PDA

View Full Version : Section hike Georgia 5 days next year

rhinodyson
12-05-2014, 12:31
June 2015 with my teenage boys. Thoughts around gear. I hear its rain season at that time. Also where would you finish the hike? Helen GA?

AO2134
12-05-2014, 13:53
Kinda depends on your anticipated MPD and experience level.

You can end at Unicoi Gap (53 miles) for ~10 mpd. You can push to Dicks Creek Gap (69.6 miles) for 14 mpd.

I'd say Unicoi Gap is a good stopping point, especially if you or your kids are beginners.

Have you decided whether or not to do the approach trail?

Abatis1948
12-05-2014, 14:11
If need be, you can bail out at several of the gaps between Springer and Woody Gap, just call someone for a shuttle beforehand. Several places along the trail has real good phone reception for Version. You can hike to Neel Gap or Hog Pen Gap for two more options. You have very good chance of getting wet. Carry dry changing of clothes for camp or sleep. You can change back into the we clothes while hiking. Get a good map. The ATC or a good outfitter will have maps for that section. Have some neat places to visit along e trail, if you want directions.

daddytwosticks
12-05-2014, 17:28
Depends what part of June. Early in the month would probably be drier and cooler. Humidity and afternoon showers start ramping up as early summer starts. Nice long days though. :)

FatMan
12-05-2014, 18:29
Early June may be hot. Late June will be hot.

bigcranky
12-06-2014, 00:13
We did our first family section hike in early June, 2003. We had frost on our tarps the first two mornings, otherwise decent weather. In '04 and '5 we went later in June and into early July and it got fairly warm and regular afternoon thunderstorms. In June in the South I bring some sort of warm layer, if only a thin fleece pullover, and I bring some sort of rain shell.

If you start at the park and hike the Approach Trail, five days will put you anywhere from Neels Gap to Unicoi Gap. If you are in astoundingly good hiking shape, you might make it to Dick's Creek Gap. There are plenty of places to get off the trail and get back to your car. I'd park at The Hiker Hostel and get a shuttle to the trailhead, then have them pick me up.

Jeff
12-06-2014, 10:54
Another vote for Hiker Hostel. They are the resident experts on the AT in Georgia and offer a clean, comfortable accommodation. www.hikerhostel.com

rhinodyson
12-08-2014, 14:12
Thank you all for your thoughts

rhinodyson
12-08-2014, 14:13
A02134 yes we plan to do the approach

rhinodyson
12-08-2014, 14:14
If need be, you can bail out at several of the gaps between Springer and Woody Gap, just call someone for a shuttle beforehand. Several places along the trail has real good phone reception for Version. You can hike to Neel Gap or Hog Pen Gap for two more options. You have very good chance of getting wet. Carry dry changing of clothes for camp or sleep. You can change back into the we clothes while hiking. Get a good map. The ATC or a good outfitter will have maps for that section. Have some neat places to visit along e trail, if you want directions.

Thank you yes!

rhinodyson
12-08-2014, 14:48
Another vote for Hiker Hostel. They are the resident experts on the AT in Georgia and offer a clean, comfortable accommodation. www.hikerhostel.com (http://www.hikerhostel.com)

Can you provide any suggestion on logistics? We're going to do the approach trail where would you spend the night prior to departure? Wanted to get an early start. Also, which night would you think we would be at hikerhostel? thanks

rhinodyson
12-08-2014, 15:07
Assuming we could do 8-10 mpd. I read "a walk in the woods" and it seems the approach trail is difficult so I'm thinking that would take us the better part of a day.

takethisbread
12-08-2014, 15:11
Can you provide any suggestion on logistics? We're going to do the approach trail where would you spend the night prior to departure? Wanted to get an early start. Also, which night would you think we would be at hikerhostel? thanks

Hiker hostel is the best, and can give any last minute tweaks or advice. And they will shuttle u to trail and pick u up at end of hike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daddytwosticks
12-08-2014, 17:19
Assuming we could do 8-10 mpd. I read "a walk in the woods" and it seems the approach trail is difficult so I'm thinking that would take us the better part of a day.

The Approach Trail is not that difficult in my opinion. If you are worried, just start at the top of the falls near the Lodge to avoid the stairs. I am an average shape section hiker. :)