remember right there was a shelter of some sort right next to it.

Kolo
12-06-2014, 23:21
It is right outside the parking lot. If I remember right there was a shelter of some sort right next to it.

I recall some type of structure near the parking lot. I'll check it out.

Kolo
12-07-2014, 19:15

I was at Gathland this a.m. and hiked SOBO to Weaverton. The bathrooms are closed for the season, but the water spout is working like a charm. So, there be water in them hills. I'll be north of I70 sometime later this month and will report what I find.

Kolo
12-14-2014, 19:57
I was at Gathland this a.m. and hiked SOBO to Weaverton. The bathrooms are closed for the season, but the water spout is working like a charm. So, there be water in them hills. I'll be north of I70 sometime later this month and will report what I find.

As of today, there is plenty of water at rt 491 6 miles south of Pen Mar. The stream at the road is running and there is water coming out of the rocks at Raven Rocks. On a side note, Raven Rock Shelter is really nice and clean. I didn't check for water there.

Hang R
12-15-2014, 09:10
Thanks for the updated info Kolo. I appreciate you letting me know about the water in this section.