PDA

View Full Version : DIY Granola Bars

Tuckahoe
12-02-2014, 00:28
I have watched quite the many Youtube videos along with reading all sorts of blogs and websites on DYI/homemade granola bars and the like.

I am not really interested in recipes, that's the easy part, but what I am interested in are the binders that are used. The whys and what fors. What are the characteristics of good binders versus those that wont work?

It seems that most folks use a mixture of peanut butter and honey. Why does it seem that binder is so popular? What about other binders like chocolate, or even marshmallow and butter (ala rice crispy treat)?

Rocket Jones
12-02-2014, 07:10
Pureed dates are also popular. Very binder-y (aka sticky).

Tuckahoe
12-02-2014, 12:25
I saw the dates used most often by those who posted videos about their DIY Clif Bar knock-offs, in which all of the ingredients were processed down to a paste like consistency.

Slackanater
01-24-2015, 14:45
Hello
As a beekeeper I can tell you that honey works well. For one thing it never spoils and if heated to a high temp (250 or so) it will cool hard and will keep you granola bars shape. With that said one thing that people do not realize is that honey will quickly absorb moisture. If the moisture content of honey exceeds 18% it is technically no longer honey and therefore may spoil. So I always carry them in a airtight container I.E. zip-lock, vacuum bag etc. I know you are not interested in recipes but if you would like a laugh me and my girlfriend did a funny video of us making some granola bars for our 2015 thru-hike. All our videos can be found at our Facebook page www.facebook.com/tokatahdin

Bronk
01-24-2015, 15:00
You might also look at peanut brittle recipes if you want something that will turn hard and crunchy. I also like to experiment with rice krispie treat recipes...my favorite so far is honey nut cheerios instead of rice krispies and add 1/2 cup peanut butter and 1/2 cup of honey roasted peanuts. I've also used cocoa pebbles or fruity pebbles or added things like raisins or chocolate chips.

There are also recipes out there for making your own snickers bars or other kinds of candy bars. Imagine mixing up a batch of snickers bars the size of a 9x13 pan...