PDA

View Full Version : Hostel Question

hikingbear
12-03-2014, 16:07
I am looking to purchase a second home (Currently live in FL) that I can run as a hostile in the future. I want to purchase close to the trail but not to far north. I was looking at a place in Mouth of Wilson Virginia. It is located about 40 miles east of Damascus. It is located to three convenient parking areas for the AT. One being in the Grayson Highland State Park (only 10 mies away, 14 min). The other two are a further up (north) trail but still under 15 minutes.

My question is for those familiar with this area. Is this section in need of a hostile? Are these distances to far from the trail that hikers won't want to stay? I will provide shuttle service.

Thanks for all input!!!!

Alleghanian Orogeny
12-03-2014, 16:22
Spell-check is not always our friend. You are of course pondering a location for a hostel in the future.

I haven't a clue what hostels are close by the AT along VA 16 north/west of Mouth of Wilson, VA, but from having driven up through there to Troutdale, VA 603, and on over to and through Sugar Grove from Mouth of Wilson, I don't trust any mapping software contention that it's only a 14 minute drive. If you're looking at property very close to the US 58-VA 16 intersection at Mouth of Wilson, I'd be thinking more along the lines of 20-25 minutes to an AT road crossing. Hopefully some Damascus/Marion/Atkins area locals can confirm or correct that.

Furthermore, if I recall correctly, some carriers cellphone service is poor to none along the AT in that general vicinity.

AO

slbirdnerd
12-03-2014, 16:28
If you edit your headline/post you might get more good feedback. No one likes a hostile question. ;)

You might keep an eye out for existing hostels that are for sale.

takethisbread
12-03-2014, 17:00
There is quite a few hostels in this area Damascus has 5 hostels : the place, Dave's place , crazy Larry's , woodchuck hostel, and hikers inn . If I have that right? Then up the road a bit you have troutdale baptist church, then it's another 100 miles to woods hole hostel. So I would say a great place for a hostel might be in that stretch between Ceres and Bland bc there isn't a great town in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alleghanian Orogeny
12-03-2014, 17:16
There is quite a few hostels in this area Damascus has 5 hostels : the place, Dave's place , crazy Larry's , woodchuck hostel, and hikers inn . If I have that right? Then up the road a bit you have troutdale baptist church, then it's another 100 miles to woods hole hostel. So I would say a great place for a hostel might be in that stretch between Ceres and Bland bc there isn't a great town in there

Isn't Nigel "Tru Brit" Collins offering hostel services at his Fort Bastian compound, within a mile of the AT @ VA 615/Laurel Creek? I believe he did so throughout 2014.

AO

takethisbread
12-03-2014, 17:21
Isn't Nigel "Tru Brit" Collins offering hostel services at his Fort Bastian compound, within a mile of the AT @ VA 615/Laurel Creek? I believe he did so throughout 2014.

AO

If so I missed it. I went from chestnut knob through to jenny knob which was a long ass day and then then to pearisburg, I didn't have AWOL guide so I missed stuff for sure

Jeff
12-03-2014, 17:31
TruBrit's Fort Bastian is a work in progress...some hikers really enjoyed themselves there in 2014.

Atkins/Grosclose could use a hostel. Rambunny ran one there back in 2009/2010 but not sure if it will ever reopen.

bigcranky
12-03-2014, 17:53
I would agree with Jeff on the Groseclose or Atkins area. There is a small old motel right on the trail, but no hostels nearby and that's far enough north of Damascus that thru hikers may be looking for a place to stay. Marion is maybe ten miles west, so you get a nice size town nearby for yourself and for hikers to resupply, etc.

Mouth of Wilson is well off the trail and so close to Damascus that I don't know how many hikers you would get. Also the Troutdale church hostel is closer to the trail at VA 603 and VA 16 for those that want to get off for the night in that area. Finally, there is very little in that area -- no big towns nearby, only tiny rural grocery stores, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kayak karl
12-03-2014, 18:01

freightliner
12-03-2014, 21:33
You would probably do better opening up a seasonal brew pub. There's not that many thru hikers that can pass up a brew pub.

Connie
12-03-2014, 21:50
kayak karl, Are you Piraro?!!

Mags
12-03-2014, 21:56
Subject line edited so the topic is less hostile.... ;)

kayak karl
12-03-2014, 22:08
no, but the link to his site is on it and credit given.

Connie
12-03-2014, 22:10
Aww, Mags.

Did you see the Piraro comic? The OP could put that framed on the wall.

MkBibble
12-13-2014, 18:19

That reminds me of the time I paid $100 to spend the night at a warehouse!

Old Hiker
12-14-2014, 12:16
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/107879-Hostel-Site-for-Sale

BaxterBear
12-14-2014, 15:26
I am also looking to purchase hostels within the first 500 miles of the AT. Thanks for making the thread, I will share any tips I get.

Southerner
12-15-2014, 13:46
I was out for a quick walk on the AT between Daleville and Troutville (Va.) the other day, and I came across a great property for a hostel if someone were willing to invest a substantial chunk of change and build from scratch. The property is about 13 acres on Valley Road listed for $92K. One could literally throw a baseball from the property and hit the AT (it may not be a good idea to test that statement when hikers are passing by). And, no, I am neither the seller nor the real estate agent, and I have no other connection to the property. It just struck me as a great spot for a hostel and/or hiker-oriented business.

Advantages: 1.) There is currently no hostel in the Daleville / Troutville area. 2.) A very high number of hikers pass through the area. In addition to through-hikers, lots of section hikers start or end at US 220 or US 11 because Roanoke is a good transportation access to the AT and it is also the northern access to the spectacular section that includes Hay Rock, Tinker Cliffs, McAfee's Knob, and Dragon's Tooth. 3.) There are a lot of complementary hiker services in the area.

Disadvantages: 1.) A hostel would have to compete against low-cost motels at Daleville and free camping courtesy of the Town of Troutville. 2.) Zoning could be a problem, especially in a relatively affluent, suburban-rural county like Botetourt. 3.) High costs, especially relative to potential returns. 4.) The proximity to I-81 may not make for the prettiest of settings.

Again, just putting it out there in case anyone has the means and desire. It would be nice to see a hiker hostel in the area as opposed to more McMansions (or whatever else might go onto the land).

TOW
04-02-2015, 12:38
Hahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!