PDA

View Full Version : Microspikes with trail runners?

saltysack
12-01-2014, 13:32
I see backcountry.com has microspikes for $50.00....I'm tired of busting my arse every winter on my hikes. I only get to hike a few times a year during the winter and have not used spikes but after a few miles of solid ice on a Roan Mtn section hike last February....I'm ready to try...I wear lasportiva Wildcats...anyone use with a similar trail runner? Thoughts??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colorado_rob
12-01-2014, 13:43
I use microspikes with trail runners a lot, work fine. Not sure any brand of trail runners would be any different (I wear New Balance).

QHShowoman
12-01-2014, 14:01
Ditto what colorado_rob said. I wear mine with Salomon trail runners with no problem.

Just Bill
12-01-2014, 14:09
These do a decent job if you don't need them often- $25
http://www.amazon.com/Yaktrax-Traction-Cleats-Black-Medium/dp/B0094GO6ZG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1417457117&sr=8-4&keywords=kahtoola+microspikes

The Kahtoola are very popular and closer to the $50 mark.

You can also just put in the short shank hex head screws if that will be enough- a box of 50 is plenty and runs a few bucks at the hardware store- elbow grease sold separately. :)

Just Bill
12-01-2014, 14:22
Review just popped in latest TrailGroove-

http://www.trailgroove.com/issue19.html?autoflip=91

hikernutcasey
12-01-2014, 14:38
I just used my new microspikes this past weekend and I LOVED them! I have Wildcats like you and they fit great. Just buy them, you won't be disappointed.

Traveler
12-01-2014, 14:46
I've never had much luck with the Trac-Yaks in trail use, though they work fine in light use. I would think Microspikes are likely to be uncomfortable in trail runners with the pressure points, but perhaps thats mitigated with heavier socks or inserts.

Stabilicers may be a good middle ground between the Trac-Yaks and Microspikes. Have you looked at the new Stabilicers? They look like they would be more comfortable and stable for running. Would something like these work?

STABILICERS Walk Traction Device - Eastern Mountain Sports (http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=42272906&cp=3677336.12811708.3690027)

colorado_rob
12-01-2014, 14:46
By the way, yak trax work too, but they are much less durable, both mine and my wife's broke after a few hikes, Katoola microspikes appear to be much more durable, we've both had a pair for a number of years now, still going strong.

bamboo bob
12-01-2014, 15:53
Yak Traks are not for anything but clearing the walkway or walking to the mailbox. My wife and I tried to use them on hikes but they broke way too easily. Microspikes are great. Used them on the PCT and would use them again.

rocketsocks
12-01-2014, 18:04
I like yak tracks better than nothin.

1azarus
12-01-2014, 19:09
I've never had much luck with the Trac-Yaks in trail use, though they work fine in light use. I would think Microspikes are likely to be uncomfortable in trail runners with the pressure points, but perhaps thats mitigated with heavier socks or inserts.

Stabilicers may be a good middle ground between the Trac-Yaks and Microspikes. Have you looked at the new Stabilicers? They look like they would be more comfortable and stable for running. Would something like these work?

STABILICERS Walk Traction Device - Eastern Mountain Sports (http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=42272906&cp=3677336.12811708.3690027)

won't comment on the stabilizers, but will say that the micro spikes are perfectly comfortable with trail runners.

Malto
12-01-2014, 20:38
I hiked hundreds on miles with microspikes on Wildcats. They work fine with a couple of cautions. The microspikes will twist if doing a good deal of side hiking. Also, in fresh snow I would wear a grocery bag over the toe to keep fresh snow from collecting in the two mesh. It can form ice balls and put pressure on your toes. (I have some great pictures to show the results. net, with these limitations I still wear both today on icy trips.

Another Kevin
12-02-2014, 09:03
Up North here, I live in microspikes in the winter. I just got a new pair this year, because I was kind of running out of metal on the old ones. The old ones had hundreds of miles of icy pavement under them, and you can only resharpen them so many times!

They work fine with trail runners. I don't necessarily switch to boots until I'm carrying snowshoes and crampons. My crampon bindings do NOT work with trail runners, and neither do the heel lifts on my snowshoes.

luap
12-27-2014, 03:51
Does anyone think its good to have microspikes for the beginning of my Thru?

Northbound starting 2nd of March.

Im paranoid about slipping on Icy trails

Black Wolf
12-27-2014, 10:46
http://hillsound.com/hillsound-product/trail-crampon/ .... i like these the best .. rugged ..the Velcro strap across the top makes them easy on and off .. and adjustable for different shoes .. to a degree .. or while in use .. YMMV

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
12-27-2014, 10:58
Does anyone think its good to have microspikes for the beginning of my Thru?

Northbound starting 2nd of March.

Im paranoid about slipping on Icy trails

Planning to start March 9th and planning to carry a pair. Of course, I am planning to mail them home as soon as the main risk of ice is over and then maybe have them mailed back later, when I get further up into New England. Don't know if that option is open to you. Perhaps a cheaper pair that you wouldn't mind leaving in a hiker box after the main risk has passed?? I'm paranoid about slipping as well.

Don H
12-27-2014, 11:07
I'd consider carrying Microspikes only in the Smokeys if I was leaving Springer before early March.
You won't need them up north unless you get there really late.

I had snow and ice north of Newfound Gap for a few days in 2011 but didn't really need spikes.

TJ aka Teej
12-27-2014, 16:52
Wear gaitors with that set up and you'll be fine.

redseal
12-30-2014, 19:04
I use Kahtoola microspikes with La Sportiva Wildcats and C-lites. Works like a charm!

saltysack
12-30-2014, 19:14
I use Kahtoola microspikes with La Sportiva Wildcats and C-lites. Works like a charm!

Thx...what r c lites?

redseal
12-30-2014, 19:29
Thx...what r c lites?

C-lites are another La Sportiva trail runner. Slightly less rugged compared to the Wildcats but they have an aggressive tread. I use the Wildcats when I have a backpack and the C-lites when I do not.

saltysack
12-30-2014, 19:31
Thx