PDA

View Full Version : Protein shake

freightliner
12-04-2014, 10:22
I really don't have time to shop around and figure out what is the best lightest protein shake. So I was hoping somebody would know what to use. I've tried protein bars in the past and had good success but they seem to be heavy and really don't taste good. I'm so out of shape now I know I'm going to need something in the beginning. I have so fat now that I won't hit the wall until I get to the whites. I don't know maybe that's a good thing seeing that most people hit the wall even before Damascus.

Ktaadn
12-04-2014, 10:27
I would recommend that you stick to whole foods as opposed to a powdered drink mix containing who knows what. Best protein shake? A jar of peanut butter.

swisscross
12-04-2014, 10:37
Nido, Instant Breakfast and a pack of Via.

freightliner
12-04-2014, 10:43
I would recommend that you stick to whole foods as opposed to a powdered drink mix containing who knows what. Best protein shake? A jar of peanut butter.

Yeah but to get enough protein out of peanut butter you'd have to eat almost a half a jar. I can't eat that much peanut butter. I realize that most people don't understand the benefits of protein while working out but there are some that do I'm hoping they can help.

Deacon
12-04-2014, 12:50
Many of the bars have a pretty good balance of fat, carbohydrates, and protein. For example the Probar Meal is 3 oz., and 10 grams protein. Two of those lasts me all day until Dinner (on the trail).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deacon
12-04-2014, 12:51
And they don't taste like sawdust.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LogHiking
12-04-2014, 15:03
OP, what do you consider an adequate amount of protein in grams per day? I'm guessing by the fact that you asked the question it is somewhere in the 1g per every 1-2 lbs of LBM? It is tough to answer the question properly without knowing this answer.

I'm heavily involved in the fitness industry both personally and professionally and while I don't have any interest in arguing this massively hot button issue on this forum in this thread, I would suggest doing some googling on the modern scientific studies (not fitness magazines) of how important protein is to muscle growth/retention. It is pretty much unanimously agreed upon these days by people who actually put in legitimate research that the grams of protein are far less important than we have previously believed, and overall calories and proper hydration (water and water only) are of a far greater importance.

That is all I want to say on the subject, if you disagree or don't want to look into that is more than OK by me. Just thought it could help your fitness both at home and save you the hassle of worrying about protein on the trail. Either way let me know how much protein you are looking to consume and I can give you a more exacting answer.

As a default I usually prefer casein protein for this kind of thing due to its slower release, and my favorite is Syntrax Miccelar Creme due to the excellent taste and macro breakdown. It doesn't mix in liquid quite as well as whey, but it mixes in food exponentially better and that is a trade off I'm happy to make. I've had great success making a gorp/trail mush thing by putting trailmix/assorted nuts, a scoop of miccelar, and some water in a dish or bag and mixing it up. Peanut butter is a nice addition if you carry it.

Hope that helps!

Roadless Traveler
12-04-2014, 17:22
I agree with whole food items but when a supplement is necessary we use SFH brand Fortified (daily) and Recovery (after a crossfit workout). It is not cheap but very good quality.

Connie
12-04-2014, 17:44
I have been following this thread, because I am interested in a less costly shelf stable protein for backpacking.

Is there anything like that?

Is "SFH Recovery" like that?

"The product in question today is protein powder, specifically a blend they call Recovery. SFH offers a wide range of protein powders to support a variety of purposes - daily protein intake, endurance sports performance, mass building, etc. Recovery is intended to be a post-workout protein. SFH advises you take it within an hour of your workout and follow it an hour or two later with a regular meal. According to their website, 'The purpose is to re-energize your tired muscles and help them recover, protect against joint injury and decrease the negative effects of free radical oxidants.'

As such, the Recovery protein powder is mostly composed of whey concentrate, but also includes an amino acid blend to aid in the post-workout recovery process. Recovery protein powder includes: co-enzyme Q10, ribose, carnitine, creatine, glutamine, glucosamine HCL, chondroitin sulfate, leucine, isoleucine, and taurine."

ref: http://breakingmuscle.com/supplements/product-review-sfh-recovery-whey-protein

Dogwood
12-04-2014, 18:41
Actually, protein contributes little to you energy needs. Protein is largely required for muscle growth/muscle retention just as LogHiking stated. He is also absolutely correct stating protein has been glorified to the point that it is now realized that it is less important than previously believed. In context of backpacking, even long distance backpacking, and in light of the amount of excess protein the U.S. citizen consumes daily, you likely should not be so concerned about it. "Most Americans regularly consume twice that much protein, so your trail diet may have considerably less protein than you normally eat at home and still supply more than ample protein for the muscle building and energy needs of your body." - Brenda Braaten

http://thru-hiker.com/articles/PackLightEatRight/protein.htm

Connie
12-04-2014, 20:32
We don't have much by way of trail towns, trail angels, and, resupply points.

Thus pack horses, or, pack mules.

Like I said, I was thinking of the expense. If there is some supplement powder I can sprinkle an entree, or, add to a hot drink, I am interested.

freightliner
12-04-2014, 21:02
I did not realize that protein shake was a fad. A few years ago I wasn't able to hike in the winter so I got a gym membership instead. They all said that you have to drink a protein shake after you work out in order to protect your muscles. My life will be a whole lot easier if I don't have to do that. I can't wait to drink Appalachian mountain spring water it's the best part about hiking the trail.

OwenM
12-04-2014, 21:51
Protein shakes are not a fad. What most people fail to realize is that their purpose is to deliver the protein at a particular time, not to add huge amounts to your diet.

If there is some supplement powder I can sprinkle an entree, or, add to a hot drink, I am interested.
Unfortunately, protein powder won't mix with hot liquid.

LogHiking
12-04-2014, 21:54
I did not realize that protein shake was a fad. A few years ago I wasn't able to hike in the winter so I got a gym membership instead. They all said that you have to drink a protein shake after you work out in order to protect your muscles. My life will be a whole lot easier if I don't have to do that. I can't wait to drink Appalachian mountain spring water it's the best part about hiking the trail.

Yea man I used to count every gram of protein I ate so imagine my relief when I quit. I changed other variables as well so I can't say for certain but I feel as if my muscle growth has improved since worrying more about getting sufficient cals throughout the day and erring on the side of whole foods as opposed to supplements and other meal replacement stuff. Again I can't say for certain if my growth has gotten faster or stayed similar, but my measurements and measurable strength (reps/sets/etc) have increased since quitting so it certainly isn't holding me back.

And yea fad is a decent word, but its more about selling supplements than it is about just being a fad. If everyone needs 200 grams of protein every day and has to eat every 2 hours, well for most people that is impossible without supplementation, so they buy lots of supplementation. That is why I said don't read the fitness mags. They are all giant advertisements for the people who pay their bills, AKA supplement companies.

Connie
12-04-2014, 21:59
Say that about almost every magazine.

I am still interested, because I care about lightweight and low volume for backpacking.

At the same time, I always look for natural whole foods, preferring vegetables and grains. I like a steak and eggs breakfast, as well, but it isn't in my backpack.

LogHiking
12-04-2014, 22:05
Say that about almost every magazine.

I am still interested, because I care about lightweight and low volume for backpacking.

At the same time, I always look for natural whole foods, preferring vegetables and grains. I like a steak and eggs breakfast, as well, but it isn't in my backpack.

Very true Connie. And yes I agree protein powder still has its place in my life as well as on the trail. That little trail mush type recipe I posted is very inexpensive, easy to make ahead of time, carry, and prepare to eat (add cold water). My rant is more about needing protein powders/shakes to take in specified amounts of protein, as I'm of the belief those numbers are greatly inflated. And yes I agree with OwenM that timing is absolutely the most viable reason to take protein shakes, not amount of protein.

freightliner
12-04-2014, 22:08
This is good stuff I'm glad I put this out there makes my life a whole lot easier. Normally I eat lots of beans and rice but going northbound I might not want to do that or I'll end up with a new trail name that I don't want. Going southbound it didn't matter because there ain't nobody around unless you count the mice.

gravitino
12-04-2014, 22:26
I like these: http://www.hammernutrition.com/

roustabout
12-15-2014, 14:45
Protein shakes are grody.

ninebeans
12-15-2014, 19:05
I use a combination of Nido and whey protein isolate power. You can mix in a little Carnation Instant Breakfast to give it flavor.