PDA

View Full Version : Planning extended section hike from NY/CT line NOBO April 2015

Nimbus
12-05-2014, 19:02
I am planning to start in early to mid April 2015 and will try to finish NOBO. I average 12-15 miles a day and will stay in hotels or other accommodations every 3rd or 4th as long as not too far from the trail. Let me know if you have interest.

Second Hand
12-05-2014, 21:03
You may want to delay your hike by a few weeks. You can't hike through several sections of VT until after Memorial day.

Slo-go'en
12-05-2014, 22:35
Actually you can hike the AT in Vermont at any time of year, but doing so in the spring "mud" season is strongly discouraged. Once the snow melts the rest of Vermont is off limits until it dries up (a little) in June. Even June can be iffy. That pretty much applies to all of New England. It's hard on the trail and a miserable time of year to hike up this way. If you want to hike in April, stay in North Carolina. That's were I go to hike in April and May.

BTW, hostels get really scarce and far apart north of the Mason-Dixon line. There are a couple but if you want to stay off the trail every 3-4 days you need deep pockets to pay for B+B's or motel rooms as it will be expensive.

freightliner
12-05-2014, 22:57
I can only think this hiker is not from New England. So let me just say this.

BLACK FLIES AKA MAY FLIES!!!!

Oh yeah and how about the mosquitoes around all them beaver ponds in Massachusetts.

Oh man I'm starting to itch just thinking about it.

burger
12-05-2014, 23:47
I can only think this hiker is not from New England. So let me just say this.

BLACK FLIES AKA MAY FLIES!!!!

Oh yeah and how about the mosquitoes around all them beaver ponds in Massachusetts.

Oh man I'm starting to itch just thinking about it.
+10000000 (also, that's the number of blackflies that are going to be swarming around your face from sunrise to sunset in Vermont, NH, and ME if you stick with your April start.

My advice: start somewhere in the South in April, or put off your hike til summer.

speedbump
01-09-2015, 18:26
I am in Vermont, you actually can hike year round. But, you have a point. It is not so much the trails (they get muddy everywhere), but the roads can get rutty enough to eat a car.

You may want to delay your hike by a few weeks. You can't hike through several sections of VT until after Memorial day.

Nimbus
01-19-2015, 14:52
Thank you for your response, I can hike fast on flat land… lol. I am retired from medicine. I started 2 years ago with the intent of thru hiking, but went back to work after getting into VA. Since only section hiking although many have been long sections.

full conditions
01-19-2015, 15:30
Thank you for your response, I can hike fast on flat land… lol. I am retired from medicine. I started 2 years ago with the intent of thru hiking, but went back to work after getting into VA. Since only section hiking although many have been long sections.
In that case, I'd pick up where you left off in Virginia. A long section hike north from anywhere in southern or central Virginia would be way, way better than hitting New England that time of year. In fact, that would put you out ahead of the thru hiker hoard into PA and northward. That would be my vote.

Lyle
01-19-2015, 19:53
I wouldn't attempt VT in spring. I hiked the southern section in Sept. and was still cursing the mud on many days. VERY wet state with mud for trails.

oldwetherman
01-19-2015, 21:50
I'm planning on starting in Duncannon Pa. on May 20th and going north. I've read just about all I can find on the internet about the mud season and black fly season in New England. I realize that that the weather can greatly influence the mud and the bugs but I would very much appreciate any feedback from White Blaze members that live in the New England states... Is my May 20th start date reasonable? I should be averaging 15-20 miles a day. I've coped with the black flys in Canada before so I'm mostly concerned with doing unnecessary damage to muddy trails. Thanks for your input.

Nimbus
01-20-2015, 12:26
Thank you, but since I stopped in VA quite a while ago I have hiked north well into CT already.

Slo-go'en
01-20-2015, 13:45
I'm planning on starting in Duncannon Pa. on May 20th and going north.

Yes, that's reasonable. Actually, it could be getting pretty hot by then. I did PA in May once, finishing up at the DWG around Memorial weekend. That last day into the Gap was a heat index advisory day and if the hostel had been two steps farther away I would have passed out from heat stroke!