PDA

View Full Version : Worth Upgrading to Osprey Exos 38?

rjstew234
12-02-2014, 12:07
About 5 years ago I got into backpacking. Typical trips are 5 days/4 nights/50-60 miles, East of the Mississippi from the Smokies to Vermont. No thru-hiking in the near future. My first backpack was a High Peak Everest 75+10, 6lbs. I quickly realized this pack was way too big for a 4 day trip and that I could easily cut 2/3 of the weight. After only a few trips I learned that its much more enjoyable to pack extremely light/minimal vs lugging around a 30-40lb pack. The weight reduction was helped greatly with the purchase of a Big Agnes UL2 Scout tent, 2lbs packed weight which uses trekking poles as the supports. I have a Big Agnes Air Core sleeping pad, 1lb 5oz and a High Peak Latitude 20 sleeping bag, 2lb 7oz.

About a year ago I purchased a Vaude Brenta 40 liter pack at 3lbs. Its the perfect size for 4 nights because it forces me to think about what Im packing and not overload with unnecessary items. For my last trip in the Smokies this summer I got my total pack trail weight down to 22lbs, including food, but not including water. My only complaint with the Vaude pack is there is minimal padding on the shoulder straps and hip belt (maybe max?), and the hip belt buckle and straps near the buckle are very narrow, about 1 wide. This causes the buckle and belt to dig into my belly when the pack is fully loaded. As a workaround, I swapped out the original buckle with a wider one from another pack and fashioned a Velcro shoulder strap from a laptop bag to cover the hip belt, which makes it about 3 wide. The whole setup is quite cumbersome though and doesnt breath very well. The Vaude also has a weird pear shape, where the load tends to settle toward the bottom.

All that being said, I was browsing packs to see if I could find any deals on Cyber Monday and came across the Osprey Exos 38 (actually 40 liters in large). Its 2lbs 3oz, so a full 3/4lb lighter than my current Vaude pack, and it looks like it has nicer padding on the straps & belt and a wider belt. It also has a tons of features, including a removable top lid, which my Vaude pack doesnt have. I know that Osprey packs are essentially top of the line and one of the top choices for thru-hikers.

My question is, is it worth upgrading from the Vaude to the Osprey for $120? Any other packs under 2lbs 8oz that I should be looking at?

Vaude Brenta 40: http://www.vaude.com/en-NL/Products/Backpacks/Brenta-40-black.html

Osprey Exos 38: http://www.rei.com/product/864596/osprey-exos-38-pack#tab-description

LogHiking
12-02-2014, 13:17
Ultimately this decision will come down to how much that $120 means to the individual person. With that said, most people would agree that losing 12 ounces and increasing the comfort of one of your most important pieces of gear is a steal at $120. If you can afford it, do it IMO.

Connie
12-02-2014, 13:36
That is a very good deal for a comfortable pack, with customer satisfaction.

That model, the Osprey Exos 38, has only excellent reports.

Doesn't it have a frame built-in? If so, the question is: does it fit?

If you can't try it on, with the weight inside you carry, does the store have returns?

rjstew234
12-02-2014, 14:15
I ended up finding a coupon from a previous order and purchased the bag online for $95 shipped, no tax and they include a rain cover for free. Pretty incredible deal. They have a 60 day return policy even if the item is used. Worse case, I spend $8 to mail it back after I wear it around the neighborhood with a full load for a few miles. Yes, it has a frame built in:

Superlight Airspeed™ suspension features a 6065 aluminum frame and breathable 3D tensioned-mesh back panel with side ventilation

$95 is definitely worth 3/4lb and additional comfort (amazing reviews at REI about the comfort of the straps).

Thanks for the advice!

Connie
12-02-2014, 15:40
There is more comfort than the specified weight of the pack itself, in a well-made pack.

Let us hear more follow-up.

jimyjam
12-03-2014, 23:25
Last year I upgraded to the Osprey 58 and absolutely love it! Most comfortable pack I've ever worn. I have over loaded it once and it handled it with no problems! I plan to use it on my 2016 thru hike. Another good thing is Osprey has a lifetime guarantee! Happy Hiking!

Life is full of ups and downs! Hike on!

Gram Weenie
12-04-2014, 00:35
I have the Osprey 46,and I love it.You get great ventilation from the mesh Airspeed back panel
Plus,Osprey has a Lifetime warranty on their packs

OwenM
12-04-2014, 06:31
It would be worth it to me just for the suspended mesh back panel-assuming it fits you well.
My only real criticicism is that the stretch mesh pockets do not handle abrasion like the older version's(3 small tears between the 2 side pockets on mine from squeezing through boulders off-trail).
Wonderful pack, though.
Here's mine with gear for temps into the 20s, and three days of food. Love that it has usable bottom straps, which the old version did not. Having the shelter outside the pack makes a big difference to me.

http://imageshack.com/a/img538/9600/w3l9Ps.jpg

daddytwosticks
12-04-2014, 08:10
I love my newer model Exos 48. Most comfortable pack I own. Probably going to start getting rid of my other packs, including the smaller frameless models. The Osprey is that good IMHO. :)