PDA

View Full Version : Where is Wild playing?

12-05-2014, 10:50
OK I live in a no nothing town (Hampton Roads)of 1.5 million people and we are so small we do not get to see movies like Wild. I tried to search where it was playing and could not find a single location. Only reviews. Anyone have any links to where it is playing?

Thinspace
12-05-2014, 10:59
I checked my local theaters yesterday but couldn't find it anywhere yet. I gotta see that one on the big screen!

saltysack
12-05-2014, 11:08
Just looked it up on Fandango here in Jacksonville, Florida.....not showing yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tiptoe
12-05-2014, 11:13
not showing yet, but it's listed as "coming soon" at our local theater, which usually shows all the Oscar hopefuls. Patience, patience.

Coffee
12-05-2014, 11:21
It is showing at small theaters in the Washington DC area, not the larger places where most popular films are shown.

No Directions
12-05-2014, 12:02
Not playing in Atlanta but Dumb and Dumber To is. What does that say about us as American's?

tiptoe
12-05-2014, 12:10
http://www.apostrophe.org.uk/

sorry to be so snarky, No Directions, but I'm a recovering copy editor.

Coffee
12-05-2014, 12:18
Seems like Wild isn't being marketed and distributed like a major film which is kind of odd given that Reese Witherspoon is the lead actress... seems like more of a niche distribution, at least at the moment.

saltysack
12-05-2014, 12:25
Guess I'll hope for a bootleg copy or netflix

hikernutcasey
12-05-2014, 12:35
Seems like Wild isn't being marketed and distributed like a major film which is kind of odd given that Reese Witherspoon is the lead actress... seems like more of a niche distribution, at least at the moment.After a quick google search I can't find any information that this film will get a wide release. Makes no sense to me either. I live in NC and I only found one theater showing it and that wasn't until Dec 25.

BuckeyeBill
12-05-2014, 12:38
Could it be a direct to DVD movie.

Tuckahoe
12-05-2014, 13:00
Wild has opened to a limited release, so it's starting in the major markets first and then will spread from there. Wild is a difficult movie to market and is probably opening with limited release to build the word of mouth buzz. So for those of us in our so called no nothing town, it's first opening in DC.

Just Bill
12-05-2014, 13:06
Yar-
Seems to have popped in Chicago, but only two theaters- no release in the burbs.

imscotty
12-05-2014, 13:29
Yikes, I cannot find WILD in Boston. What a tease, I have been waiting for this.

I found the following info online...
"Fox Searchlight opened Wild Wednesday in limited release in New York and L.A. Wild will go to an additional five markets including San Francisco, Chicago, Toronto, Phoenix and Washington, D.C. on Friday to a total of 21 theaters. It will expand further on a limited platform basis over the next month across North America."

Derf
12-05-2014, 13:29
Friday, December 5th:

LA
NYC
Chicago
Phoenix
San Francisco/Berkeley/San Jose
Washington, DC
Toronto

Friday, December 12th:

Pasadena
Austin
Dallas/Ft. Worth
St. Louis
Boston
Detroit
Philadelphia
San Diego
Denver
Seattle
Oakland
Monterey
Santa Cruz
Portland, OR
Baltimore

Friday, December 19th:

Indianapolis
Madison
Milwaukee
Houston
Minneapolis
Kansas City
Memphis
Albany, NY
Hartford/New Haven
Cincinnati
Buffalo
Rochester
Ann Arbor
Stamford
Santa Barbara
Las Vegas
Long Beach
Salt Lake City
Sacramento
Cleveland
Columbus
Charlotte, NC
Raleigh/Durham, NC
Richmond, VA

Connie
12-05-2014, 13:33
In Montana, do we have a big town?

Okay, Great Falls, MT is only 340 miles 'round trip.

Maybe a bootleg copy, with subtitles, at my favorite bay?

Connie
12-05-2014, 13:41
Okay, only the "Official Featurette"

Description:

In Wild, director Jean-Marc Vallee (Dallas Buyers Club), Academy Award winner Reese Witherspoon (Walk the Line) and Academy Award-nominated screenwriter Nick Hornby (An Education) bring bestselling author Cheryl Strayed’s extraordinary adventure to the screen. After years of reckless behavior, a heroin addiction and the destruction of her marriage, Strayed makes a rash decision. Haunted by memories of her mother Bobbi (Academy Award nominee Laura Dern) and with absolutely no experience, she sets out to hike more than a thousand miles on the Pacific Crest Trail all on her own. WILD powerfully reveals her terrors and pleasures as she forges ahead on a journey that maddens, strengthens, and ultimately heals her.

Director: Jean-Marc Vallée
Writers: Nick Hornby
Actors: Reese Witherspoon, Laura Dern, Thomas Sadoski, Gaby Hoffman, Kevin Rankin, Michiel Huisman

Genre: Drama

Run Time: 1 hour 59 minutes

Mags
12-05-2014, 14:08
It's opening now so it can be considered for the Oscars in 2014.

It will be featured in other markets after January.

Pretty common for Oscar-bait worthy films. :)

(And, as I like to remind myself at this time of the year, Raging Bull and Goodfellas did not win best picture or best director Oscars. "Shakespeare in Love" did. 'nuff said about the Oscars and their worth)

Coffee
12-05-2014, 21:10
Just got back from Wild. Strayed is portrayed as a sympathetic character and the movie is a nice "human interest" story. But I don't think that the trail is glamorized much, probably because she skipped the Sierras. Most of the trail looks like the desert. I'm not sure how many thru hikers will be motivated by Wild. If I had to guess, I think that more day and section hikers are likely, not thrus. After all Strayed was a section hiker and that is accurately portrayed.

masonorange
12-06-2014, 11:14
Just got back from Wild. Strayed is portrayed as a sympathetic character and the movie is a nice "human interest" story. But I don't think that the trail is glamorized much, probably because she skipped the Sierras. Most of the trail looks like the desert. I'm not sure how many thru hikers will be motivated by Wild. If I had to guess, I think that more day and section hikers are likely, not thrus. After all Strayed was a section hiker and that is accurately portrayed.

We're in the DC area did you see it? Seems like an E Street or Shirlington type of movie right now

Coffee
12-06-2014, 11:16
E Street theatre between 10th and 11th NW

QHShowoman
12-06-2014, 11:43
We're in the DC area did you see it? Seems like an E Street or Shirlington type of movie right now

It's currently at the Angelika in Merrifield or E Street Cinema in DC. I saw a sneak preview at Nat Geographic last week for free!

2000miler
12-06-2014, 15:51
It's playing at a few theaters here in Chicago - I'm gonna go see a matinee in a few hours!

Wolf - 23000
12-06-2014, 17:05
There really has not been given a lot of attention towards the movie. I'm not saying it is either good or bad but there seems like only a few places are playing it. I haven't seen any TV ads for it at all.

Has anyone seen the movie?

Wolf

Mrs Baggins
12-06-2014, 17:29
We have a 16 screen Regal here in Frederick and it's not on their list. Yet they can waste multiple screens on single movies (gotta have 3D, 3D Imax, regular.......) :(

Feral Bill
12-06-2014, 17:35
Opens here in Spokane late this month. I expect that by then it will be everywhere.

Coffee
12-06-2014, 17:55
FWIW, the 5:15 showing at E street was probably less than half full. Maybe more like 35-40% full. I guess it is a niche film but would have thought that a big name star would attract more people.

Marta
12-06-2014, 23:08
In Montana, do we have a big town?

Okay, Great Falls, MT is only 340 miles 'round trip.

Maybe a bootleg copy, with subtitles, at my favorite bay?

I naively thought it would be showing in Kalispell or Whitefish. Not so. I was actually planning to see it in a movie theater, hoping that the scenery would make it all worthwhile. I guess Netflix it will be, some months hence.

Connie
12-06-2014, 23:17
I have Netflix. I have Hulu Plus.

I think a DVD would be quicker.

Anyone think there will be a DVD?

Kevin108
12-07-2014, 01:06
In 3-6 months, yes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

2000miler
12-07-2014, 12:45
The theater was completely empty here in Chicago yesterday. It was me and 7 or 8 retirees it seemed like.

Agreed that it did not glamorize the trail, and most of the scenic shots made it look like the PCT was desert. It focused on the personal story far more than the trail.

Overall it was... fine. (Not exactly a ringing endorsement, haha). If you're looking for some good nature shots I'd recommend saving yourself 10 bucks. Stay home and watch Planet Earth or an AT documentary instead.

rafe
12-07-2014, 12:54
Given the sparse attendance reports of these early showings, maybe all the fear (about Wild screwing up the PCT) is a bit misplaced. But maybe word hasn't gotten out yet, or the film hasn't been marketed yet. Who knows...

Connie
12-07-2014, 13:20
Early release doesn't get the same advertising.

Does it get the same marketing? Some movie theators only get "their" listed movies.

Hikemor
12-07-2014, 22:00
This week USA Today had a review of "Wild" on Wednesday and a PR piece on Reese Witherspoon/Wild on Thursday. Kind of weird for a limited release film?

Lauriep
12-07-2014, 22:40
Wild currently has a 92 out of 100 score on the Tomatometer (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wild_2014/), and got a very positive review in the New York Times and just about every review I've read.

I just saw it in Bethesda, MD (DC area), and was totally mesmerized. I was blown away, actually. It appealed to me on a very personal level as a solo female long-distance hiker and someone who lost her mother at an age not too different from Cheryl Strayed. So it's hard for me to objectively gauge how others without these life experiences might relate to it.

For what this is worth:
thewrap.com/reese-witherspoons-wild-starts-fast-at-specialty-box-office/ (http://www.thewrap.com/reese-witherspoons-wild-starts-fast-at-specialty-box-office/)

Reese Witherspoon‘s “Wild” got off to a fast start at the specialty box office this weekend, grossing an estimated $630,000 from 21 theaters in seven cities.

That's a impressive $30,000 per-screen average for the Fox Searchlight drama, which was directed by Jean Marc Vallee and written for the screen by Nick Hornby. It's based on the best selling true story written by Cheryl Strayed, “Wild.”

“The film performed well in both art and specialty venues as well as in upscale mainstream complexes indicating to us that it should be able to reach a very broad audience,” said Fox Searchlight sr. vice-president Frank Rodriguez.

There were 16 showings at ArcLight Bethesda today. At 12:45, there were only a dozen or so people (mostly women), but I think that's pretty good for a Sunday matinee. The ticket taker said Wild was in an almost unprecedented 5 of their theaters yesterday (Saturday) and it had a big turnout. It was my first time to the Arclight Bethesda, and yeah, "upscale mainstream complex" is a good description of the theater. It's an hour away from Harpers Ferry, and a world apart.

The character gets a poor grade on Leave No Trace, but her bad practices/mistakes are not glamorized.

Connie
12-07-2014, 23:02
I have been thinking Wild could "play" as an "art film" as well as a "cineplex" drama.

I made up the word "cineplex". I think we have all seen a movie complex like that.

I will look at the reviews, you mentioned, because "reviews" may be all I get in the rural place where I live, and, can be reasonably expected to travel (Montana).

My favorite best review so far is USA Today http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2014/12/04/wild-review/19156705/

Wolf - 23000
12-07-2014, 23:56
I just got back from seeing the movie. I liked it. It remind me of when I first started my AT hike as a 19 yr old skinny kid being able to lift my backpack up. I have to say, as someone who hiked the PCT the first in 1993 I was carrying about 1/4 of what she was carrying. Her pack look crazy heavy!

As a hiker a lot of the humor I was able but it would be interesting to hear what someone who has not hiked long distance though of the movies.

Wolf

Connie
12-08-2014, 00:11
Look at this link: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/mobile/m/wild_2014/

The critic reviews are near the bottom of the page.

These are "city people". Impressive...

slbirdnerd
12-08-2014, 14:08
There is a Q&A with Cheryl about the movie in Backpacker magazine, which came in my mail Friday. I suggest reading the article. She was very involved in the film and keeping things authentic. I was impressed with that. Don't know if we can say the same about "A Walk in the Woods..."

swisscross
12-08-2014, 16:30
There is a Q&A with Cheryl about the movie in Backpacker magazine, which came in my mail Friday. I suggest reading the article. She was very involved in the film and keeping things authentic. I was impressed with that. Don't know if we can say the same about "A Walk in the Woods..."

I too read the article. Very disappointed that most of the movie (the trail part) was not filmed on the PCT and more so that they transplanted non native plants for the filming. Sure hope they removed the plants after filming.

BTW...not showing here.

rhinodyson
12-08-2014, 18:03
I would love to see this movie. I've spent an hour looking for it and I'm in a major metro area...Dallas TX. No where to be found. What's strange is they spend $$ advertising this on TV this weekend in our market. Terrible job of spending money producers. Spend money in a market your not showing the film.

tiptoe
12-10-2014, 09:58
Wild will be shown December 12-18 and possibly longer at Bethel Cinema in Bethel, CT. Looks like it's being shown in two screening rooms over the weekend, but I'd check with the theater before making the trip. 203-778-2100.

Showtimes for Fri., Dec. 12th - Thurs., Dec. 18th
Friday/Saturday
12:55p 2:30p 4:05p 7:00p 7:30p 9:30p 9:55p
Sunday
12:55p 2:30p 4:05p 7:00p 7:30p
Monday/Tuesday
4:05p 7:00p 7:30p
Wednesday
9:45a 12:55p 2:30p 4:05p 7:30p
Thursday
4:05p 7:00p 7:30p

R, 1 hr. 55 min.

rhinodyson
12-12-2014, 02:28
Hello friends, just saw Wild here in Plano opening night. I liked it. Wish i could have seen more of the beautiful scenery and less of her former sex and drug life. However her challenges with the large pack and boots will entertain this group. Lol

Mags
12-12-2014, 12:45
Via the PCTA FB page:

http://theaters.howwilditwas.com/

colorado_rob
12-12-2014, 13:34
Starting in Denver tonight at the Esquire... heading down tomorrow night to see it. Looking forward to it, the reviews I've read sound excellent.

Connie
12-12-2014, 14:51
Hey, Marta!

December 19th "Wild" is playing in Kalispell, MT.
http://theaters.howwilditwas.com

Thank you, Mags.

Connie
12-17-2014, 21:11
There is a different movie trailer for Wild, on Hulu (see: Movie Trailers) and Hulu Plus.

High Side
12-18-2014, 00:10
SO why exactly is everyone whining about this movie increases AT traffic, when its hardly showing anywhere? This, not, Walk in the Woods is exactly going to be like a new Star Wars movie in that regard.....

linus72
12-18-2014, 10:46
I really liked it - I had to also wait several weeks to see it in my town but I think it was worth the wait and very true to the book. The acting was really good, and I love how they integrated all the past as flashbacks. I think it worked really well. I agree that I don't think it will spur that much added interest in backpacking, as the scenery they showed was mostly desert and blazing sun or pouring rain. The rain of course was a reality on my AT section hikes more than a few times, and certainly made me feel pretty good that I could endure that and still want to do it. But I think a good deal of people will be not-so-enticed by the weather extremes and stick to day hikes. Either way, looking forward to seeing it again. Though I will bring the tissues next time. Looking forward to AWITW as well, and love both actors, but worried the major age discrepancy might make it less enjoyable. In the book, they were more my age group. Either way, the AT is my familiar long distance trail, so I think that will be enough to make up for the age difference.

Tipi Walter
12-18-2014, 10:49
Hopefully when it comes to my town I'll be out on a 3 week winter trip . . . .

Damn Yankee
12-18-2014, 12:59
"Wild" is playing in Harrisonburg, Va. tomorrow the 19th at 1:40, 4:30, 7:15 and 10:05. Anyone interested in getting together to see it. I would prefer the 1:40 or 4:30 showing but, for all that work, I'll also go to the 7:15.

gsingjane
12-18-2014, 13:57
A lot of my alumna Scouts are in town for winter break, so when it hits New Haven this weekend, I'll try and organize a viewing party! It should be fun and maybe help get them fired up to go out backpacking again!

Jane

Marta
12-19-2014, 09:47
Hey, Marta!

December 19th "Wild" is playing in Kalispell, MT.
http://theaters.howwilditwas.com

Thank you, Mags.

Funny, I had just checked the listings in Kalispell and found it right before I started perusing WhiteBlaze. I'll be turning out to see it some time this weekend. Trying to figure out which view time will be least disruptive of my skiing/snowshoeing plans.

Damn Yankee
12-19-2014, 19:30
"Wild" is playing in Harrisonburg, Va. tomorrow the 19th at 1:40, 4:30, 7:15 and 10:05. Anyone interested in getting together to see it. I would prefer the 1:40 or 4:30 showing but, for all that work, I'll also go to the 7:15.

Just got back from seeing the movie and thought it was well done. To top it off, you see lots of Reese Witherspoons breast. I know, it's a man thing. Also, damn what a pack she was carrying.

Sly
12-19-2014, 21:18
I'm not sure how many thru hikers will be motivated by Wild. If I had to guess, I think that more day and section hikers are likely, not thrus. After all Strayed was a section hiker and that is accurately portrayed.

Motivated in what regard? Thru-hikers won't go see it because Strayed was a section-hiker? What about aspiring thru-hikers? What motivated you to see it? Will the same hold true for AWITW?

Personally I think hikers of all kinds will go to see it. After all how often is any type of hiking, or long distance trail portrayed on the big screen?

Doc
12-20-2014, 15:35
I saw it yesterday in Waterville, Maine. Good movie. Almost inspired me to get back out west and start on the PCT. I have done the Bridge of the Gods crossing although I was in a RV with my wife driving. That section was thus really easy.

MuddyWaters
12-20-2014, 16:13
I wouldnt say I thought it was a good movie.
Its not really about hiking, or anything in particular.

Its mostly just Cheryl Strayed's story.

If you didnt read the book, putting the flashbacks together so they make sense would be hard. You come away with the idea she was running from herself,but there is no real sense of change or self improvement portrayed. No plot that flows or makes sense.

I dont think this will be a real popular movie, and wouldnt expect much impact on PCT hiking from it. It certainly did nothing to glorify it. In fact, it portrayed it as very lonely and harsh.

MuddyWaters
12-20-2014, 16:15
double post

bigcranky
12-20-2014, 16:58
Wild just opened at a/perture cinema in downtown Winston-Salem, for anyone in central NC. (That's the name of the theatre, btw, not a typo. :) )

rickb
12-20-2014, 17:36
Its in the Boston burbs now.

I thought the the movie was terrific at every level.

Best way to watch would be in the company of some woman hikers, with whom to talk about it afterwards, I'd think.

12-22-2014, 12:11
WILD, CAME TO TOWN and having last been to a movie theater to see Star Wars I was very impressed. My feet did not stick to the floor and the sound worked and the movie was very good. Who was in the theater on a Sunday afternoon at 4:10? Women, grey haired yuppies wearing LL Bean and Marmot and North Face jackets. Maybe they will go into the woods but I doubt it. I was surprised there were 10 women to one man in the audience. You should have heard the audience when she pulled out her toenail. Sounded like I was at fireworks, oooh aaah. Kind of funny I pull out toe nails every time I hike for more than a week. It was very well done and I will watch it again. It is a movie I would read to book first, for sure, though.

Praha4
12-22-2014, 12:13
It finally arrived here in the Redneck Riviera Panama City Beach.... Pier Park Grand Cinema. Think I'll go see it today

HogFan
12-22-2014, 12:49
Opened here in Fayetteville, Arkansas over the weekend.
The wife and I shall go see it this coming weekend.

RED-DOG
12-23-2014, 11:33
it's getting more play here on WB than it is in the theaters.

Getty
12-23-2014, 12:06
My wife and I saw Wild Friday night In Athens, Ohio.Not a large crowd(a dozen or so) for opening night,mostly older folks like ourselves. Enjoyed the movie.

fredmugs
12-23-2014, 12:17
WILD, CAME TO TOWN and having last been to a movie theater to see Star Wars I was very impressed. My feet did not stick to the floor and the sound worked and the movie was very good. Who was in the theater on a Sunday afternoon at 4:10? Women, grey haired yuppies wearing LL Bean and Marmot and North Face jackets. Maybe they will go into the woods but I doubt it. I was surprised there were 10 women to one man in the audience. You should have heard the audience when she pulled out her toenail. Sounded like I was at fireworks, oooh aaah. Kind of funny I pull out toe nails every time I hike for more than a week. It was very well done and I will watch it again. It is a movie I would read to book first, for sure, though.

I hike locally in a group with women as you describe ages 50 - 70 and I'm pretty sure they could out hike a guy who watches Star Wars movies. #seewhatIdidthere?

12-23-2014, 15:12
I hike locally in a group with women as you describe ages 50 - 70 and I'm pretty sure they could out hike a guy who watches Star Wars movies. #seewhatIdidthere?

Watched "a" star war movie and what does "out hike" mean? faster? longer? Anyone can hike faster than me, cus I carry the grocery store on my back. Ham and eggs, biscuits and sausage, cheese, a whole chicken. Now can they out cook me in the woods? No. I have a great time! I do not make miles but I carry smiles :).

rickb
12-23-2014, 18:54
So, did anyone else get choked up at the end?

I did. Not sure why though. Definitely not my normal reaction to anything on film.

I was going to turn in my man card, but I couldn't find it.

colorado_rob
12-23-2014, 19:10

I did. Not sure why though. Definitely not my normal reaction to anything on film.

I was going to turn in my man card, but I couldn't find it.My wife cried, like a, er, woman. I sniffled. Do I get my man-card revoked?

QHShowoman
12-23-2014, 19:22
I cried at the scene where she runs into the little boy and his grandmother in the woods.

Mags
12-23-2014, 19:35
I sniffled. Do I get my man-card revoked?

Naaah... Why? Because real men aren't afraid to express emotion, of course.

Of course, my people are known to be a bit on the passionate side. ;)

Being serious (Who? Me?), the Mrs and I plan on seeing the movie tomorrow night. Being the good lapsed Catholics we are without kids, we'll probably get Chinese food before the movie.

As with your wife (I believe?) my wife, too, is into the outdoors but has not done a long distance hike. Curious as to what her reaction will be.

I've read the book. I thought it was OK. 3 out of 5. We'll see if I like the movie better.

What I don't think is OK is all the hate towards the book from the hiking community. But that's another story...

ps. In response to the "gray hair yuppie" comment. My wife, who does not have gray hair, also looks put together when she goes outdoors. As she likes to remind me, looking like a bum is not a requisite for being a "real" outdoors person. It is an ongoing project with her. She's right, mind you. Just don't tell her I said that. ;)

bigcranky
12-23-2014, 21:57
I sniffled. Do I get my man-card revoked?

My wife and I just got back from "Glen Campbell, I'll Be Me," a documentary on his struggle with Alzheimer's disease and his final tour. We both cried through the whole thing. Much of that was due to her father's struggle with Alzheimer's (and it didn't help that he looked so much like her dad they could have been brothers.) We'll go see Wild next week.

Many Moons
12-23-2014, 23:33
Raleigh, NC. was just OK!

Praha4
12-24-2014, 16:44
Just saw "Wild", and it was much better movie than I expected, it was a great story, now want to read the book. I could relate to the scene where she threw her hiking boot off the ledge after losing the first boot and a toe nail. There's a lot of speculation out there that this movie will inspire a lot of wannabe hikers to get off the couch and try a thru hike next year. I think this movie will inspire a lot of female hikers to try a thru hike. But that phenomena has already been occurring with our without this movie. But what I liked most was it was much more than just a story about hiking, it was a deeply personal story of one young woman's struggles in real life, and how it led to the hike.

tiptoe
12-24-2014, 16:53
I read the book after seeing the movie, and I found the book more satisfying, in that you got a much better idea of the emotional growth and healing. The writing is focused and compelling, and it's a pretty quick read. Enjoy.

imscotty
12-24-2014, 19:46

I was going to turn in my man card, but I couldn't find it.

It was that little kid she met on the trail. Adorable beyond belief. He deserves the Oscar.

tiptoe
12-24-2014, 20:09
The little kid was great. And, for entirely different reasons, so was the clueless journalist from Hobo Times.

chiefduffy
12-24-2014, 22:15
I liked the movie better than the book. The movie was more positive.

Jim Adams
12-24-2014, 23:27
I thought it was a great movie but it is not a hiking movie. It is a movie about how the trail can get your head and life back together and lets the non-hiker understand that feeling. It truly helps the non-hiker to see why we hike but it surely is not a hiking movie. I thought that it accomplished to the watcher what Cheryl wanted the hike to do.