PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a bivy for SMD Deschutes Tarp?

fireneck
12-04-2014, 03:06
While hiking the CT this summer I was thinking through my PCT gear list in my head and what changes I want to make. Now, I'm finally making it a reality. Had a great experience with SMD Haven Tarp on the CT this summer. Anyone have the Six Moon Designs Deschutes (https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tarps/87-deschutes.html?redirected=1)? Do you need net with it? Any other pro tips after using this tarp would be greatly appreciated.

I will be making a DIY net and have it boxed up and ready to ship if need be.

Thanks!

Miner
12-04-2014, 03:19
Yes, you'll need some sort of insect protection with it since it doesn't have any and the edges are open to the outside world. The shelter itself is similar to the Zpacks Hexamid 1.5 size tarp and the Mountain Laurel Designs Cricket Tarp (both of which offer either a netting option or an inner net tent that can be added). If you go with your DIY net, you'll need it for the Sierra Nevada and likely Oregon. If you are ahead of the pack or its a bigger snow year, you may need it for Northern California as well. The main concern on the PCT is mosquitos. Ants are also everywhere, but if you are careful with your camp selection, they won't be a problem (ie. don't setup where you see them crawling around). I cowboyed camp for all but 9 nights and only set my tarp up for rain. But I had a lightweight bivy sack for the bugs. A headnet over a hat can work if it's cold enough to have your sleeping pulled all the way up and closed tightly around your neck. But you'll have some warm nights where that isn't practical.

fireneck
12-04-2014, 13:32
Thanks for the feed back. The comparison with other shelters is nice too. SMD does not have a lot of photos for their tarps and leaves a lot up to the imagination.