PDA

View Full Version : Gave my notice today

walkinslow
12-01-2014, 21:41
Yep, I did it. Gave my notice effective at the end of Feb. Boss said he would love to have me back when I get finished. It just got real,folks. Gonna try and bring the 20 year dream home with a completed thru hike of the appalachian trail starting sometime in March.

Odd Man Out
12-01-2014, 21:46
Great that you have an accommodating boss. But with only 13 posts, you have some serious posting about gear, danger, and cheese to get done in just a few months!

Tuckahoe
12-01-2014, 21:52
And don't forget guns, dogs, and hammock zealotry!

Damn Yankee
12-01-2014, 23:04
Don't forget the toilet paper

kolokolo
12-01-2014, 23:06
Hope you have a great hike!

Havana
12-01-2014, 23:23
Live the dream! Friggin' awesome on all accounts!

hikehunter
12-01-2014, 23:51
Enjoy the adventure.

CarlZ993
12-01-2014, 23:58
Good luck on your hike.

LogHiking
12-02-2014, 13:26
Congrats man! I know it is not overly relevant to your upcoming hike but were you aware that you would have your job back if you wanted before you put in the notice? Just curious if that did or would have affected your decision making. Either way congrats and best of luck!

slbirdnerd
12-02-2014, 13:36
Have a great hike! Let us know if you'll be keeping a blog or Trail Journal.

4shot
12-02-2014, 20:35
good for you. To those who are lurking and pondering, go ahead and follow walkinslow's lead. I just read somewhere else that they added another 3.9 miles to the trail. it ain't getting easier folks. I was fortunate enough to hike it about 5 years ago and it was officially 6.7 miles shorter"back in the day" than it will be next year. I don't think I would have finished if i had another 6.7 miles left.that's just too much extra hiking. if you put it off another 6 or 7 years you could be adding another 5-10 miles. think about that for a second.

although, i have been on WB for awhile and realized that not enough time has officially elapsed for me to come on here an wax poetic about how much better " the trail was back when I hiked it". :)

walkinslow
12-02-2014, 21:06
Pardon me if I mess this reply up as you can see by my post count I just mostly read not post.
to answer your question no i relly had no idea that I would stil have my job when I returned. I work in a field
( Hvac) that I was confident that I could find a job on my return so I really wasn't worried about it.
I have been dreaming of this for a long time, a year and half ago my wife decided we didn't want to be married any more so with the kids on their own and no responsibility but myself I relocated from sc. to nc and shortly after decided I was going to go for it. I busted my rear the last year and saved money and bought gear. Once I made up my mind I knew I was going with or without a job to come back to. I made myself a promise when I got separated that I was going to live My life like never before.

LogHiking
12-02-2014, 22:15
Pardon me if I mess this reply up as you can see by my post count I just mostly read not post.
to answer your question no i relly had no idea that I would stil have my job when I returned. I work in a field
( Hvac) that I was confident that I could find a job on my return so I really wasn't worried about it.
I have been dreaming of this for a long time, a year and half ago my wife decided we didn't want to be married any more so with the kids on their own and no responsibility but myself I relocated from sc. to nc and shortly after decided I was going to go for it. I busted my rear the last year and saved money and bought gear. Once I made up my mind I knew I was going with or without a job to come back to. I made myself a promise when I got separated that I was going to live My life like never before.

Well I'm sorry to hear about the surrounding circumstances, but it sounds like you are in fact living your life the way you want and that is a great thing. Congrats again and keep us posted!

walkinslow
12-03-2014, 08:37
Well I'm sorry to hear about the surrounding circumstances, but it sounds like you are in fact living your life the way you want and that is a great thing. Congrats again and keep us posted!

It all good, life goes on and I'm not going to miss out on anymore adventures.

BOHICA
12-03-2014, 14:03
Safe journey!

fastfoxengineering
12-03-2014, 17:58
That is one of the best reasons to hike a trail and no one even asked why your doing it. No matter which way your hike goes, it will be one of the best things you've ever done in your life.

jimmyjam
12-03-2014, 19:23
It all good, life goes on and I'm not going to miss out on anymore adventures.

Good for you! Don't look back, I always trip over something when I do.

pistol p
12-03-2014, 19:52
Congratulations! Take your time, and enjoy the ride.

1azarus
12-04-2014, 19:48
i wish you all the luck in the world on your hike, and hope you have a wonderful time -- and I thank you for giving us all this sweet thread to read!

Just Bill
12-04-2014, 20:27
And don't forget guns, dogs, and hammock zealotry!

:o oops, am I responsible for another one on the list...

Best of luck tinknocker!

MelissaW
12-04-2014, 22:02
Woohoo! :)

Bigfoot86
12-06-2014, 14:02
Best of luck, I'll be out there hiking the at all year and if your in the front royal va area let me know and I'll give you a ride in and out of town. I might also see you on the trail.

roustabout
12-07-2014, 00:01
Stick it to the man!

4shot
12-07-2014, 09:50
Stick it to the man!

walkinslow certainly did. However, there will be a moment or two next year where it will feel more like the man stuck it to him.:)

walkinslow, good luck and best wishes on your hike. It is an amazing experience.

rocketsocks
12-07-2014, 10:07
Only one thing better than draggin' up...getting a knew job. After an extended vacation o'coarse. ;)

rocketsocks
12-07-2014, 10:10
Only one thing better than draggin' up...getting a knew job. After an extended vacation o'coarse. ;)Knew being the operative word...o'coarse. ;)

walkinslow
12-29-2014, 21:15
Crude gear list over on tj. Trail name awesome. Thinking about a YouTube channel so stay tuned.
oh yeah thanks for all the help you folks have provided.

awesome

grumps
12-30-2014, 12:50
Good luck to you walkinslow.... wish it were me ( gotta wait a few more years till last kid is out of college and my retirement is final, LOL) HYOH and live the life.

jessicalynnelizabeth
12-30-2014, 23:21
I'm giving my notice next week, and the closer it gets the more nervous I get! Thanks for the post - a little comfort in solidarity!

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
12-31-2014, 01:42
Congrats Walkinslow!! I'll be giving mine in the next few weeks as well! Is this exciting or what!?!?!

T-Rx
12-31-2014, 10:25
Congratulations! Walkinslow. The excitement is building as the times draws near. See you on the trail.

Old_Man
12-31-2014, 14:39
Happy Trails, good sir! Hopefully our paths will meet somewhere out in those mountains.

WILLIAM HAYES
01-01-2015, 23:02
have a good hike remember to take it all in and take a lot of pixs and keep a journal years from now you will be happy you did