PDA

View Full Version : canister stove windscreen

squeezebox
12-02-2014, 00:40
When I first bought a canister stove I made a fully enclosed wind screen for it. Luckily I was warned that that can overheat the canister and it can blow up. So My question is. Can I cut a piece of heavy aluminum foil from a cookie sheet or such, say 1/2 to 2/3 of the circumference of the canister held in place with a rubber band or 2. Will 1/3 to 1/2 of the canister uncovered and exposed to air be enough ventilation to prevent the canister from overheating? A circle of foil on top of the canister might help some also. Not the kind of thing you want to try and then find out you were wrong.
Also I plan on switching to a Soto Windmaster, it has a concave burner with a metal lip around it so it's wind resistant where all the other canister stoves have convex burners, more exposed and susceptible to wind.

Connie
12-02-2014, 01:07
Look at the Outback Oven Ultralight http://www.backpackerspantry.com/products/outback-oven/outback-oven-sets/outback-oven-ultralight.html It may be used with a canister stove.

I have used it. It is important to have a well-controlled flame. It helps to have a good "simmer". If you remember, early canister stoves did not. I was a "early adopter". I had to wait for a canister stove to meet the criteria.

It could be any shape pot or pan, to fit under that "tent" to use as a windscreen.

The parts and accessories are sold separately: http://www.backpackerspantry.com/products/outback-oven/outback-oven-parts-and-accessories.html

The SOTO Windmaster will keep the flame under the pot, the diameter pots I do not know.

I had a SOTO OD-1R and it's own windscreen I used with a GSI Minimalist Hallulite.
Here is what that windscreen looked like: http://www.backcountrygear.com/soto-micro-windscreen.html?gclid=CI6uoZPMpsICFdGCfgodyj4ADQ It performed well.

Maui Rhino
12-02-2014, 02:49
I made a DIY windscreen for my pocket rocket using 6" tall aluminum flashing. I hang it from the pot supports using the nipple ends of three bicycle spokes. I cut the spokes long enough to form a hook on one end, with the threaded end sticking out holes in my wind screen. The spoke nipples serve as nuts to hold the windscreen in place. Two #10 bolts with wing nuts serve to hold the windscreen in a circle. I also cut a disk out to serve as a heat shield for the cannister. It has a center hole for the main tube coming up from the cannister to the burner, plus three slots to match the pot supports. Weight is minimal, and it all comes apart and fits in my pot. Nothing covers the cannister, so it is safe. It also makes my stove very efficient. A small 110g cannister will last me 7 to 10 days, boiling water for dinner, and heating water for morning coffee. Sorry, I'm at work, so no pics right now.

peakbagger
12-02-2014, 07:38
I rigged up a similar setup as the prior poster for a pocket rocket. I have posted photos on WB in the past. The bottom of the shield lines up just above the fuel valve and was cut so it fits inside the pot. The diameter leave about a 1/2" gap between the pot and shield.

I find it increases my fuel efficiency as much as 30%. I also make a pocket rocket much more usable in a breeze. Frequently my friend with the same stove would have to find a spot to cook out of the wind while I could do fine out on a picnic table.

saltysack
12-02-2014, 08:34
I made a DIY windscreen for my pocket rocket using 6" tall aluminum flashing. I hang it from the pot supports using the nipple ends of three bicycle spokes. I cut the spokes long enough to form a hook on one end, with the threaded end sticking out holes in my wind screen. The spoke nipples serve as nuts to hold the windscreen in place. Two #10 bolts with wing nuts serve to hold the windscreen in a circle. I also cut a disk out to serve as a heat shield for the cannister. It has a center hole for the main tube coming up from the cannister to the burner, plus three slots to match the pot supports. Weight is minimal, and it all comes apart and fits in my pot. Nothing covers the cannister, so it is safe. It also makes my stove very efficient. A small 110g cannister will last me 7 to 10 days, boiling water for dinner, and heating water for morning coffee. Sorry, I'm at work, so no pics right now.

Pic when get a chance pls......thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T-Rx
12-02-2014, 08:57

Please post pics when you have a chance. I am looking to create a windscreen for my pocket rocket also. Thanks.

Maui Rhino
12-03-2014, 09:17
I took some pics and uploaded them with comments to PhotoBucket. You can see them here (http://s410.photobucket.com/user/MauiRhino/library/Pocket%20Rocket%20Windscreen). Basically, I copied some ideas I saw here on Whiteblaze to make the windscreen. It was a fun and practical build...one of my more useful projects. Let me know if you have questions.

Just Bill
12-03-2014, 10:35
The fine folks at the trail show recently shared a fine tip just in time for the holidays- A heavy foil turkey pan does the job. With the bonus you can cut it with a regular scissors and replace it at any town. Cut it at the same circumference as your pot, then open it to 2/3rds or so to give you an inch or two of clearance.

Another technological wonder in line with other "Trail Show Tips"- laying down your pack often does the job. As does simply sitting in front of the stove. Though difficult to carry, a decent sized tree also comes in handy.

Maui Rhino
12-03-2014, 15:38
I use the foil turkey pan windscreen with some of my other alcohol stoves. I haven't tried to suspend it from the pot supports of my Pocket Rocket...I do like how the flashing windscreen is more durable than the foil screens. The one in my pics is over 2ys old and has lots of miles/meals on it.

Mags
12-03-2014, 16:07
Quick. Simple. Effective.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/00041.html

Basically what Bill said but with photos.

DLP
12-03-2014, 16:10
Can I cut a piece of heavy aluminum foil from a cookie sheet or such, say 1/2 to 2/3 of the circumference of the canister This is basically what I have. I have some turkey pan-ish foil that is about 5" x 13". I just hold it at flame level and use my body and the foil to block the wind. I do check the canister temp, as I know that I'm disregarding the Pocket Rocket instructions, and feel vaguely guilty about this.

I also cook on the ground behind a rock or something. I don't cook on a picnic table in the wind.

Worst case, I just eat a cold dinner if it is really, really windy and save the cooked meal for a calmer dinner or lunch. It just burns up too much fuel if it is really blowing and the wind is swirling from 12 different directions.

psyculman
12-06-2014, 07:56
I took some pics and uploaded them with comments to PhotoBucket. You can see them here (http://s410.photobucket.com/user/MauiRhino/library/Pocket%20Rocket%20Windscreen). Basically, I copied some ideas I saw here on Whiteblaze to make the windscreen. It was a fun and practical build...one of my more useful projects. Let me know if you have questions.

Thank you for the pictures, and ideas! Great thinking. Will be making this soon!

T-Rx
12-06-2014, 08:53
Thanks to Maui Rhino and Mags for the great ideas and pics! I see I have some work to do.

Black Wolf
12-06-2014, 12:12
I use the one with the Snow Peak .. Hiking with a another gram weenie, he made the most expensive wind screen ever .. He took a 1.3L Ti pot and cut out the slots in the bottom of said pot matching the slots on the SP .. Then cut the top of the pot leaving about 2-3 inches.. It was sweet ..

MuddyWaters
12-06-2014, 19:32

Just Bill
12-06-2014, 20:58
I use the one with the Snow Peak .. Hiking with a another gram weenie, he made the most expensive wind screen ever .. He took a 1.3L Ti pot and cut out the slots in the bottom of said pot matching the slots on the SP .. Then cut the top of the pot leaving about 2-3 inches.. It was sweet ..

That's dedication.

saltysack
12-07-2014, 00:01

Is there that aluminum flashing?

MuddyWaters
12-07-2014, 07:10
Is there that aluminum flashing?

Of course.
Used cannister for jmt. First crappy windscreen i made to pattern it worked more efficient than the second nicer one so used it.

0.3 oz
Upports
Cannisters lose A LOT of heat. Tight windscreen is just as important as alcohol if you want efficiency. When i heat on low (7-8 min), 2 cup boil on 0.18 oz fuel. Used only half of a small 100 gm cannister for jmt.

If i had a put that was wider than supports, would have to do different. Not impossible. Small steel wires could lay across stove to hang screen on, ur hang it off the pot . or just extend the pot supports with little wire bits somhow.

jtbradyl
12-09-2014, 00:23
You can get cheap compact folding wind screens on eBay in varying sizes. $7- on up.

English Stu
12-09-2014, 08:23
You can make a simple screen to hang off the pot supports from a beer can .

rocketsocks
12-09-2014, 08:49
You can make a simple screen to hang off the pot supports from a beer can .
...that and a couple Christmas tree ornaments hooks, works pretty good.

sorry...Holiday ornament hooks :rolleyes:

Starchild
12-09-2014, 09:29

0.3 oz
Upports
Cannisters lose A LOT of heat. Tight windscreen is just as important as alcohol if you want efficiency. When i heat on low (7-8 min), 2 cup boil on 0.18 oz fuel. Used only half of a small 100 gm cannister for jmt.

There is also a claim of 30% gain in efficiency. But I have to question is it worth it?

In your situation you went the entire JMT using 1/2 of a canister? What did you gain by doing so. You ended up carrying around another piece of gear (windscreen) + you ended up not using as much fuel, so you are carrying more.

Why not just burn another 30%, end your hike with a canister 2/3rds used up and not carry the windscreen?
:confused:

squeezebox
12-11-2014, 17:39
Because 30% more efficient also means 30 % faster boil, and the wt.of a decently designed windscreen is close to nothing. If you're out for 1 week or 6 months there is a significant cost difference, and times when you know don't have to carry back up.

MuddyWaters
12-11-2014, 22:59
Because the fuel savings is a lot more than 30%, compared to no windscreen at all, when there is a breeze. I could comfortably carry a single small cannister without concern, as opposed to either a large, or needing to swapping out at resupply to be sure had enough. Most folks use multiple large cannisters, resupplying before the last 115 miles.

Honuben
12-12-2014, 02:23
I have used an alum roasting pan in the past but have found Trail Designs offers an aluninum windscreesn in 4"' 6" and 8 " height sizes. Cut accordingly, thesse weigh less than roasting pans. Swapping over from a canister stove to zelph's starlyte, i use a 4" tall trail design windscreen now.