PDA

View Full Version : Cool Breeze Thru Advice

gravitino
12-02-2014, 20:29
The Appalachian Trail Conservancy seems to encourage alternative ways of thru-hiking, including one nicknamed "cool breeze." This route plan divides the AT into three equal-length sections, and requires two flips.

1, Middle section: Start in the Mid-Atlantic area, probably in the Connecticut-NY border, and hike south to Virginia.
2. North section: Fly/ride from Virginia to Katahdin, and then hike south to the Mid-Atlantic area.
3. South section: Fly/ride back to Virginia, and hike south to Springer Mountain.

I would like to know:

1. A good, accessible place in the Mid-Atlantic, to start the first section/finish the second section.
2. A good, accessible place in Virginia, to end the first section/start the third section.

Many thanks!

Reference: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking/when-where-to-start

Slo-go'en
12-02-2014, 20:59
If you want to start at a reasonable time of year, like May 1st, I'd start at the Delaware Water Gap, which is easy to get to by bus from NYC (and maybe other places). Any farther north and you'll likely to have weather issues.

You don't want to go to Katahdin before the middle of June, (July is better - less bugs, drier trail). Once into Virginia you have lots of choices of where to get off. Happers Ferry, Waynesboro, Roanoke.

johnnybgood
12-02-2014, 21:13
Getting off at Harper's Ferry,W.Va. is the best option. This allows you the choice of flying back from Reagan International after a shuttle or taking Amtrak back.

gravitino
12-03-2014, 11:50
Thanks slo-go and johnnyb. Both DWG and HF seem like excellent flipping points.
Definitely plan to be in Katahdin/Maine in July/August, no black flies for me.

This was "cool breeze's" experience:

- I hit many places in their most clement and beautiful seasons
- Pennsylvania in moist May
- Maine and Whites in balmy July and August
- Smokies in late October's peak colors
- Finished at Springer before snowfall in early November
-The best weather of any of my [three] AT [thru-hikes]