PDA

View Full Version : Need Section Hike Suggestions near Hanover NH

Odd Man Out
12-01-2014, 20:30
I'm researching summer section hike options around Hanover NH (friend will be going to grad school there so I will have a good excuse to visit). I was looking at about 40 miles in either direction and came up with US4/Killington to Hanover on one side or NH25/Glencliff to Hanover in the other. It looks like the logistics are better on the VT side with multiple transportation options to Rutland. Otherwise, what are these sections like? How do they compare? Thanks for your suggestions/advice.

Another Kevin
12-02-2014, 09:24
They're both pretty. You won't be disappointed.

If you're up in Glencliff, climb Moosilauke, particularly if you haven't done an above-treeline hike in New England before. (Weather permitting, of course!)

I'm Dartmouth alumnus, and Moosilauke to Hanover is one of my favourite stretches of trail anywhere. It's not as punishing as the Presidentials, although it doesn't have the non-stop views. It has enough up and down to be interesting. Mount Cube is kind of fun. Smarts Mountain has a gorgeous view from the fire tower. Holts Ledge has a nice overlook, too, down the Skiway. Moose Mountain is cool and green and ... well ok, it's a PUD.

I'm always amused by DOC's whimsical signage.

The Vermont side has more of a "walk in the woods" feel to it. It can be very muddy, and views are scarce. But it's a pretty woods to walk in. I like lower-elevation hiking, too, but many of my hiking friends are view junkies. Come to think of it, Vermont is like some of the hikes on the UP - if you're a Michigander, you'll probably know what I'm talking about.

If your friend is in DOC, have him/her ask around. You might be able to thumb a ride with someone going to the Ravine Lodge. From the Lodge to join the AT is just a couple of miles (and 2400 feet of elevation gain!) up the Gorge Brook trail.

JeffBliss
12-02-2014, 09:31
Killington, VT to Hanover:

This stretch looks easy on paper, but it is actually deceptively roller coaster like. I know this because I made the silly mistake of doing my only marathon on the trail during this stretch. I think I ended up doing like 5600 feet of elevation gain and ascended/descended over twenty times in a 27.5 mile stretch.

With that said though, it isn't a hard stretch, just unfortunately not particularly rewarding. You'll be treated to a beautiful view at the lookout cabin about 15 miles (I'm doing this from memory so I'm sorry if I'm wrong) from the road to Killington but that's really about it. The rest is pretty heavily green tunneled.

Glencliff to Hanover:

This section will also be a difficult one because of Mt. Cube and Smarts. But, I personally believe this will be the much more rewarding section for you. Cube has double summits and if you have the time, I highly recommend taking the blue blaze to the other summit. Even if you decide to avoid that summit, you'll still be treated with glorious ridge walks that are highly reminiscent of what the Kinsman Range offers in the Whites. Smarts has a derelict fire tower up top and an old fire wardens cabin turned into a shelter. After Smarts you'll have a great vista at Holts Ledge and to end it all you'll be treated to a good view on Moose Mountain before finishing up your walk into Hanover.

Overall, I would recommend doing Glencliff to Hanover for the scenery. Both sections are difficult in overall terms of the trail but I think your payoff will be better doing the Glencliff section.

burger
12-02-2014, 11:17
I vote for Hanover to Glencliff. I did this as a section hike in 48 hours a few years back. There's a lot of steep climbing, so make sure you're in shape.

If you go that route, I'd suggest hiking NOBO. There are views here and there the whole way, but Smarts and Cube are the best, and if I were hiking it again, I'd want to save them for the end (or near the end anyway). You can easily get a shuttle back to Hanover from the hostel in Glencliff.

Odd Man Out
12-02-2014, 11:20
They're both pretty. You won't be disappointed.

If you're up in Glencliff, climb Moosilauke, particularly if you haven't done an above-treeline hike in New England before. (Weather permitting, of course!)

I heard there was hostel up there that would shuttle so you could slackpack Moosilauke.

BTW, can I have a pronunciation tip on that? I'm guessing MOOSE uh LOCK ee?

Odd Man Out
12-02-2014, 11:22
I vote for Hanover to Glencliff. I did this as a section hike in 48 hours a few years back. There's a lot of steep climbing, so make sure you're in shape.

Well that's the problem. I'm definitely not in shape, but then I wouldn't do it in 48 hrs either.

rafe
12-02-2014, 11:25
I heard there was hostel up there that would shuttle so you could slackpack Moosilauke.

BTW, can I have a pronunciation tip on that? I'm guessing MOOSE uh LOCK ee?

It's the "Hikers Welcome" hostel on Rte. 25, 0.2 miles from the trailhead. They'll shuttle to NH Rte. 112 and back, I used their services this summer.

burger
12-02-2014, 11:37
Well that's the problem. I'm definitely not in shape, but then I wouldn't do it in 48 hrs either.Whether you do the VT or the NH section around
Hanover, there is a ton of steep climbing that you need to be prepared for. Personally, if I wasn't in good shape for climbing with a pack, I would not bother doing an AT section up there because it would not be a lot of fun.

tiptoe
12-02-2014, 12:58
If you do hike up Moosilauke, consider ending your hike at the Moosilauke Ravine Lodge on the eastern side of the mountain. It's a big, Adirondack-style old resort owned and run by Dartmouth, with bunkrooms and family-stye meals -- huge fireplace, moose heads on the wall, etc. My son and I stayed there several years ago in September.
http://outdoors.dartmouth.edu/services/ravine_lodge/

burger
12-02-2014, 13:18
FWIW, the NOBO climb up Moosilauke from Glencliff is not bad at all in terms of steepness. But is a 3800' climb from the road to Glencliff to the summit of the mountain, so be prepared for that.

Also, be prepared for nasty weather if you go above treeline. I day-hiked Moosilauke a few years ago. It was calm, 45-50 degrees, and misty below treeline. Once we cleared the trees near the top, it was 35 degrees and pouring with rain that was blowing sideways in 40 mph winds. Do not take the Whites lightly. People die up there every year, even day hikers now and then.

Deadeye
12-02-2014, 17:36
I finally caught the summer date. For summer, I'd go with the NH side... save the lowland VT hike for fall foliage.

takethisbread
12-02-2014, 18:05
40 mile stretch ? That's a slam dunk!!
Franconia Notch to Mt Washington is the absolute crown jewel of the Appalachian Mountains and it's 40 miles. Duh! Absolute no brainer. You can hike an extra 4 miles down to Crawford notch using the tuckermans ravine route. Take the bus to your car at Franconia notch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk