PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike: Shenandoah Nat'l Park

cwhitt7
12-02-2014, 00:26
I'm planning my next section hike for early summer through Shenandoah Nat'l Park and would very much appreciate advice/input on my preliminary plans, and logistics of the trip.

I would like to complete the hike in ~5 days, and leave the weekends to manage traveling to/from the Cincinnati area (where I hang my hat, at the moment). My brother-in-law and I did the 100 Mile Wilderness in 5.5 days back in July (including a summit of Katahdin on the last day). We chose not to use a resupply option because we thought the additional challenge would add to the experience. I would like to re-apply this same approach with SNP.

My first key questions are around getting to the park. Are there any reputable shuttling services that anyone recommends? I would prefer to hike North-bound, and start on a Saturday or Sunday, if possible. Once I finish, I'd like to shuttle back to a hotel and fly out the next day.

I had a great experience with Phil Pepin's guide service (www.100milewilderness.info) in getting us started and picking us up. If I could be so lucky to use another outfit like what Phil has, that would be excellent.

I'm alright on gear (hammocking), and this isn't my first walk in the woods (Ok, I just HAD to throw that one in there)... If I can just figure out the best logistics situation, I feel like I'm 90% done planning.

Aside from the logistics, are there any other nuances with SNP that I should be aware of? Any must-sees along the way through the park?

Thanks,

Clay

tf bear
12-02-2014, 11:56
The waysides have all the food you need no resupply or full pack of food needed.

johnnybgood
12-02-2014, 15:16
Much information about SNP can be found in recent threads regarding varied topics.

Using the 'forum' heading bar above, scroll down to " Parks,Forests & Wilderness Areas".
From there select Shenandoah National Park from the sub forum choices.

Praha4
12-02-2014, 16:46
be sure to stop at Mings Garden AYCE Chinese buffet in Waynesboro, definitely worth it !

hikeandbike5
12-03-2014, 00:32
Not sure how strongly you are attached to only hiking the at through the park, but the best stuff in shenandoah is off the at. You can plan a great hike using some of the at, and venture off trail to hike old rag, white oak canyon, etc. The at is pretty boring through snp. Also way less people off the at and you can camp wherever you like.
Though, the at is easy walking, pretty mellow terrain and you'll see lots of people.
There are a bunch of waysides where you can buy snacks, beer, and hot food at some of them!

Odd Man Out
12-03-2014, 01:09
Any must-sees along the way through the park?

The last time I was at SNP were were staying at Big Meadows Lodge (not backpacking). We went to the big meadow there at dusk and there were about a bazillion deer (maybe closer to 1.23 bazillion). That would be worth seeing.

Coffee
12-03-2014, 08:36
I agree that the best hiking in SNP is not on the AT but I've never found the AT through the park boring, especially in the colder months when lack of leaves on the trees really opens up the views.

BillyGr
12-03-2014, 18:24
The last time I was at SNP were were staying at Big Meadows Lodge (not backpacking). We went to the big meadow there at dusk and there were about a bazillion deer (maybe closer to 1.23 bazillion). That would be worth seeing.

Seems like that applies to many locations along the Skyline Drive.

BobTheBuilder
12-03-2014, 18:44
Regarding shuttles - The ATC has a list of shuttle providers (sorted by area) on their webpage with contact info. I have used several and never had a problem.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-document-library/at-shuttles-parking-vandalism-2014-10-26.pdf?sfvrsn=0

shelb
12-07-2014, 03:35
Definitely right about the ability to resupply... (basic stuff)
Don't make the mistake we did and bring all your food. Plan to resupply - even if you just get jerky and ramen.

Plus:
Big Meadows - WOW cheeseburgers!!
Skyline - WOW breakfast!
Elk Wallow - Blackberry shakes - oh yah!

We did stop at Lewis Campground and take showers at the camp store.