PDA

View Full Version : Harmony House dehydrated pouches

Tprunty8
12-04-2014, 18:54
This has probably been discussed before; apologies in advance. I'm looking at the hikers sampler from HH, which is basically 18 pouches of various beans and veggies. They say this makes 45 cups of rehydrated food. My question is, how many meals does that translate to? Has anyone used these? Appreciate your input.

Rocket Jones
12-04-2014, 19:41
On their website is a table showing what a 'serving' is. For some veggies it's a tablespoon, for others it might only be a half. When building a meal using HH veggies, I might start with a half cup of the base (instant mashed, rice, stuffing, pasta or beans), along with a quarter cup of protein and a quarter cup of veggies. If I use mostly one type of veggie (say, corn for a chili mac), I'll also toss in some extra onion and peppers. You'll need to adjust water amounts, and definitely practice at home. I've found that pre-soaking some veggies really helps too.

Tprunty8
12-04-2014, 21:21
I missed that chart on their site, it does help. Thanks

tiptoe
12-05-2014, 10:35
I got the sampler last year, and used parts of it it on my spring section hike, but I didn't keep records or measure much. I just added this and that to the dehydrated meals I already had prepared. I didn't use the dried beans, but this year I will. Everything was very tasty and well worth the price, in my opinion.

Just Bill
12-05-2014, 13:12
Worth getting for sure-
decent rule for me-
1/4-1/3-1/2 cup grains (rice, pasta, quinoa, cous-cous, potato etc) depending on how big you want your meal size.
1/4- cup protein (beans, meats, TVP, nuts)
1/4 cup veggies
Seasonings/broth/bullion as you see fit.

Water to food is 1-1 or so.
You can also dump beans and veggies into store meals or ramen to bulk them up.

Depending on what you like- figure you'll use a 1/4 cup of veggies per meal and a 1/4 cup here and there of the beans.

The sampler is great- you can find what you like.
Shelf stable dried hash browns are usually by the powder instant potatoes and save you some money on those.

Just Bill
12-05-2014, 13:14
Also- nearly everything in there can be eaten as a snack or as part of trail mix. Corn especially.
You can also experiment with cold soups too.

Falcon
12-05-2014, 13:56
I have used HH dried veggies and they are OK. I found that if you do not have time to soak them before cooking they require a long cook time before you can eat them or supplement other foods.

Tprunty8
12-05-2014, 16:12
Thanks guys. I think I'll get the sampler and experiment. Didn't know about dried hash browns. Gonna try that too