PDA

View Full Version : Long Term Parking

JBandStacy2014
12-04-2014, 01:43
Is it possible to park our car at the approach trail while we thru-hike to ME? Our plan is to do the full trail and then fly back to ATL to go get the car.
If we cannot park there, does anyone have any ideas on where to leave it?

Alleghanian Orogeny
12-04-2014, 08:44
Many "self storage" facilities offer long-term vehicle parking. Depending on the facility, you may find some additional security in place in the form of a resident manager, high fencing, security cams, etc. I think I'd want a space where somebody could crank up and run the vehicle for a few minutes every week or two. I'd want a substantial dose of fuel stabilizer in the fuel tank and throughout the fuel system, too. Fuel and a battery left untreated and unattended for 4-6 months may very likely be separated (fuel) and dead (battery) upon your return.

AO

Starchild
12-04-2014, 09:15
I've heard yes long term parking for the AT thru is available there and reported as safe to leave it there for a thru.

Fuel stabilizer is a good idea, parking brake off (it could freeze/lock in position) and I disco'ed a battery terminal, this was for a 2 month period due to the logistics and how my car bounced around friends and family before ending up back at my home.

When I got back the effects of the long term storage seemed to be very rusty/noisy brake rotors. Drove it for a bit and it got better, but not the same, eventually all 4 needed replacement and everything was good after that.

Praha4
12-04-2014, 11:25
You can park long term while doing a thru-hike at the Amicalola Falls State Park Visitor Center parking lot. Park your car, log in at the Visitor Center, weigh your pack, and start the Approach trail at the "Arch" behind the Visitor Center. You can even stop at the Lodge for the all-star buffet if you wish.

Slo-go'en
12-04-2014, 12:20
Besides the usual problems of dead battery, flat tires, rusty brake rotors, bad gas, 6" of bird poop on the windshield to name just a few of the problems of leaving a car parked in a place like Amicalola Falls SP, I think the biggest problem is if things get rough the first week or two and knowing your car isn't far away would make it even more likely for you to give up and go home rather then pushing through.

rafe
12-04-2014, 12:24
What's the relative cost of long-term storage of the vehicle vs. travel to the trailhead at Springer? If I were to "leave a car" anywhere for an extended period, I think I'd rather leave it at home, or perhaps with a family member or good friend, with the proviso that said friend take it for a short drive every few weeks.

swisscross
12-04-2014, 12:32
Not sure if I would feel comfortable leaving my car for 5 months at a state park.

I think I would rent a car, drive across country (your in NV correct) and shuttle to falls.

JBandStacy2014
12-04-2014, 19:36
Not sure if I would feel comfortable leaving my car for 5 months at a state park.

I think I would rent a car, drive across country (your in NV correct) and shuttle to falls.

We do not live in NV - it's a long story.
We plan on disconnecting the battery and pumping it with fuel stabilizer.

We really do not have any other options than to park the car there and leave it while we thru. I was praying that one of you would say yes :)
Thanks everyone!

Slo-go'en
12-05-2014, 00:17
We do not live in NV - it's a long story.
We plan on disconnecting the battery and pumping it with fuel stabilizer.

We really do not have any other options than to park the car there and leave it while we thru. I was praying that one of you would say yes :)
Thanks everyone!

Even disconnected you'll likely need a jump to get it started. Put some jumper cables in the trunk. Also check for mouse nests in the air filter, I've had that happen with my car parked in my driveway! But if I had no option but to park the car there for the duration, I'd sell it while it was still worth something. You just don't know what you'll find when you get back.

TNhiker
12-05-2014, 00:31
Drive to knoxville---park your car at my work---I'll drive ya down....

ill look out for your car and start it up every now and then if you wish...

do thru----fly back to knoxville and entertain me with stories on the way back to Georgia.....

dead serious....

Praha4
12-05-2014, 10:38
I've never known anyone who had a car damaged at the AFSP visitor center parking lot, it is lit overnite, the rangers house is right across the street. I've known numerous hikers how have left their cars there for weeks and months and never had a problem. I've left my car there myself numerous times and never had a problem. The parking fee is minimal too, compared to leaving a car at a commercial parking area or storage lot. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Abatis1948
12-05-2014, 10:49
Drive to knoxville---park your car at my work---I'll drive ya down....

ill look out for your car and start it up every now and then if you wish...

do thru----fly back to knoxville and entertain me with stories on the way back to Georgia.....

dead serious....

Trail Magic at the extreme!!!

TNhiker
12-05-2014, 10:54
I'm completely serious about my offer....

the stakes go up if I can squeeze in a night or two in a tent on the trail somewhere....

rhjanes
12-05-2014, 11:05
Suggest not starting it up for anything less than 20 minutes and driving it for those 20 minutes. Everything needs worked, lubricated, heated up to burn off moisture, etc. Now if you have someone who can drive it say to the store, to their house and then back, once a month....that is best.
I have two old cars and all of us in the old machinery hobby, all say "start it and operate it at least 20 minutes once a month. 30 or 60 is even better".

Before you leave it, over inflate the tires by 4 pounds. Fill it with fresh fuel and Sta-Bil (and drive it for 15 minutes to get that worked thru all the fuel lines), clean it well. Disconnect the battery. If your storage has electricity, put the battery on a trickle charger.

If it is stored for 4 to 6 months, then come ready to: 1) inflate the tires (spare also, but last) 2) check for varmites in the car, trunk, under the hood 3) a new battery or a way to jump it off 4) if stored outside, a way to wash off the windows. 4) tools to hook the battery back up