PDA

View Full Version : Woody Gap -> Unicoi Gap : January 2015

GABuckeye311
12-05-2014, 08:45
I know, some may say hiking in the middle of the winter is "dumb" but I like it. It feels even more peaceful then normal and I like the cold.

My question is regarding shelters. What would your plan be for staying at shelters on this short 3 day/2 night hike? I am looking at Woody -> Blood Mountain Shelter on Day 1 and then Blood Mountain -> Low Gap Shelter on day 2. I am taking an alternate sleeping arrangement (of course) but will plan on staying at shelters if they are empty, which they should be for the most part. Would anyone think about staying at Neels Gap Hostel? I mentioned Neels Gap Hostel to one of my hiking partners and he said, "Is that really camping?" My response is that I am not out there to camp, I am out there to hike. Would you rather go a mile or two past the shelter and stay off the trail? Anyone have any secret spots along that section they like to stay at?

Thanks in advance!
Buckeye

Abatis1948
12-05-2014, 10:34
Blood Mountain is a very cold shelter and no fires are allowed on Blood Mountain, nor at the Woods Hole Shelter. If you do not plan to have a fire, I would suggest Woods Hole Shelter or descend Blood Mountain and use Neel Gap Hostel or the campsites just passed Neel Gap. Water up before you leave Neel Gap.