PDA

View Full Version : Microspikes with trail runners?

saltysack
12-01-2014, 13:27
I see backcountry.com has microspikes for $50.00....I'm tired of busting my arse every winter on my hikes. I only get to hike a few times a year during the winter and have not used spikes but after a few miles of solid ice on a Roan Mtn section hike last February....I'm ready to try...I wear lasportiva Wildcats...anyone use with a similar trail runner? Thoughts??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peakbagger
12-01-2014, 16:12
I have used microspikes on my new balance trail runners occasionally in the "spring" doing hikes up to Tuckermans Ravine in NH. The snow is boilerplate walking up to the ravine so traction is real handy. I also do a lot of winter hiking in the whites and in my opinion how well they work is directly dependent on fit. Unfortunately three sizes do not fit "all") If they are fit properly to the boot the rubber rand is up above the sole and the chains are fairly snug against the sole. If they are too large, the chains hang down and they tend to wear out quicker plus its real easy to them kick off without noticing. The rand is a big rubber band and could exert some pressure on the sides of the trail runners. If too tight they could try to curl the shoes. I would not use them without a Velcro strap running from the rand and up over the top of the foot. That keeps them from sliding down and having the chains hang and also they cant slip off.

Hillsound makes a very similar product for roughly the same price. They include the Velcro strap and a storage bag. They do have slightly more aggressively crampon plate that might catch if someone doesn't lift their feet. It makes for far better traction on wet ice. I inadvertently did a winter hike up Washington over to Jefferson and back down one in March which was definitely pushing their capabilities (should have had Crampons). I also think the Hillsounds are bit better constructed. Kahtoolas use crimped loops on the chains while Hillsound used welded.

Both companies offer great warrany service if you damage them. My observations are rarely do they fail if fit properly but if they are lose, the Kahtoola seem to tear the chain hole on the rubber rand.

They usually can be found on sale for the next few weeks. Amazon has them for $53.95 so the backcountry deal isn't that great.

burger
12-01-2014, 16:12
Microspikes should work fine with any trail runner.

QiWiz
12-01-2014, 17:52
Microspikes should work fine with any trail runner.

+1

Have used them routinely with trail runners - no problem. Need the right size, though. What works for big honkin' ice-fishing boots may be too big for your trail runners. ; )

rocketsocks
12-01-2014, 18:01
I like the hill sounds better than the katoohlas.