PDA

View Full Version : Canada, Eh?

Just Bill
12-06-2014, 15:04
So I haven't (officially) crossed the border in many years, and not since 9/11.
My family may be visiting some folks in Rochester, NY traveling via minivan from Chicago.

Looking at the map it appears we can perhaps take a swing through Canada via Detroit, save some time, see new country, and take a gander at the great Niagara in the bargain. Or swing via Cleveland if needed but going Canada bound sounds more fun eh?

My wife and I have passports, the two chitlens (4 year old and 6 month old) don't. When I crossed as a yout we simply presented birth certificates at the border for those of us too young to have photo ID.

So the question- is this still a viable option? Or does everyone need a passport and photo ID these days?
Figured there's enough folks here with practical experience of visiting out neighbor to the north.

About the only thing we would have to declare might be some beers to take to transplanted friends and some dirty diapers.

ocasey3
12-06-2014, 15:12
http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/canada.html

I think this page has the information you need.

Just Bill
12-06-2014, 15:22
http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/canada.html

I think this page has the information you need.
It does- under 16 is still just a birth certificate.
Thanks to you in lovely Baaaaahr Hahbar.

That was no fun though... was hoping at least there'd be some BS and funny stories before I got a serious post :mad:

ocasey3
12-06-2014, 15:44
Sorry, Bill, wish I had something more interesting to add. I will say this, if you are looking at going to Niagara, do it from the Canadian side. I've done both and the Canadians are really doing it better. Oh, but do make sure your girlfriend isn't hiding contraband. That's all I'm gonna say about that...
;)

Connie
12-06-2014, 16:54
Do not make jokes, at a border crossing. Not one joke. Not a shred of a sense of humor.

I live near the US-Canada border. No one says eh. No jokes, okay? Not at the border crossing.

Not later, much, either, if any: I don't get to share funny stories with my Canadian friends.

I don't know. Maybe it is "undignified".

I do know the US-Canada border is "sensitive" about traveling with children, that are not your children. My oldest brother and his wife liked to take the grandkids. The border officials explained they get grandparents bringing grandchildren over the border during a separation or a divorce. Traveling with children is a sensitive topic. Not a smirk. No jokes.

Odd Man Out
12-06-2014, 17:12
Can't help with the kids. Ours our grown. But we drive to Canada all the time (sister-in-law lives in Ontario). I might suggest using the Blue Water Bridge (Port-Huron/Sarnia) rather than the bridge or tunnel in Detroit. I94 is the suckiest interstate I know. You can cut off some of it by picking up I69 by Marshall. Or you can cut off more but taking I196/96 via Grand Rapids (my town). When you get to GR, take the M6 south bypass, unless you want to stop in downtown BEER CITY USA (let me know if you need beer shopping/drinking info). Going this way you get to avoid Detroit (unless you really want to see Detroit aka NOT beer city), although you still have to drive through Flint (but you don't have to stop - really not beer city).

The view from the Blue Water Bridge is pretty nice. The Ambassador Bridge (view: meh) is owned by some rich guy who buys politicians to maintain his monopoly (blech). You can guess what the view from the tunnel is like. The drive to London (where you rejoin the southern route) on 196/96/402 is kind of boring, but I prefer it to dodging most of the semi-trucks in North America going across I94. The back-up at the border can be bad but sometimes there is none at all. It pretty unpredictable. It's been a long time since I've crossed at Niagra Falls. As pointed out above, view the falls from the Canada side. It's still a tourist trap, but at least it's an attractive tourist trap. We always crossed the Rainbow Bridge (right by the falls). Never had much problem. The other crossings are on the highway and much more crowded. But we always seemed to get lost in Niagra Fall NY trying to get back to the highway (pre-GPS days).

And when driving through Canada you can drive 110 mph on the highway. When the cops are hauling you off to jail, just say "but officer, the sign said speed limit 110". Let me know if that works. ;-)

rafe
12-06-2014, 17:20
Many years ago we were crossing into Canada at Niagara Falls. I was driving. When asked about the purpose of our visit, I answered truthfully that we were on our way to a karate tournament in Toronto. This seemed to concern the man in the booth. My wife leaned over to address the man in the booth. "But we're only white belts," she said. That brought a smile to his face and a moment later we were on our way.

Coffee
12-06-2014, 17:57
I've traveled to many countries and, by far, the most intense "interrogations" have always been upon entry to Canada. I have no idea why. I had fewer questions entering Israel which really surprised me. And most other countries the bored customs agent simply rubber stamps the passport and that's that.

rickb
12-06-2014, 18:33
Bill,

If your relatives suggest going to Wegman's supermarket as a fun outing, be sure not to make fun of them. It is thie version of Mecca. Feign excitement and ask them about Danny's new Ferrrari. Seriously, don't laugh at them.

You may also ask about where to find the best garbage plate.

Connie
12-06-2014, 18:39
110 KPH kilometers per hour = 68 MPH miles per hour

Seatbelts, etal. If you get a ticket, in Canada, it affects your insurance in the United States.

Not guilty, is not "good enough". If "The Crown" (prosecution) withdraws the charge, then no problem. They did for me, but the officer remembered he pushed the door shut. I was getting out of the vehicle.

I used to go up to Canada for cross-border shopping often. My favorite was "Super Tuesday". I called it Super Tuesday. It was the first Tuesday of the month: 40% to 60% off at the best grocery stores ever. Well, compared to Montana grocery stores, their grocery stores are fantastic. Extra Thick steaks in family packs. Muscovy duck. In comparison to greater San Francisco grocery stores, their grocery stores in Leithbridge, Alberta are excellent. Maybe that grocery store really is that good.

My amateur radio friends actually took me, after overnight at their house, on into Leithbridge for fish-and-chips and beer, then, shopping. It can be an event, especially if canadians are your host.

rafe
12-06-2014, 18:42
I've traveled to many countries and, by far, the most intense "interrogations" have always been upon entry to Canada. I have no idea why. I had fewer questions entering Israel which really surprised me. And most other countries the bored customs agent simply rubber stamps the passport and that's that.

Depends in large part on what you look like and where you've been. Decades ago my friend and I were detained for an hour or two at the border entering Switzerland from Italy at the St. Bernard tunnel in the Alps. The Swiss border agents could see from our passports that we'd been in Morocco a couple of months earlier and must have figured we were running drugs. They started taking our car apart, removed wheels and tail lights, etc.

russb
12-06-2014, 20:03
If you want to do any hiking while you are here, let me know and I can point you in the right direction.

russb
12-06-2014, 20:09
I recently returned from a trip overseas. Border crossings even for the same country can be inconsistent. The two that have taken the longest for me were Russia and the U.S.

When I was a baby, my parents were driving to Canada by way of Niagara Falls. Since they looked like typical hippies, the border agent had them pull to the side and began detailed questioning. They also looked through the car, when the agent started to put his hand into a bag my father told him to stop, that he didn't want to do that. Abruptly, the agent asked why not. My father pointed to me and said he has soiled his share of diapers on this trip, you really don't want to put your hand in there.

freightliner
12-06-2014, 20:14
I got something for you to think about before you cross the border you may want to fill your tank full of gas. They pay almost double than what we pay. If you happen to have to buy something while you're up there be sure to use your bank card or credit card so you don't have a handful of loonies and Tooney's. You will also get the exact exchange rate. On your way home if you go through Cleveland that should be right about the spot where you going to need to stretch your leg and the Rock 'n roll Hall of Fame is there. One more thing if you going to bring a pet be sure to have the vet papers or they'll turn you around.

DavidNH
12-06-2014, 20:40
Expect your car to be searched at customs.. going to Canada and possibly coming back into USA as well. They may not search but they often do. I presume you are clean (i.e. no criminal record) because if you aren't, they will know and you won't get into Canada. At the border be all business and be friendly.

Ditto about the gas. Way cheaper on this side of border. Exchange rate is now near par.

You do need a passport.

DavidNH

Just Bill
12-06-2014, 20:44
Bill,

If your relatives suggest going to Wegman's supermarket as a fun outing, be sure not to make fun of them. It is thie version of Mecca. Feign excitement and ask them about Danny's new Ferrrari. Seriously, don't laugh at them.

You may also ask about where to find the best garbage plate.
Funny- the husband in the family we are going to visit works for Wegman's. Least I have an inside joke to share now- though he is an Afgan Vet- so if the Ferrari line is fatal please let me know:eek:

OMO- as usual- your post may require a map and some research but thanks!

I believe my speedometer in the Honda has a metric setting, worst case I will wear my size 46 shoe to avoid a lead foot and declare a full tank of gas prior to entry.

My only official border crossing into Canada was in the boundary waters at ages 16 and 17, I was carrying a gun which like any good gun toting outdoorsman did not declare. No issues at all, but fairly irresponsible I suppose.

No one showed up when I relieved myself on Canada on the LT either for that matter.

Canadians were my favorite people to party with when my wife and I used to take the all inclusive style trips, with the exception of the one-legged swede who handily drank me under the swim up bar, the Canadians by far were the most fun. Or maybe it's just that their passivity allows them to take my abrasive humor without visible insult.

Excepting also the three mother/daughter pairs (40s and 18 year olds celebrating HS graduation) from Wisconsin we met in Jamaica. That was a pleasant border crossing, but as I am now a father with a daughter I don't believe I'm allowed to discuss such things any longer without being creepy.

Thanks and keep em coming- especially any Niagara Tips- or if it's even worth it? Sounds like I might be driving into Gatlinburg Eh?.

freightliner
12-06-2014, 21:07
To me the best place to see the Falls is up in the needle. No matter how thick the glass floor is I just can't walk across it. I was going to say to stop in Ripley's believe it or not but it might not be the best place for a four-year-old and a six-year-old. With those two all I can say is good luck.

Odd Man Out
12-06-2014, 21:27
Gatlinburg is a good caparison. At NF, all you really need to do is get to the Table Rock Visitors Center.

http://goo.gl/maps/r8xOy
http://www.niagaraparks.com/niagara-falls-attractions/table-rock-complex.html

Take the QEW (Queen Elizabeth Way) highway to NF. Get off on route 420 (the main road into town). When you get the end of the highway, the road splits (left to USA, right to the falls). Go right. This will take you to Niagra Parkway - the road that goes through a rather nice park along the river. The Table Rock Visitor's Center is at the lip of the falls, 1.2 km on the left. Parking can be a problem sometimes.

http://www.niagaraparks.com/about-niagara-falls/parking-niagara-falls.html

At the visitor's center you can buy crap, eat at Tim Hortons (they won't let you out of the country unless you can prove you've eaten at TH), and get the absolute best view of both falls. From there you can walk pedestrian path down river with good views of the falls and very nice parks. The falls really are pretty impressive.

To get to USA, just retrace your steps to the bridge. But just before the bridge, turn left and go up Clfton Hill to see all the stupid stuff.

http://goo.gl/maps/rfY0X

All this silliness does have one redeeming value. It is said that the tacky commercial development at NF inspired the US to develop its National Parks to preserve its natural wonders and protect them from the same fate that Niagara Falls suffered.

BCPete
12-06-2014, 21:59
Canadians have the same thing ... in reverse. :)

Another Kevin
12-06-2014, 22:09
I do know the US-Canada border is "sensitive" about traveling with children, that are not your children. My oldest brother and his wife liked to take the grandkids. The border officials explained they get grandparents bringing grandchildren over the border during a separation or a divorce. Traveling with children is a sensitive topic. Not a smirk. No jokes.

Yes indeed. If you are traveling with a child and the other parent isn't along, bring along a notarized affidavit from the other parent giving the child permission to travel. If you're chaperoning other peoples kids, bring along affidavits from both parents. In the case where there's a widowed parent, bring along a certified death certificate for the dear departed.

RADHiker
12-06-2014, 22:19
The customs agents are much chattier when sending you home....imagine that, eh?

Another Kevin
12-06-2014, 22:24
Thanks and keep em coming- especially any Niagara Tips- or if it's even worth it? Sounds like I might be driving into Gatlinburg Eh?.

The Canadian side has all the best views of the Falls. From the American side you're above them, from the Canadian you're across the river looking at them. It's also crowded with tourists. If you feel the need to stretch your legs, try walking down to the Whirlpool. It's just a couple of miles, but it's a nice peaceful interlude. Trail map is online. (http://www.niagaraparks.com/niagara-falls-attractions/niagara-glen.html) Look for the faces that the First Peoples carved in the rock to mark the boundaries of their nations. And the Silurian fossils - some of the limestone there is loaded with them. You can even spot them in the building stone at Table Rock.

bigcranky
12-06-2014, 23:20
No one showed up when I relieved myself on Canada on the LT either for that matter.

Figured I wasn't the only one who did this... :) What can I say, I was excited.

Went to Quebec City on a vacation up north a few years ago with our daughter. Straight up through NY then to QC then across to Maine. My Yukon was crammed with camping gear and other travel stuff. I honestly didn't have trouble at either border crossing - both sides were friendly and professional. I was more worried about coming back into the USA at a rural crossing in Maine.

Quebec City during their summer music festival was terrific. Good food, good beer, very European atmosphere, though the crowds got a little large in some places.

Northern Lights
12-07-2014, 00:14
Yes, for God's sake don't joke with Canadians, we have absolutely no sense of humour and we absolutely never ever say eh, at least that is what we tell ourselves and anyone else who never hears us talk. I know this to be fact, because I hiked with someone from Indianapolis and he at one point said, you sure like to say eh. And after arguing with him that I NEVER said eh, he said ok, I'll say it every time you say it. I'm Canadian and I say eh.

On a final note, please keep your pee in your own country :P

hikeandbike5
12-07-2014, 09:44
fill your tank up at the last gas station before you cross the border.
gas is very very expensive in canada. along with everything else.

Another Kevin
12-07-2014, 10:46
Yes, for God's sake don't joke with Canadians, we have absolutely no sense of humour....
I think the point was that you should never, ever, joke with Customs or Immigration agents. Canadian or otherwise.

Connie
12-07-2014, 10:58
Northern Lights, The Canadians, I know, at our Glacier-Waterton International Ham Fest (amateur radio) will joke around: we only see a 'subtle and silly' sense of hunor.

Anything whatsoever right out there, like, How about next year you bring Canadian bacon and we will bring Virginia ham and we will have "hams across the border" and they will look at you either like they don't "get" it, or, you are an idiot and "we" are too polite to say so; that is my experience.

I have heard no one, in Alberta, say "eh".

Odd Man Out
12-07-2014, 11:01
We too have run into the question about children trafficking/abduction so be sure to have all your papers in order.

Another good place to get out and stretch your legs is the Royal Botanic Gardens in Hamilton, just off 403 after you cross Hamiton Harbor on the way to NF.

Don't pick on the Canadians. You should never joke with ANY border crossing official, duh.

Here's another natural oddity about that area. A forestry professor at a University in Canada had a student study the small trees that cling to the side of the Niagara Escarpment cliff that runs through downtown Hamilton and past the Royal Gardens. Despite the fact the trees were only a couple of feet tall, they turned out to be 400 years old. They were surprised to find a previously unknown, intact old growth forest ecosystem right in the middle of the most densely populated part of the country.

Coffee
12-07-2014, 11:18
The weirdest interaction I had with a customs official was upon returning to the US from Amsterdam where I had picked up some tulip bulbs which were approved for entry into the US. After being diverted to the agricultural inspection lane, I had a casual conversation with the ag inspector on the best varieties of tulips and the right time to plant in our climate.

My entry into Canada was for business. I was selling software at the time. The customs guy thought that I literally had CDs in my bags and that I was evading tax when the type of software I was selling was for an enterprise installation and not physically delivered at all, with import duties handled by the home office. My colleague was laughing his ass off as I was searched and interrogated. He just said he was in Canada for "meetings" which was accurate.

Northern Lights
12-07-2014, 11:31
Northern Lights, The Canadians, I know, at our Glacier-Waterton International Ham Fest (amateur radio) will joke around: we only see a 'subtle and silly' sense of hunor.

Anything whatsoever right out there, like, How about next year you bring Canadian bacon and we will bring Virginia ham and we will have "hams across the border" and they will look at you either like they don't "get" it, or, you are an idiot and "we" are too polite to say so; that is my experience.

I have heard no one, in Alberta, say "eh".

Connie, it was meant to be funny, to kind of show Canadians do have a sense of humour. I have never crossed at that spot but have crossed a little further down, both the US and CAD officers were fine. No you wouldn't want to joke around about criminal activity whatever crossing you are at. I find if you are just honest about what you are doing you will be fine. I pulled up to the CAD border once with 12 bottles of raspberry wine from a winery in ND, rolled down my window and said I have 12 bottles of wine, all he said was have a good weekend. Like anything else be respectful and you will be fine.

To the original poster, the falls are magnificent. The town itself reminds me of Gatlinburg.

rafe
12-07-2014, 11:46
I've heard Gatlinburg referred to as the Niagara Falls of the South. From my experience with both, I'd say that's fairly apropos.

Bronk
12-07-2014, 11:52
I grew up close to the border and used to travel to the falls every summer. Our schools went on field trips to the falls and to Toronto. I bet they can't do that anymore. You just drove across and nobody even asked you for ID. Needing a passport to cross is just asinine. The last time I went back home to visit we went to the US side of the falls.

rickb
12-07-2014, 12:07
My understanding is that Canadian custom's agents have good access to the criminal records of US Citizens, and that they have turned people away at the border with old DUI convictions and non-criminal alcohol related violations, as well as possession convictions and non-criminal possession violations.

Connie
12-07-2014, 12:32
I have heard that, although England will accept "completed" and I have heard Canada never separated from England. But I don't know that.

I live near the US-Canada border. They have turned back people for smoking pot in their college days, now in their 60's. When I was in college, we did not have or use drugs. I think if we did have or use drugs, they would have dismantled the vehicle. We heard about that happening.

When I was in college, nevertheless, the border officials asked: How long will you be in Canada? We answered: Up for the day.

The response? "Enjoy your stay in Canada".

I miss that!

I am completely unwilling to get a passport, at considerable expense, to do cross-border shopping.

rafe
12-07-2014, 12:52
I am completely unwilling to get a passport, at considerable expense, to do cross-border shopping.

There are other good reasons to have a passport.

sfdoc
12-07-2014, 12:56
Several years ago, I went to Niagara Falls. I asked if I could go to tan Canadian side w/o a passport but w/ a retiree Military ID card. I was politely but firmly told NO. When I was a little kid, about 7, my Grandfather and I crossed over in the 1000 Island area w/o passports, no problem. Thank you 9/11.

rickb
12-07-2014, 13:02
I have heard that, although England will accept "completed" and I have heard Canada never separated from England. But I don't know that.

I live near the US-Canada border. They have turned back people for smoking pot in their college days, now in their 60's. When I was in college, we did not have or use drugs. I think if we did have or use drugs, they would have dismantled the vehicle. We heard about that happening.

When I was in college, nevertheless, the border officials asked: How long will you be in Canada? We answered: Up for the day.

The response? "Enjoy your stay in Canada".

I miss that!

You could get a passport card at about 1/2 the cost.

Times change. We had a family of Mexican Nationals visiting when I was still living in Rochester years ago. When we crossed over to the Canadian side by car, the Canadians directed us to the custom's office area. When one member of the family informed us right before we got out that they didn't have a visa, my Dad's solution was simple-- he told her to stay in the backseat while the rest of us when inside for processing. Problem solved. I don't think that would be a good approach today.

bamboo bob
12-07-2014, 13:16
As a single parent I took my two kids to Canada from Boston in 1980's. They only asked if they were my kids. And waved me through. On the way home waved me through. No passports nothing. Niagara Falls. ln the 90's some friends from Buffalo went over the Peace bridge for lunch. One of them was Korean and didn't have his passport. He was detained in Canada for about a month. All pre 9/11.

Mags
12-07-2014, 13:38
How Canada rec'd its name.

The two mighty French fur trappers, Jacque and Henri, were at a high point somewhere in the Canadian Rockies.

They looked over this vast land of high mountains, thick forest, large rivers and bountiful wildlife and thought it needed a name.

Henri says, "Jacque, I have in my sachet some random tiles with letters on them. You pull out the letters, and that is how we will name this beautiful land".

Jacque agrees. He starts pulling out the letters.

He holds them up one by one and says it out loud while overlooking the vast valley:
"C" 'eh?
"N" 'eh?
"D" 'eh?

And that is how Canada received its name.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081023004830/uncyclopedia/images/7/7c/Themoreyouknow.jpg

Just Bill
12-07-2014, 17:31
If this happens-
We will be doing an overnight drive to keep the kiddies happy- so Chicago to Niagara will be all at night- but OMO's route looks to be the better one. We'll also only be there a few hours, so Kevin's suggestion of a little park in the madness to take a short stroll will likely be best. This is more of a bonus stop along the way. Thanks for all the suggestions; I'll avoid smuggling my own children (unless they are paying that much for them:-? )
I'll hide the PCP in the diaper bag- great tip!

Northern Lights- Seems some of these pushy humorless Americans could learn a few things from a Canadian Eh? Get a few beers, eh- probably a hockey game we can catch eh?

At least we can all agree- nobody likes them filthy frenchers- but they aren't really Canooks.

Oops almost forgot- emoticons will make it all clear. :sun:banana:rolleyes::banana:cool::rolleyes::welco me

Odd Man Out
12-07-2014, 23:14
The one border rule I found odd is the fresh fruit thing. The often ask "do you have any fresh fruit?" I will then say I have a banana left over from lunch, but I then offer to eat it. They say that's not necessary. It seems you can't import fresh fruit in a lunch bag, but it's ok if it's in your stomach. PS, they never confiscate the fruit.

hikeandbike5
12-07-2014, 23:30
get a passport card then. significantly cheaper than a regular passport.

LIhikers
12-08-2014, 01:01
And don't even think about crossing the American/Canadian border, either way, in an old VW bus.
No matter how nice it is, your likely to have the interior removed and deposited on the ground.
It'll be up to you to put it all back together despite the damage they've done.

Toolshed
12-08-2014, 02:26
Just bill, If it helps, I grew up just outside of Niagara Falls and lived in North Tonawanda and worked in the Falls for years. I used to go to Toronto 2x/week to visit my old girlfriend and was a regular at the crossings. In any event, yes you do need your passport now and kids need birth certificates. you won't make good time on the 401 it is 100Km/hr still, but even slower if you cut over to Hwy 3 outside St Thomas. the OPP can make your trip a little less enjoyable. However, I would heartily recommend that get on the 401 and take it to the 403 and up through Hamilton to Toronto (It is only an hour from the Falls). Make sure you take the trip up the CN Tower and pay the extra fare to go to the very top.

As I said, you can be back to the falls within an hour, but don't rush. It is an easy drive. You'll want to at least park and walk through Clifton Hill. In fact, I would suggest, taking an extra day and heading N on the Niagara parkway to and Niagara-on-the-lake. The view of Devils Hole is phenomenal. At the mouth of the Niagara, there is a lot of history between our 2 nations.

Plan on spending more time on the Canadian side. The US side is still a hole and there are still a lot of bad spots in Niagara Falls (sorry NF US Fans, but it is true).

From Niagara falls, you can be in Rochester in about an hour and a half. (I lived there for about a decade). Still Love Wegmans (and my mom/sisters still dress up to shop there LOL).
Things to do in Rochester -
Chimney Bluffs Park (East of Rochester) walk out on hundred foot high hogsbacks that are carved by the wind and rain. These are all glacial deposits and really cool...
Hike through Mendon Ponds County Park and up and down the various Eskers and kettles left by the glaciers.
head south 45 minutes to Naples NY and hike up in to (or down into) Hi tor with it's massive canyon and falls at the southern end of Canandaigua Lake.

There is so much to do and I miss that area terribly!!!!
So good Luck and have a great trip.
PS skip the garbage plate and get a burger at ill Gray's.... (your gut will thank you later...) :)

Just Bill
12-08-2014, 11:02
It all helps!
As much as everywhere is worth exploring- this stop is simply a speed hiker smelling the roses. Coulda motored through the Cleveland route and made good miles- but seems like a decent blue blaze and a nice view- even if there's only a short bit to linger.
It'll make a 10 hour trip a 16, but seems worth it indeed- and the "risk" of cutting Canada side rather than Cleveland side and back up to NF seem worth the potential delays to me.

If there's a blue blaze to take, I'll check out the natural one over the manmade most times- although it seems the line is blurry on this detour.
Cleveland may rock- but it ain't Canada Eh.

Lyle
12-08-2014, 11:40
Canadian border crossing: I live right near Port Huron, have crossed back and forth at the border since I could drive. It's a bit tighter since 9/11, but still not a major hassle, as long as the lines aren't too bad. Border agents are just folks with a serious job to do. They don't mind a joke or two, just not about the things they are tasked with enforcing. DO NOT joke about smuggling, terrorist intentions, illegal activity, etc. You are not allowed any type of weapon in Canada.

Crossing at Detroit isn't terrible, but I usually cross at the Blue Water Bridge. Crossing back into the US in the Niagra Falls area, you have a choice of multiple bridges. I recommend the Rainbow Bridge in downtown Niagra falls. Three reasons: no commercial traffic is allowed so generally less traffic, tourist artery so they try to keep traffic moving to keep the tourists happy, if you do get caught sitting in line, you have a great view of the falls. You do have a bit of city street driving on the US side, but it is well marked and traffic generally moves well to get you back on the freeway without difficulty.

Regarding where to view the falls, I actually prefer the US side. Not quite as good of sweeping view, but you can get right up too all of the falls and view them from above. Also the State Parks on the US side allow you to explore the Niagra River as it approaches the falls, quite enjoyable, actually. Still "touristy" but not as bad as the more popular Canadian side.

atraildreamer
12-09-2014, 19:33
At the visitor's center you can buy crap, eat at Tim Hortons (they won't let you out of the country unless you can prove you've eaten at TH), and get the absolute best view of both falls.

We had Tim Hortons down here in RI for a couple of years. I really liked their coffee and donuts. :)But, alas, Dunkin' Donuts chased them back to Canada! :(

rocketsocks
12-09-2014, 19:39
Bill, if you can swing a night at the revolving restaurant atop the spire, it is simply awe-inspiring, especially at night. kinda pricey, but well worth the couple a hours my wife and I spent there....the Rigley's "you believe the ****e some people do" museum with many contraptions left over from knuckle heads going over the falls is quite entertaining as well.

rocketsocks
12-09-2014, 19:52
PS...get a window seat! ;)

rocketsocks
12-09-2014, 19:55
http://niagarafallstourism.com/eat/fallsview-dining/revolving-dining-room-skylon-tower/

check out the video

Bronk
12-11-2014, 15:32
Also, if you take the boat ride up to the falls, you get all the same views you would from the US side as you do from the Canadian side. So if you don't want to get a passport, go to the US side and take the boat ride. And I think the US side is less of a tourist trap and more like a park.

If you stay until after dark they shine colored lights on the falls. And if you go in the winter you can see huge chunks of ice go over.

Just Bill
12-11-2014, 16:11
http://niagarafallstourism.com/eat/fallsview-dining/revolving-dining-room-skylon-tower/

check out the video
The Lunch buffet may work out great actually- Hoping with a midweek stop it may not be too crowded and more fun than listening to a skinny wife tell me how cold her and the baby are. Me and the boy can do a little strolling early on and then retreat to the belly filling warmth while enjoying the view.

We're likely to only be there from 6/7 am to mid afternoon so getting a good meal and catching the falls view seems like a nice combo considering the group, lol.

And some wonder why I like solo trips :rolleyes:

rocketsocks
12-11-2014, 17:24
The Lunch buffet may work out great actually- Hoping with a midweek stop it may not be too crowded and more fun than listening to a skinny wife tell me how cold her and the baby are. Me and the boy can do a little strolling early on and then retreat to the belly filling warmth while enjoying the view.

We're likely to only be there from 6/7 am to mid afternoon so getting a good meal and catching the falls view seems like a nice combo considering the group, lol.

And some wonder why I like solo trips :rolleyes:Yup, in a house of Women, da boys gotta stick together, he will grow to become your biggest allie.;)

Another Kevin
12-13-2014, 14:28
Yup, in a house of Women, da boys gotta stick together, he will grow to become your biggest allie.;)

Don't I know it! In my house, even the cats are female!

rocketsocks
12-13-2014, 15:18
Don't I know it! In my house, even the cats are female!
I'm gonna refrain from any women cat jokes, seems the prudent thing to do...but you know it's killing me.��

handlebar
12-13-2014, 17:34
It's a good idea to contact your auto insurance company to get a "Canadian Insurance Card".

ki0eh
12-13-2014, 18:56
I used to get the Canadian insurance card religiously when I lived in upstate NY and frequently drove across the border. Then my buddy wrecked somewhere north of Quebec City and he said the Canadian card did nothing, they wanted to see the regular Usonian card. Haven't bothered with asking for the Canadian card since.

This summer, perhaps out of a sense of masochism, I international dayhiked the Falls area with just a waist pack while the distaff side did various tourist things from our hotel on the Canadian side. The Rainbow Bridge is the only Niagara bridge that accommodates pedestrians. It wasn't quite as bad as I expected.

I was unable to find regular type hiking maps of the Falls area and the upper gorge (i.e. north of/below the Falls). I carried a printout from http://www.cnyhiking.com/NYSP-NiagaraFalls.htm and also https://www.niagaraparks.com/files/Niagara-Glen-Map.pdf (the map the Niagara Glen visitor center actually sells, is much less useful!)

The Niagara Falls Discovery Center (state park concession on the north end of the more developed portion of the NY side) also had a passable map of the paths radiating from there (did not have to pay to enter the exhibits, the friendly attendant offered the map).

atraildreamer
12-27-2014, 15:45
It's a good idea to contact your auto insurance company to get a "Canadian Insurance Card".

Might also be called a "Canadian Inter-province Motor Vehicle Identification Card". I got them a couple of times from my agent when I went to Canada. Proves your auto insurance policy is good in Canada. Be sure to check with your agent before you go. Shouldn't cost you anything to get the card.