PDA

View Full Version : Outside NOC

PushingDaisies
01-17-2003, 14:45
If you are willing to carry a little extra water, there are a few small campsites about a mile or so out of NOC.

It gives you a head start on the monster hill out of NOC and it's not much farther to the next spring. The first water source is about 3 miles out of NOC.

smokymtnsteve
01-17-2003, 16:02
That monster hill coming out out of NOC (wesser) really isn't as bad as it looks on the profile...I always stay and clean up and supply at wesser and then start up the hill with enough water to get to grassy gap...have a good break and lunch and then water up for sassafras shelter and spring...this sassafras shelter is pretty funky and with cheoah bald so close and beautiful why not??

it 's not as bad of a climb as the profile shows..why even THE WEASEL made it up to Sassafras shelter for the night!!

the section right after cheaoah and down to stecoah gap and then up to brown fork gap shelter is a boogger...the climb after steacoah gap is really steep at the top to the left is a good overlook ...it's easy to miss... good rock outcrop could be sunny.. the view is back toward stecoah gap and robbinsville.... awesome view....

pdhoffman
01-17-2003, 23:51
The funky old Sassafras shelter has been replaced with a new two story one. I stayed in the funky old one on Oct. 22 with one of the construction crew. The new one was about half done maybe but didn't have a roof yet.

Pete Hoffman

Sleepy the Arab
01-18-2003, 00:06
I don't know why, but this makes me sad. Sassafras... Gooch... They were old, drafty and hardly memorable, but to be replaced by another 2 storied/multi-deluxe monstrosity? Yeesh. I'll go camp on Cheoah or in Locust cove gap.

Growth. Progress. So it goes. And there it goes.

Montana
01-18-2003, 05:52
There is a decent camp spot near the NOC for any interested in staying the night there. Follow the railroad tracks down river a bit, right next to a big rapid is a hill with a few good tent spots up top. I slept pretty good there, the sound of roaring water always puts me at ease.

Moose2001
01-18-2003, 09:18
Montana - that is a good spot. The night I was there about 6 of us spent the night on that hill. Very peacefull.

Lone Wolf
01-21-2006, 08:35
Screw the shelter. Carry water the extra mile and camp on Cheoah. It's the AT thing to do. Shelters SUCK!

Sly
01-21-2006, 11:54
There is a decent camp spot near the NOC for any interested in staying the night there. Follow the railroad tracks down river a bit, right next to a big rapid is a hill with a few good tent spots up top. I slept pretty good there, the sound of roaring water always puts me at ease.

How far is a bit? And is it up river or down river, east or west?

neo
01-21-2006, 15:37
carry a hammock and camp any were ya want:cool: neo

digger51
01-21-2006, 21:21
The climb out of NOC isnt that bad, and there is plenty of water along the way. I always like to stop for lunch and look out over the valley from some of the spots during the climb.

sliderule
01-22-2006, 13:30
If you are willing to carry a little extra water, there are a few small campsites about a mile or so out of NOC.

Which way is "out of?" North or south?

The Solemates
01-23-2006, 12:06

shhh! dont let the secret out!
this is where i always sleep whenever at NOC. in fact, i stayed there 3 nights in my tent when at the RUCK a couple weekends ago.

Sly
01-23-2006, 13:01
shhh! dont let the secret out!
this is where i always sleep whenever at NOC. in fact, i stayed there 3 nights in my tent when at the RUCK a couple weekends ago.

I was thinking about making it the "official" SoRuck stealth campsite! I'll find it when stashing next years cache, if not sooner. ;)